• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2015 Binding Discussion

Puck it

xwhaler

Go for the Free Flex for the carvers. Great binding. For the Steadfast go for the MOJO

Those both look like very solid choices---all else being equal I'm probably choosing something where the color scheme matches the skis well haha...so looking for some orange for both skis

wa-loaf

What's the difference between the Head GTO and Mojo? A 15 din binding for $99 (GTO) seems like a steal.

xwhaler

How much is reasonable to expect brakes to bend? Would the 78 mm possibly work without much effort on an 80 waisted ski?
Ive read some manufacturers are looser with their width tolerance

Puck it

How much is reasonable to expect brakes to bend? Would the 78 mm possibly work without much effort on an 80 waisted ski?
Ive read some manufacturers are looser with their width tolerance
You can bend that brake 2mm without a problem. I have bent brakes 10mm to fit.

xwhaler

Would I just be better getting the 88 and spending the extra $45 and not worrying about it?
I'm not mounting these myself so need to make sure a local shop (likely Putnams in Portsmouth) will do this for me

Puck it

Would I just be better getting the 88 and spending the extra $45 and not worrying about it?
I'm not mounting these myself so need to make sure a local shop (likely Putnams in Portsmouth) will do this for me
They can bend them for you when they mount them. Stop by and ask them first though. I would not waist the extra money.

And you are such a fashion whore for wanting the colors t match!!!!!

skiNEwhere

No, my most recent binding purchase was some Tyrolia attack 13s. They have a 95/97ish brake and I'm using them on Watea 84s and haven't had any hang-ups with the brakes.

I have a friend who bought some tyrolia's (forget what type) and he stated that they were the worst bindings he ever had. Just terrible durability.

Here's another pic that a different friend took of one of the jackson hole instructors goofing around in tyrolia's. Notice anything wrong? You shouldn't be able to do this.....

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1436890946.985181.jpg

So DHS if you were considering the tyrolia's as a backup, I'd do your homework on them.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hadn't really considered them as my dad broke a couple pairs back in the day. I suppose a poor design in the 90s shouldn't sway my opinion today, but that's always stuck with me.

skiNEwhere

Hadn't really considered them as my dad broke a couple pairs back in the day. I suppose a poor design in the 90s shouldn't sway my opinion today, but that's always stuck with me.

Threw ya a bone in ES. Might have some good suggestions pop up, some of those guys on there are total gear junkies.

Puck it

I have broken Tryolia's and so has my son (Heads and Markers) but those were the binding that contained a lot of plastic. I have never had any issues with their top of the line binders. I would stay away from any manufacturer's binding with all plastic casing.

BTW, you can step into any binding backwards.

wa-loaf

I have a friend who bought some tyrolia's (forget what type) and he stated that they were the worst bindings he ever had. Just terrible durability.

If you are buying at the higher end there may be some quirks that you like about certain bindings and hate about others, but in general they all work great these days. Never had a problem with any bindings including the 80's Tyrolia's (all metal versions!) I had.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
If you are buying at the higher end there may be some quirks that you like about certain bindings and hate about others, but in general they all work great these days. Never had a problem with any bindings including the 80's Tyrolia's (all metal versions!) I had.

+1. After 40 plus years of skiing, I have never noticed any difference in feel between bindings (that were in working order) until I started to tele ski!

deadheadskier

Staff member
TBH honest, I haven't noticed much difference in performance (other than durability) either until the system bindings on My Fischer Motives and on my Marker Dukes. Both really don't offer the same foot feel / terrain feedback as some of the old Salomons I skied or even the Rossi Axial series. That's why I started looking at the Pivot design.