• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Managers Rejoice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdironRider

And I suspect F&B managers are dancing in the streets as well with Obama's new decree that salaried employees below 50k will qualify for overtime.

My wife is a manager for a ski resort, and while I'm sure they will pull some chicanery that ultimately screws us, at face value we just a nice pay raise considering she puts in at least 50 hours a week, all year round.

I do wonder what this will do for ski resorts, whose whole employment model revolves around paying people dirt because their is a line out the door to replace them.

AdironRider

I wonder how often F & B managers actually dance in the streets.

Probably pretty often, its just between 1 and 4am when most normal folk are sleeping. While at the time I had fun, now that I'm past thirty I put more faith in the "nothing good happens after midnight" mantra.

Edd

My fiancé works at a ski area year round. She's got some thoughts about this, which I won't yak on about, but the business model will require adjustment (stating obvious). We also discuss a future brain drain; truly knowledgable employees being in shorter supply down the line, unlikely to be replaced.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's a step in the right direction. I averaged over 80 hours per week during ski season as an F&B manager.

Only thing I have an issue with is the rather arbitrary $50K cut off. That's great if you live up in Rangeley and are a manager at Saddleback. That sucks if you work in Aspen.

VTKilarney

They'll hire more managers so nobody works over 40 hours. Look for hours to potentially be cut in some cases. Don't count on a pay raise. And it's not official yet, is it?

deadheadskier

Staff member
At the time, I would have been perfectly happy with my salary at 40 hours. At 80+? Hell no it was never worth it.

Food service managers are some of the most abused workers in this country. I loved the intensity of the business, but the quality of life sucks.

snoseek

They'll hire more managers so nobody works over 40 hours. Look for hours to potentially be cut in some cases. Don't count on a pay raise. And it's not official yet, is it?

Honestly there's really not enough qualified or ambitious enough people to fill the slots. At least in my little world

snoseek

At the time, I would have been perfectly happy with my salary at 40 hours. At 80+? Hell no it was never worth it.

Food service managers are some of the most abused workers in this country. I loved the intensity of the business, but the quality of life sucks.

This is why I got the hell out of year round positions. I make roughly the same money and get big breaks in between usually. With that said I just worked the last 4 weeks without aday off and I'm so damn tired. Being seasonal I can negotiate a good hourly wage so when those 80 hour weeks come I'm getting paid

AdironRider

It's a step in the right direction. I averaged over 80 hours per week during ski season as an F&B manager.

Only thing I have an issue with is the rather arbitrary $50K cut off. That's great if you live up in Rangeley and are a manager at Saddleback. That sucks if you work in Aspen.

I think you would be surprised just how little ski resort managers make, even at premier locations out West.

They certainly make more than Saddleback managers I'm sure, but not by much, and it actually feels like less when a 1 bedroom rathole rental runs 2k+ (like here in Jackson, Aspen, etc).

mbedle

I would guess that some resorts will look at adjust some salaries up to avoid the overtime issue. If you are working 20-30 hours overtime during the ski season, a 40+K per year employee is going to bring home more than 50K in pay.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Really? I was pulling down high 40s 12 years ago at Wisp and Snowshoe. I'd figure those same jobs today are over 50k in those locations and more like 70-90k out west. Thats why the $50K figure seemed not great as a threshold. These were Assistant F&B Director jobs.

AdironRider

I would guess that some resorts will look at adjust some salaries up to avoid the overtime issue. If you are working 20-30 hours overtime during the ski season, a 40+K per year employee is going to bring home more than 50K in pay.

When all is said and done, I think you will see more folks moved to hourly, and they'll try and hire more entry level, seasonal employees.

AdironRider

Really? I was pulling down high 40s 12 years ago at Wisp and Snowshoe. I'd figure those same jobs today are over 50k in those locations and more like 70-90k out west. Thats why the $50K figure seemed not great as a threshold. These were Assistant F&B Director jobs.

Directors yes, I think you are accurate, maybe a bit high, but not to far off. I'm thinking the next rung down, the managers of specific outlets, departments, etc.

drjeff

When all is said and done, I think you will see more folks moved to hourly, and they'll try and hire more entry level, seasonal employees.

That's what I'm thinking. Just like when the regulations went into effect with the definition of "full time" for hourly workers being 32 hours with respect to the Affordable Care Act and healthcare benefits and how that caused a significant change in the number of hours worked for many in the workforce to get around it, I suspect something similar in this case for salaried employees, not to mention at least that they'll also have to be punching a time clock now to see how many hours they are actually working.

Just like many a law/regulation that has been pitched to the public as being "for the worker" in the end it will likely end up being more for the corporation once/if this enacted and we see how business reacts to it......

deadheadskier

Staff member
32 hours as a qualifier for full time employment and benefits has been a standard for most companies long before ACA. At minimum as long as I've been in the workforce (early 90s). The ACA was just following the lead of socially responsible private business.

Puck it

Why make a level? Everyone that is salaried works more than 40 hours a week. Why should we all get the mandatory overtime for the time put in? I have been on vacation since 6/20 and have been on three to four calls a day. Some vacation and I get no additional pay.

Oh wait, people at my level can afford it. F that. Just another way this administration is turning unequal ways to make things even.

and let's give everyone trophies.

Last edited:

dlague

Why make a level? Everyone that is salaried works more than 40 hours a week. Why should we all get the mandatory overtime for the time put in? I have been on vacation since 6/20 and have been on three to four calls a day. Some vacation and I get no additional pay.

Oh wait, people at my level can afford it. F that. Just another way this administration is turning unequal ways to make things even.

and let's give everyone trophies.

It is like the arbitrary $250K level related to taxes - total BS!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I put in my 50+ too and take calls on vacation.

That said, I do so by choice.

When I was putting in 80+ in a F&B management positions, it was not by choice. It was the unwillingness of Intrawest and other large corporate entities to hire additional management/supervisor help and setting forth unreasonable expectations for labor cost percentages on line level staff.

The regulations are needed to protect such workers from those unreasonable work environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.