• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ex-Raiders QB Ken Stabler dead at 69

JimG.

Staff member
In the 70's I liked the Raiders, the original bad boys of the sports world.

The Snake was one of my favorite players, probably because was a lefty. He was a damned good QB too.

Stage 4 colon cancer. Totally preventable with regular colonoscopies. It makes me sad that his death from cancer could have been prevented. If you are over 50, get screened!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sad, but unfortunately some folks still get the disease even with regular screening. A friend of mine just got diagnosed and had a foot of his colon removed at 45 years old. He had his first colonoscopy at 30, second at 40 and once a year since. I forget the name of the condition, but literally everyone in his family has gotten the disease due to some genetic predisposition.

But you are right that not enough people get screened and many people die of colon cancer who shouldn't. For many it's lack of insurance or extremely expensive deductibles.

Interesting timing of this subject. I just had dinner with the CEO of my company. He just got back to the states from a trip home to Japan. He's 57 years old and had his annual health screening, same screening he's had every year since he turned 50. That screening includes a PSA blood test for prostate cancer, an endoscopic scope, colonoscopy, full upper body CT-scan and an ultrasound of his heart. Full day at the doctor's office to go through all this. His out of pocket expense? $400 This is available to anyone participating in the national health insurance plan. Even with a Lamborghini health insurance plan the same screening would cost you $5k plus in the US.

The Japanese have the highest life expectancy in the world. Screenings like above are a big reason why.

Their universal health care costs 8.5% of GDP per capita. Our private health care in the US costs us 17.1% of GDP per capita.

Knowing these realities, Japan's approach to healthcare should be what the US aspires to.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I thought that after posting it. Can people talk about healthcare without putting their political party pledge pins on? Guess we'll have to stay tuned.

It was an amazing story to hear from my CEO though. I don't know about you, but I've lost dozens of friends and family to disease at an early age that I likely would not have, if an affordable screening like the Japanese gets was available in the US. Healthcare is a much bigger priority for that nation and a far smaller drain on their individual and national finances.

hammer

Stage 4 colon cancer. Totally preventable with regular colonoscopies. It makes me sad that his death from cancer could have been prevented. If you are over 50, get screened!
The prep is tough but I'm glad I got it out of the way. Doesn't run in the family so I'm good for 10 years. Plus if it's a routine exam it's completely covered under the ACA with no deductible (just stating a fact, not making a political statement for or against).

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Football was so different then:

090416_Madden39_wStabler_v.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
Sad, but unfortunately some folks still get the disease even with regular screening. A friend of mine just got diagnosed and had a foot of his colon removed at 45 years old. He had his first colonoscopy at 30, second at 40 and once a year since. I forget the name of the condition, but literally everyone in his family has gotten the disease due to some genetic predisposition.

But you are right that not enough people get screened and many people die of colon cancer who shouldn't. For many it's lack of insurance or extremely expensive deductibles.

Interesting timing of this subject. I just had dinner with the CEO of my company. He just got back to the states from a trip home to Japan. He's 57 years old and had his annual health screening, same screening he's had every year since he turned 50. That screening includes a PSA blood test for prostate cancer, an endoscopic scope, colonoscopy, full upper body CT-scan and an ultrasound of his heart. Full day at the doctor's office to go through all this. His out of pocket expense? $400 This is available to anyone participating in the national health insurance plan. Even with a Lamborghini health insurance plan the same screening would cost you $5k plus in the US.

The Japanese have the highest life expectancy in the world. Screenings like above are a big reason why.

Their universal health care costs 8.5% of GDP per capita. Our private health care in the US costs us 17.1% of GDP per capita.

Knowing these realities, Japan's approach to healthcare should be what the US aspires to.

I could not agree more!

More about healthcare, not about that p word.

JimG.

Staff member
The prep is tough but I'm glad I got it out of the way. Doesn't run in the family so I'm good for 10 years. Plus if it's a routine exam it's completely covered under the ACA with no deductible (just stating a fact, not making a political statement for or against).

Tell me about it! Not sure being told I would be knocked out cold and wouldn't feel thing made me feel better about the procedure either.

But now glad I got it done.

ScottySkis

Cancer have this disease we need to give other s out their other ways of treatment then what we had cannibus can help to. Lots of herbs and plants out their. Loss of any love one our friends to early I. Life so sorry

deadheadskier

Staff member
Tell me about it! Not sure being told I would be knocked out cold and wouldn't feel thing made me feel better about the procedure either.

But now glad I got it done.

It's better than the alternative; a Barium Enema. That you are wide awake for and have half a gallon of fluid shot up your rectum. You have to clinch your butt closed to hold it in while being rolled around a table getting a dozen plus Xrays.

The most common reason for getting a BE now is a failed colonoscopy. If your anatomy doesn't allow the scope to the end of your colon, after you wake up from that cavity violation, you get wheeled down to radiology for a BE.

There's a lot of things I miss about working in Xray. Administering a BE would not be one of them.

JimG.

Staff member
It's better than the alternative; a Barium Enema. That you are wide awake for and have half a gallon of fluid shot up your rectum. You have to clinch your butt closed to hold it in while being rolled around a table getting a dozen plus Xrays.

The most common reason for getting a BE now is a failed colonoscopy. If your anatomy doesn't allow the scope to the end of your colon, after you wake up from that cavity violation, you get wheeled down to radiology for a BE.

There's a lot of things I miss about working in Xray. Administering a BE would not be one of them.

No thank you.