• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2015-2016 Injury List...

jrmagic

Dislocated shoulder at Cannon today. And Vista was skiing so great too. Popped it back in on trail. Waiting in Urgent care at home for a X-ray. Need to up Din to 10.5

Damn they pre-releases on you? That sucks. Some good meds and some rest and hopefully you will be back on your sticks soon!

reefer

Damn. Has it happened before so you knew you could get it back in?
I did mine 5 - 6 weeks ago. Still "creaky". Skied after 4.5 weeks but very defensively. My ski had popped off also. I cranked them up but it still took a few good runs to get the confidence back.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Displaced would be worse. That involves screws/surgery.

Heal up Puck It. They tell you to take a month off? Such a bummer

Puck it

Damn. Has it happened before so you knew you could get it back in?
I did mine 5 - 6 weeks ago. Still "creaky". Skied after 4.5 weeks but very defensively. My ski had popped off also. I cranked them up but it still took a few good runs to get the confidence back.
DIN is at 10. It just one of those pre releases where the right things come together. Heavy dense deep snow that I did not and was just starting my turn. The snow put enough tongue and had a diagonal toe release.

Whitey

DIN is at 10. It just one of those pre releases where the right things come together. Heavy dense deep snow that I did not and was just starting my turn. The snow put enough tongue and had a diagonal toe release.

That sucks. Look at it this way - maybe if the toe hadn't released you'd be looking at a shredded knee instead. Quick recovery to you.

I tore the rotator cuff in my shoulder pretty badly about 30 yrs ago. I went thru about a 5-6 yr period after that where I could sneeze hard and my shoulder would pop out. Of course that also meant that many of my ski falls resulted in me having to pop my shoulder back into place. No surgery for me (probably a mistake - too late now). Just over time the muscles built up and it started to get harder to pop it out. You eventually develop an instinct for what you can do with your arm/shoulder and what you can't.

abc

Just over time the muscles built up and it started to get harder to pop it out. You eventually develop an instinct for what you can do with your arm/shoulder and what you can't.
Probably the latter.

The muscle built up usually happens within a year or two. By that point, the body adapted to whatever deficiency you have leftover and re-wires your brain to minimize movements you can't do. And eventually, you forgot about it and consider your limitation "normal". ;-)

I've been looking into that a bit. Found a few research on people who considered themselves "fully recovered". By comparing their function of the injured side vs the uninjured side, research discovered vast majority (2/3) of people never "fully" recovered (<80% functionality). They maybe at 80% or less but my guess they don't even remember what they were capable of before their injury. :(

The sad part is doctor's, using the same information from patients who're "happy" with their recovery, basically consider those treatments that don't actually lead to full function as gold standard treatment.