• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Managers Rejoice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puck it

And what about the student loan bubble that is going to burst when students get out and get the right paying jobs.

dlague

Yes you can. You may not be able to collect your tax refund at the end of the year, but by claiming enough deductions your not loosing out there either.

One of my buddies owns a large nursery/ landscaping company. He has guys come to him all the time with "papers" proving who they are. They are legit papers, just maybe not for the person presenting them. Not so easy to figure out who is legit, and who isn't though for that area of jobs.

Jobs at McDonald's have to pay little if any taxes unless it is a second job and then probably still in the clear. With the exception of SS taxes.

steamboat1

Again, please tell the group what students, retirees, homemakers and the disabled have to do with unemployment.
Nothing, they're not counted in the labor force therefore not counted as unemployed. If we can get the labor force participation rate down to zero the unemployment rate will be zero also. No one will be working though. A liberal panacea. Until of course we run out of other peoples money. Maybe we can tax the Greeks.

94 million not working & not even counted as unemployed. Guess you're good with that.

Oh by the way I'm counted as a participant. May be retired from Wall St. but still drawing probably a better salary than you. Pay my federal, state & local taxes too, even SS. Don't even have to consult.

Did you know that just over 17% of the disabled work? Don't know about you but I worked while a student.

Last edited:

steamboat1

Honestly this is why I think we need to start somewhere with the $50,000 threshold and other improvements to minimum wage type regulations. With all the new jobs that are being created, we have you do something to try and turn those into something a little more livable.

Manufacturing isn't coming back to this country. While we have health laws and OSHA, the factories here just don't make enough money compared to overseas. I think everyone on here agrees that corporations are not fun to work for and they are abusive in at least some manner to labor, and so look at how workers are treated in Asian and Mexican factories. It's appalling. The reason those factories are over there is not just a tax argument, it's a labor argument.

There's a lack of middle income, livable jobs in the US right now. I think the way to start bridging that gap is by starting at the bottom with what is already there instead of trying to create a new job sector out of thin air. I'll agree that the wording is a little weird and it very well might be abused by companies, but it's a start, and it's much easier to fix something than create an entirely new piece of regulation. You have to start the fight somewhere
Yeah even panhandlers are entitled to more.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nothing, they're not counted in the labor force therefore not counted as unemployed. .

Thank you for admitting the 94M figure you were throwing around is bogus regarding the unemployment number.

Good on you for stepping back from the Sean Hannity talking point you were trying to push.

And BTW, nobody cares how much money you still make in retirement. But if it makes you feel better to brag about yourself, go for it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
But you want your cake and eat it too talking about more people over the age of 65 working than ever before.........

Such a confused old man you are

bigbog

Jobs at McDonald's have to pay little if any taxes unless it is a second job and then probably still in the clear. With the exception of SS taxes.

Static numbers of the working poor are insignificant. The percentage of their income is what is significant in the mess the Feds have made of the Income Tax. Forbes' Flat Tax would right a lot of wrongs and would, at least, create more clarity where the deficit is funded from....and there should be better accounting in the financial, construction and defense industry with much more aggressive prison time for financial cheats....imho, anyone expecting taxation fairness..as well as skills-retooling...based on career skills/intelligence, not the bank account...with Obama(an AIG dude) is dreaming... I would've thought he'd have gotten the idea once he became the top guy for healthcare website development.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
Jim - you can't say things like "live of investment income quite comfortably" and "My hope is that their generation brings corporations to their knees." You can kiss the first part goodbye if the second part ever happens!!! And even if your investments are not based in any corporate stocks, mine are, so please leave big corporations alone. They are making me a pretty nice retirement pile now and I 'm going to need that pile in a couple of years.

You're right...this topic makes me crazy especially now that my oldest son is on coop from RIT. I see the confusion in his face regarding a lot of workplace issues. It's hard for me to be positive discussing it.

JimG.

Staff member
Please let's try not to kill the discussion by going politically nuclear. Easier said than done I know.

steamboat1

And BTW, nobody cares how much money you still make in retirement. But if it makes you feel better to brag about yourself, go for it.
Didn't think you or anyone else would care. Doesn't affect me in the least so I certainly don't. Just trying to clear up your earlier assertion that I was not counted in the labor force. Even my 87 year old father is still in the labor force, not that he needs to be. We need more people like him.

BenedictGomez

People who clearly dont know the first thing about Economics & Finance, should never attempt to speak intelligently about Economics & Finance.

deadheadskier

Staff member
And people who currently or used to work in the financial services industry shouldn't be throwing around that 94M figure when discussing unemployment. My retired 89 year old grandmother playing cribbage in a nursing home has nothing to do with the unemployment number.

Edd

You can go to the Bureau of Labor Statistics or the Congressional Budget Office sites to find it.

I've had a few drinks, but can't seem to find it. Pretty specific number. Honestly curious, because a number like that gets my attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.