• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2015 Binding Discussion

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have the higher end Tyrolia/Head bindings and love them. They are mostly steel so I have not had any issues. Pretty easy for me to get the heavier MoJo models at LevelNine at a low price. Not sure how their new AT models are though. I, too, was spooked initially by the problems that they had back in the day, but several retailers assured me back in 2002 and 2003 that those issues were long gone. Since then I have had at least five pair with no problem at all. I have some of their cheaper models too and I don't like too much plastic. My recent ones have all been DIN 14, 15, or 16 and they are durable bindings.

I've also had several different Marker models in the past and have liked them. In my experience Marker is just really expensive.

I also had, back in the day, an old Look Pivot binding and they looked and felt odd. But they worked.

bigbog

Owned a pair of FreeFlex(HEAD) ~4-5winters ago = the performance still has me thinking my ascents... Wish they were made as a non-system...maybe wrapped in different name.

Last edited:

wa-loaf

Wa-Loaf, can you share how much of the binding is metal/how durable they feel or have been in real life for you? This is likely the binding I end up with for the Steadfasts but just looking for a real-world review.

Most concerned about quality---I tend to not notice the subtle differences in bindings as much as maybe others do but want to pay for quality---I look for as much metal as I can at a reasonable cost knowing they will last longer than crap made with all plastic.

They seem to be mostly plastic, but it feels like a denser version than in other bindings. I got a good deal on them, I think I paid $129. My Marker Griffons are also mostly plastic. I do look for metal in most cases, but not tied to it.

xwhaler

Just pulled the trigger on these for the Steadfasts. PuckIt tells me they are mostly all metal and he hasn't broken any yet...knowing how he skis I trust that I won't break them either

I don't need a 15 din binding but higher din bindings usually are more metal so the perceived quality is higher. At $99 shipped it was hard to say no.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311373746758

Last edited:

dlague

Just pulled the trigger on these for the Steadfasts. PuckIt tells me they are mostly all metal and he hasn't broken any yet...knowing how he skis I trust that I won't break them either

I don't need a 15 din binding but higher din bindings usually are more metal so the perceived quality is higher. At $99 shipped it was hard to say no.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311373746758

asogear often has good deals. Bought a few things from them last year. Should post that in the Summer Deals Thread.