• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Managers Rejoice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

The Economic condtions were right for an expansion, Cheap oil in my opinion was a big part of that . Anybody that would have been in office at that time would have looked great. His cooperation with congress had to do with the Contract with America success ( Imagine politicians proposing things to actually vote for )at least he was a pragmatist and not an idealog.

The Glass Stegal repeal that was proposed by a the Republicans and only had one Dem vote but Clinton could have Vetoed it.
So the disaster that follwed was also Bi partisan

Clinton benefited massively as well from his time in office almost perfectly coinciding with the internet boom. The internet is one of those human technological creations that happens once every......several generations in terms of it's overall magnitude in economic importance. The GDP growth that occurred during the internet revolution was positively MASSIVE, and GLOBAL in terms of its' consumer market reach, yet most of the players were American companies. Since the dawn of the computer, America has had it pretty good with the exception of a few crashes (internet bubble, housing bubble).

Attachments

• GDP time az.PNG
    GDP time az.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 61

VTKilarney

I've always believed that it myopic to hold the sitting president entirely responsible for the performance of the economy (good or bad) during their term.

BenedictGomez

I've always believed that it myopic to hold the sitting president entirely responsible for the performance of the economy (good or bad) during their term.

Terribly. The president has more of an "opportunity" to do something to impair the economy, than he does to aid the economy.

The reality in politics, however, is that perception is truth, and most people believe the president has a lot to do with the economy.

Puck it

Terribly. The president has more of an "opportunity" to do something to impair the economy, than he does to aid the economy.

The reality in politics, however, is that perception is truth, and most people believe the president has a lot to do with the economy.
I agree totally with that thought about aiding and impairing but if the economy is going to tank then he also has little effect on the tanking unless caused by his policies.

ThinkSnow

attachment.php

Attachments

• clinton budget.jpg
    clinton budget.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 102

drjeff

Where's t rest of the data? For like 2007 thru 2015!!!!!!!!

See my post above yours Puck! ;-)

Those "negative", what would be blue, lines, if it was on the same graph, get awfully long starting after the 2008 election....

Puck it

See my post above yours Puck! ;-)

Those "negative", what would be blue, lines, if it was on the same graph, get awfully long starting after the 2008 election....
I know. Interesting how people do not present all of the data when it does not shed a good picture. Thx.

JimG.

Staff member
The politics are becoming overwhelming now.

I've mentioned it twice before, this is strike 2 1/2.

mbedle

Interesting article on time.com about amount paid in Federal taxes for different income groups.

How Much Taxes You Pay By Income level

Tax Breakout.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
No politics at all. Just wanted to see the rest of the data up to now. We can agree on that. Right?

Our currently dysfunctional society is obsessed with "winning". And if we can win and gloat about it, even better.

Numbers can be used and twisted to support any viewpoint, the solution to societal issues are found in compromise.

Compromise has been lost in our political process. Politics is all about the "win". It dominates our culture.

We have decided it has no place here at AZ. Please let's try to discuss differing viewpoints without disrespecting each other.

Tin

As a stats geek I'm loving all the misleading graphs, charts, and numbers getting thrown around. We can all make numbers show whatever we want. In these discussions they are nothing more than a rhetorical device. One person posts a chart supporting their argument then BG goes all FOX and does his thing.

Whoever said numbers don't lie was a dumbass. Just let it die already.

kartski

Did you read that on Huffington Post or something? I mean, ignoring the fact that it conveniently ascribes 100% blame to Republican initiatives and is thus blatantly partisan, it makes absolutely no mathematical sense. Social Security (SS) is far more underfunded than simply a summation of any "tax cuts".

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/mspd/2012/opdm072012.pdf

Page 6 (figures in millions):

Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund..............................................2,643,386 (47,014) 2,596,371

Used to pay Bills by Dem and Repub Administrations since 1986. It is what it is. It covered Bills that Taxes didn't. It offset Tax cuts. Huff it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Surely the standard can be relaxed in the summer.

I don't see the need to relax the no politics policy when there is a million other places on the net discuss politics, including other ski forums.

Relaxing the moderation of politics on this site has been tried many times over the years and the results have been regrettable every time.

JimG.

Staff member
I give Puck it a lot of credit...he held his peace and let others give me the excuse to lock this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.