• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Forecast 2015-2016

skiberg

Good god, is that 5 inches of rain??!!! Am I reading that correctly?

WoodCore

The ten day forecast is just depressing.

I'm not giving up hope just yet. Remember the winter of 2006-2007, no significant snowfall until Valentines day but after that storm the rest of the season was fantastic right through April. I believe that year was also an El Niño year.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JimG.

Staff member
I'm not giving up hope just yet. Remember the winter of 2006-2007, no significant snowfall until Valentines day but after that storm the rest of the season was fantastic right through April. I believe that year was also an El Niño year.

A voice of reason.

Keeping the faith.

catsup948

I remember that season well. Epic turn around. We would need something better than that to get to average by seasons end in the mountains. I just hope for a month of good winter and maybe we get lucky in March. After Wednesdays rain storm the pattern looks pretty good!

jrmagic

I remember that season well. Epic turn around. We would need something better than that to get to average by seasons end in the mountains. I just hope for a month of good winter and maybe we get lucky in March. After Wednesdays rain storm the pattern looks pretty good!

At this point I don't care about seasonal average totals. If it turns around after next week and starts snowing like it did that season I will be very happy.

dlague

Hey if it going to be wet next week, it is better that it happens mid week than on the weekend. Chances are that they will be able to make some snow but the week's end.

hammer

Somehow I think it will be a little more crowded this weekend. No natural, but ski areas that can make snow have managed to open up a lot of trails and the temps will be mild. Also no football games to keep people at home, although that didn't keep the crowds away last year on Superbowl Sunday.

dlague

Interesting tidbit. Watching the news and they had a chart comparing last year to this year. In Concord we have received 12.4 inches last year we were at 39.5. They do note that today last year Concord got 30 inches with the first real storm of the season. Moral of the story - there is hope still.

Los

Someone posted this at Killington zone -- another measure of just how bad this season really is:

"Went over to archive.org and using the Wayback Machine https://archive.org/web/ grabbed the "season to date" snowfall totals on Feb 1 from our two most recent years with historically bad starts (2006-2007) 82" and (2011-2012) 85". We're at 32" for the year and its Feb. 1 on Monday. Here's hoping we finish the season like 06-07. That year it didn't get good till the Valentine's Day storm rolled in, http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-n ... -day/61535. A repeat of that sure would be nice."

BenedictGomez

Improvement.

CZ_PjZrWAAArEZH.jpg

skibumski

Hopefully the warm Atlantic doesn't pull the storms out that way too far. Definitely some promise for stormy weather there.

BenedictGomez

Lots of shots on goal coming up on the models tonight.

Just need to cash one in, but after Feb 5th'ish, it looks like the pattern is productive.

hammer

Just wondering what the trends really are...long range forecasts aren't putting us in the deep freeze, just back to seasonal norms. Don't mind the lack of snow in my back yard but even with just a few trips this season I'm already tired of being on the groomers with the masses. Maybe I need a midweek trip to reset...

bigbog

Interesting tidbit. Watching the news and they had a chart comparing last year to this year. In Concord we have received 12.4 inches last year we were at 39.5. They do note that today last year Concord got 30 inches with the first real storm of the season. Moral of the story - there is hope still...

for lowly Bangor:
15/16: 5"
14/15: 42"

..A typically lousy New England winter so far, but there's still a little more time to 15/16...
If Ullr keeps on falling asleep on the couch we're gonna need a lot of rain for the streams/brooks come summer.

Last edited:

WoodCore

Potential for something around February 9th. Still to early to get worked up about it.

gfs_ptype_slp_east_33.jpg

VTKilarney

We are going to lose a lot of ground by the time Wednesday's rain storm is done. It's frustrating, because we were one good snowstorm away from some very good skiing.

I've mentally come to the conclusion that I may not be skiing for a week or two. This will be true if the soft snow that we have right now freezes up hard.

At Burke yesterday, the snow got quite soft by the afternoon. Soft snow on bumps is great, but soft snow on groomed trails just isn't that fun in my book. And Burke has no moguls on snowmaking trails, so the cover has gotten too thin to ski what moguls they have.

There were also a lot of bare spots on the edges of trails that had not been there just a day or two ago. You can even see where a couple of bare spots are about to poke through on snowmaking trails.