• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Forecast 2015-2016

steamboat1

While it is depressing to an extent it's far to early to worry. I'll just have to make it up by skiing 4-5 days in a row when it gets good (it will) as opposed to 2-3 days.

catsup948

Things can change. It will be curious to see if there any signs of a consistent pattern change by mid Jan. If not we should start getting concerned.

steamboat1

I wouldn't be surprised if you see a few areas that are open now close before the end of this week. Trail counts will be reduced at those remaining. It's going to get ugly out there.
After just a quick look around Bromley, Hunter & Belleayre closed. Snowdon quad at K closed. This before the rain even arrived.

Riverveteran

We should be concerned. No Xmas - resorts will be losing a huge % of annual revenues, we could see the NELSAP list grow, coupled with higher ticket prices and fewer capital improvements at the bigger resorts.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
hazards_d3_7_contours.png

Rushski

Can't go by what we have or haven't had yet... Last December, 27th to be exact I was playing doubles beach volleyball in the low 50s for temps...

Would be nice to have some snow now, but if we're patient...

skiberg

I cant get excited by that very brief blast of arctic air. Temps are going to be off the charts warm all of next week. They will loose a fair amount of any snow they make.

dlague

I cant get excited by that very brief blast of arctic air. Temps are going to be off the charts warm all of next week. They will loose a fair amount of any snow they make.

But nights will be cold enough to continue snowmaking. The worst days will be the 25th and 26th but still cold nights.

drjeff

But nights will be cold enough to continue snowmaking. The worst days will be the 25th and 26th but still cold nights.

Unfortunately with air masses like we have this week, and likely next week as well, the humidity and inversion factors could very well make snowmaking at best very marginal production wise, and at worst, not happening at all.

Long range "hope" (and we all know how much faith you can realistically put into a forecast that is over 2 weeks out :( ) is that something resembling "real" winter air arrives and stays for a while AFTER New Years Weekend

Unfortunately across all of New England this important for business holiday week approaching, we may be looking at a situation where the number of total ski areas closed is greater than the number of open ski areas :eek: :eek: :eek:

skiberg

Unfortunately, your prognostication sounds more in line with what I have been reading. I am not confident that we will have many opportunities to make snow Christmas week.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My big concern at this point is with the assumed financial bloodbath the resorts will experience over the holidays, how does that affect the rest of season operations?

Will snowmaking budgets get slashed at numerous areas and available terrain be limited most of the rest of the season short of help from natural snow. Areas closing early in spring to mitigate losses. I'm sure K will still go deep, but many others may close earlier than normal.

skiberg

I agree, its going to be a blood bath. I think like 30% of total revenue is related to Christmas Week. Going to be a lot of financial fallout from this. This is one year when Cannon is lucky. Any loss goes in to the general fund and will have much less if any impact upon them.