• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Managers Rejoice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamboat1

And people who currently or used to work in the financial services industry shouldn't be throwing around that 94M figure when discussing unemployment
Why not? If the same percentage of people were still in the labor force as at the beginning of our last recession the unemployment rate would still be over 11%. And it ain't because of your grandmother.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why not? If the same percentage of people were still in the labor force as at the beginning of our last recession the unemployment rate would still be over 11%. And it ain't because of your grandmother.

Yup, you're correct. 10 years ago when the unemployment number was in the 5s, that was the real number.

But now that it's in the 5s today, the number is fake because you don't like who's in office.

What else you want to tell us? The Dow today at 17,700 also isn't real?

ScottySkis

You do realize BG is pretty much a carbon copy of yourself in his socio-economic views.

He profile is non existent at
Platty on mid winter day though didn't expect that glad to finally meet him this past winter ( I smoked resin from Glass pipe And drank wed red lol wine few drinks already don't go Yonkers fmbe patient non

steamboat1

He profile is non existent at
Platty on mid winter day though didn't expect that glad to finally meet him this past winter ( I smoked resin from Glass pipe And drank wed red lol wine few drinks already don't go Yonkers fmbe patient non

Dlague? translation pls
Haven't a clue but I think he met BG at Platty, smoked some resin & had a few wines.. I could be wrong though. No idea what Yonkers had to do with it.

Love ya Scotty.

Last edited:

SkiFanE

Anyone who thinks the long term health of this country is going in the right direction is either "in" like Flynn with corporations or just clueless. Manufacturing mass exodus from this country is going to create a massive divide of have/have nots. We're just in the infancy stage of the changes, in my opinion. The majority of non-professional jobs nowadays are service jobs - and when you just "serve" people (ie try to take the hard earned cash out of their fists) - you're going to make crap $. People like to pay as little as they can for services. Trickle down is a joke. As college becomes hard to afford - harder to get out of the rut. Sure I know there are plumbers, electricians and a few other trades. But heck - how many car mechanics exist anymore? Cheaper to toss another cheap part made with cheap labor jnto a car than to actually repair it.

No- I don't have a finance or economics degree - guess back in "my day" it wasn't a qualification for cocktail or Internet chit chat - so go easy on me. I am venturing on thin ice - and don't want to drown before me next ski season.

BTW - being a dummy I don't know the terms to describe an economy such as Colombia's. But since I know the country quite well - they are the perfect image of a service based economy. Little manufacturing. You can hire a maid full time to cook and clean for you for $100/week, or less. You pay nothing for car service. With no minimum wage - offer $1/hr for work - and chances are some poor souls living in a dirt shack will do it for you. Police make shit $ too - so bribe them $10 and chances are they'll take care of whatever police work you need done. It's great to have maids and cooks and gardeners to maintain your lifestyle. But it's a major mess of a country due to such a huge population of poor. And with the rich holding all the cards - I don't see it changing any time soon - it's sad.

Puck it

The key is the definition of rich. It is not not some arbitrary number. Not needing to go to work is my idea of rich.

Edd

The key is the definition of rich. It is not not some arbitrary number. Not needing to go to work is my idea of rich.

I agree with the thing about work. I think we can pick a number, though. If you're making 500K/year, and you can't live within your means and retire early, well, you're doing it wrong.

Puck it

I agree with the thing about work. I think we can pick a number, though. If you're making 500K/year, and you can't live within your means and retire early, well, you're doing it wrong.
$250K is not rich like some think. That is two professionals(husband and wife) working in a tech job for 10+ years with two kids in school and not getting any aid to pay for them. Nice house and two decent cars. And going to work everyday. That is what some people say is rich. I agree with the $500K to some extent. People making that much money and are getting W2' for salaries do not have the options of hiding income like the filthy rich.

Edd

$250K is not rich like some think. That is two professionals(husband and wife) working in a tech job for 10+ years with two kids in school and not getting any aid to pay for them. Nice house and two decent cars. And going to work everyday. That is what some people say is rich. I agree with the $500K to some extent. People making that much money and are getting W2' for salaries do not have the options of hiding income like the filthy rich.

If the couple in this example gets a modest house, has one kid instead of two, and so forth, they can live relatively worry free.

My view is that the expectations of what people deserve is out to lunch these days. 40 years ago, the nuclear family with the house and the cars was far more achievable. Now it isn't. It's simply the new reality.

How to respond to that? Live totally and completely within your means. Some know how to do that. Way too many, some wealthy, don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.