• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2015 Binding Discussion

Puck it

TBH honest, I haven't noticed much difference in performance (other than durability) either until the system bindings on My Fischer Motives and on my Marker Dukes. Both really don't offer the same foot feel / terrain feedback as some of the old Salomons I skied or even the Rossi Axial series. That's why I started looking at the Pivot design.
You just want a flat binding with riser. The Dukes and Barons have a different feel over flat bindings. I noticed it when I switched from the Mojo's. I feel the difference on the Ski Logiks with the Jesters

deadheadskier

Staff member
Don't want a riser. Lower the stand height, the better for bumps. If I was looking to maximize carving performance, I'd go for a riser.

wa-loaf

You just want a flat binding with riser. The Dukes and Barons have a different feel over flat bindings. I noticed it when I switched from the Mojo's. I feel the difference on the Ski Logiks with the Jesters

What he said, the Dukes have a lot going on between your boot and the skis. Just pick something up that gets you closer to the ski.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pulled the trigger on the Salomon STH2 WTR13 w/ 100mm brake. Not too wide for the Steadfast at 90mm, but a little wider should I need the room in a higher 90s ski someday.

$150 with free shipping

Good enough deal for me.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Since your off subject of Look's , I've been thinking about going with some Dynafit or other Tech binding for AT , My biggest concern is pre release in no fall zone , I have dukes but the weight is a major drawback.
Any of you guys gone from or to Tech's and if so , is my concern overrated?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think I'll just change the title of the thread to 2015 binding discussion. Maybe that will draw more folks in as opposed to a specific model like I had was asking about with the Look. I liked the idea of the Pivot, but in the end I couldn't get behind the value proposition.

Good luck with getting good advice and some new AT bindings Bob!

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I think I'll just change the title of the thread to 2015 binding discussion. Maybe that will draw more folks in as opposed to a specific model like I had was asking about with the Look. I liked the idea of the Pivot, but in the end I couldn't get behind the value proposition.

Good luck with getting good advice and some new AT bindings Bob!

Yes Thanks , I posted a question on T4T , It's been slow over there . My touring partner was new to Dynafits and apparently she did'nt lock down the toe for climbing and had a bunch of releases . So I guess my first impression of them was based on opperator error.
I think I'll be moving the Dukes to the Steadfasts and maybe dynafits on my old ski's . AT stuff seams way over priced for what it is. A good deal on skis may turn out to be a unintended chain reaction.

bigbog

............I think I'll be moving the Dukes to the Steadfasts and maybe dynafits on my old ski's . AT stuff seams way over priced for what it is. A good deal on skis may turn out to be a unintended chain reaction.

Haven't purchase but have tried stepping into both Dynafits and Marker F12s in a shop = really solid despite what Dynafits look like in a few pics. The ultra-lightweight of the Dynafits were nice..but there are some other ATs, DIN 16 Beast..to choose from...etc. The Markers were slightly higher than Solly's Guardian but were 0deg ramp which I really liked.....fwiw.

xwhaler

These also seem like a good setup for the Blizzards....$99 for the 78 which is probably not going to work and never sure about bending the brake.
So $144 which seems like a nice buy for what looks like a well made binding
http://www.levelninesports.com/Head-Gto-15-Ski-Bindings

Update: Bought these for the Blizzard Magnum Ti's---$107 shipped. Got a new hardpack setup on top notch gear (albeit a couple yrs older model, just change graphics) for $280. Hard to beat
Will now continue to look for bindings for the Steadfasts

xwhaler

No, my most recent binding purchase was some Tyrolia attack 13s. They have a 95/97ish brake and I'm using them on Watea 84s and haven't had any hang-ups with the brakes.

Wa-Loaf, can you share how much of the binding is metal/how durable they feel or have been in real life for you? This is likely the binding I end up with for the Steadfasts but just looking for a real-world review.

Most concerned about quality---I tend to not notice the subtle differences in bindings as much as maybe others do but want to pay for quality---I look for as much metal as I can at a reasonable cost knowing they will last longer than crap made with all plastic.

Puck it

Wa-Loaf, can you share how much of the binding is metal/how durable they feel or have been in real life for you? This is likely the binding I end up with for the Steadfasts but just looking for a real-world review.

Most concerned about quality---I tend to not notice the subtle differences in bindings as much as maybe others do but want to pay for quality---I look for as much metal as I can at a reasonable cost knowing they will last longer than crap made with all plastic.

This is is a good price. Look similar to the Mojo's 12 that my son broke though.

http://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/he...Jtb0ZTc9gN2l2vyrK1XbvaQSRpVrB9BF0kaAukP8P8HAQ

dlague

I find the discussion here interesting. I am a Look PX/ Rossignol Axial fan and never had a problem with them. I have never really looked at bindings in a long term sort of way. I replace skis about every four years of so and the bindings goo too. I buy new bindings at the same time. I have never really thought about them too much either outside of DIN settings, brake size and good reviews.

Then again, I do not huck cliffs or go for huge air.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Elasticity should be a concern for you. It's not just the DIN setting that keeps you from prereleasing or not releasing when you should.

I'll get ten years out of a decent binding. So, I'd rather pay a bit more upfront and save on the lifetime cost of ownership.

Maybe I was unlucky, but I've broken the Axial twice in the past. Once was the toe, once was the heel. This was skiing in bumps, not groomers. They were the 120 version, which is mostly plastic. That's probably why

xwhaler

It seems difficult to really get a sense from online how much metal vs plastic is in each binding. Seems it would be an obvious selling point but one that is rarely highlighted.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I agree

I actually called Salomon about the bindings I bought. The rep said a mix of metal and plastic. Essentially provided zero insight to the construction.

Guess that's where it helps to buy from brick and mortar stores.