Winter Forecast 2015-2016 - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    I'll take it. After the past two winters, less cold is a good thing.

Attachment 17294
    Especially since a lot of the ridging that brought the intense cold is often responsible for storms missing the 40/70 benchmark for big storms.
    I also do the Twitters.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bear View Post
    Especially since a lot of the ridging that brought the intense cold is often responsible for storms missing the 40/70 benchmark for big storms.
    This will be the third season I've followed this weather sub-forum. All of my meteorological knowledge has come from here. That being said... please translate into somewhat-laymen's terms that are above Weather Channel terminology but below the level of BenedictGomez and the like.
    2017-2018 3 Days and counting...
    Mount Snow: 11/12 Stratton: 11/22 Killington: 12/1
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Everything has to average out.

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    This will be the third season I've followed this weather sub-forum. All of my meteorological knowledge has come from here. That being said... please translate into somewhat-laymen's terms that are above Weather Channel terminology but below the level of BenedictGomez and the like.
    This is my understanding of it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Look at this pic

http://apps.startribune.com/blogs/us...ges/500Tue.jpg

Don't pay attention to the exact location of the Low, but look how it creates front lines that run up the East Coast. That's how you get big storms in this part of the country. It pulls cold air from Canada at the same time that it pulls moisture from the ocean.

If you move that low a hundred miles or so East, and New England is no longer in the vertical front lines, the air will be colder, but the front will block access to the moisture and most of the storm will be pushed out to sea. So you may get some snow, but not the blockbuster storms.

This is also partly responsible for why Southern New England has done so well the past few years. The low was over northern/central New England, and southern area was located at the front boundaries.
    I also do the Twitters.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bear View Post
    This is my understanding of it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Look at this pic

http://apps.startribune.com/blogs/us...ges/500Tue.jpg

Don't pay attention to the exact location of the Low, but look how it creates front lines that run up the East Coast. That's how you get big storms in this part of the country. It pulls cold air from Canada at the same time that it pulls moisture from the ocean.

If you move that low a hundred miles or so East, and New England is no longer in the vertical front lines, the air will be colder, but the front will block access to the moisture and most of the storm will be pushed out to sea. So you may get some snow, but not the blockbuster storms.

This is also partly responsible for why Southern New England has done so well the past few years. The low was over northern/central New England, and southern area was located at the front boundaries.
    or

Collect moisture from the pacific
    then moves into cold arctic air that plunges south
    collect more moisture fron the gulf
    shoot up the eastern cost to NE and dump!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

All the predictions in one place:

http://opensnow.com/news/post/el-nin...paign=20150831
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." Tommy Magliozzi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVxZe82uy4Y

This forecast Sucks! The've been right alot but there due for a screw up. Pattern has Alaska in a cold pattern, no accounting for the blob.

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVxZe82uy4Y

This forecast Sucks! The've been right alot but there due for a screw up. Pattern has Alaska in a cold pattern, no accounting for the blob.
    I love the economic forecast that goes along with this. They could add with the sucky winter forecast for 2015-16 that winter clothing and equipment will see record low prices for spring 2016!
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." Tommy Magliozzi

Thread Information