• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AT Binding Discussion

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Been away. I've missed a lot of discussion here. The Markers seem to be pretty popular and do really well front side so maybe I won't discount them so quickly. I excluded tech bindings from the discussion primarily because my new boots don't have tech fittings.

I also recently found my copy of Backcountry magazine from last September. I'd completely forgotten. Top picks besides Dynafit techs? Salomon Guardian WTR 13, Fischer Adrenalin 16, Marker Tour F12.

Also reviewed: Marker Dukes, Frtschi Freeride Pro and Scout.

The favorite seems to be the Fischers. At 5 lbs. a little lighter than the Dukes heavier than the Freerides. The summation? "A solid argument for the obsolescence of alpine bindings."

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Hawkshot99

The favorite seems to be the Fischers. At 5 lbs. a little lighter than the Dukes heavier than the Freerides. The summation? "A solid argument for the obsolescence of alpine bindings."

Absolutely not. Yes I can ski my Dukes as a regular Alpine binding every day, but would much prefer my Griffons. Lighter, shorter stack height, and more rigid.

bigbog

Yeah, have been thinking between something on the burlier side(rougher terrain/bumps/crud) of the true techs = Beast 14/16 or Kingpin?(haven't read up on Kingpin much) ....or going with a Tour F12.
Anyone with time on both or just the Beasts...?

Last edited:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Yeah, have been thinking between something on the burlier side(rougher terrain/bumps/crud) of the true techs = Beast 14/16 or Kingpin?(haven't read up on Kingpin much) ....or going with a Tour F12.
Anyone with time on both or just the Beasts...?

The Beast 14/16 run about $750 and the Kingpins go for about $650

There's always this for $99:
voile_3_pin_cable_telemark_binding__63645.1378329477.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:

bigbog

The Beast 14/16 run about $750 and the Kingpins go for about $650

There's always this for $99:
voile_3_pin_cable_telemark_binding__63645.1378329477.1280.1280.jpg

I know.....well, from not skiing much these last years...I've got a little spending $$$ saved up..but marcski's got me thinking about BC XC too = lots of terrain that's great for BC XC.
Both BC XC can work, like AT(lockedheel) and Tele in the BC....

Last edited:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Don't mock them. I have them on my backcountry XC setup. :).
No mocking intended. Merely posted to show how inexpensive a bc set up can be, especially if you're willing to tele. Another plus is that in the back country this is infinitely easier to repair.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
No mocking intended. Merely posted to show how inexpensive a bc set up can be, especially if you're willing to tele. Another plus is that in the back country this is infinitely easier to repair.

Are Tele bindings restricted to "flat" on the ski or do they have elevation settings? The above picture looks to be just flat.

〽❄❅

Here. $160.00 Also these are spring loaded so a little more complicated to repair mid tour.

BL.jpg
...from what i gather, not as complicated as a repair of potential damage to the user, which those things do little to nothing to prevent. I'd say it's one thing in floopy BC-NNN or three pin soft boots, quite another with full on high cuff hard plastic shell tele boots!

bigbog

Are Tele bindings restricted to "flat" on the ski or do they have elevation settings? The above picture looks to be just flat.

Another fwiw...SBSP, I'll be using some cant/shim strips here & there, under AT bindings..for alignment. Asked a few on TGR..and they do it...rather than screw up their soles that are to be hiked on...

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
So many ways to ski !.....Wish I would have learned about BC when I had less weight to lug up the mountain. Was curious about tele as a BC option but don't think I'll be trying it. . I'll se how the Dynafits work out, the suspense is killing me .Can't wait for snow, October snow is a bit of a bad omen in Pa.

bigbog

Hey I'll be interested in hearing how the Beasts work out SBSP... Shot downstate to try on Scarpa Freedoms(both SL and RS) today(Fri). Both very narrow...thought I read of their lasts being ~100:???: = NO Way!, at least not in the 25. 25.5(= 26?)..it seemed a little larger in the forefoot..:dontknow: ...but still very snug, so much so that I couldn't get my foot(high instep) in with the liner in...LOL..so that was certainly a showstopper! So I guess I'll be thinking another AT boot along the way this winter...OR maybe some sort of touring setup(possibly), however my Hawx 110s showed up today. At least a great fit(+ super warmth) for inbounds + maybe a possible DIN-style AT binding(Guardian/Adrenaline)..?

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Hey I'll be interested in hearing how the Beasts work out SBSP... Shot downstate to try on Scarpa Freedoms(both SL and RS) today(Fri). Both very narrow...thought I read of their lasts being ~100:???: = NO Way!, at least not in the 25. 25.5(= 26?)..it seemed a little larger in the forefoot..:dontknow: ...but still very snug, so much so that I couldn't get my foot(high instep) in with the liner in...LOL..so that was certainly a showstopper! So I guess I'll be thinking another AT binding along the way this winter...OR maybe some sort of touring setup(possibly), however my Hawx 110s showed up today. At least a great fit(+ super warmth) for inbounds + maybe a possible DIN-style AT binding(Guardian/Adrenaline)..?
Didn't buy beasts....got tilt radical ST's , Scarpa's were spirit 3 an older model , although I heard they could be soft forward flex . When I got them I found that to be true . Before I bought them I saw some posts that said scarpa had a black tongue that would stiffen them up . I contacted them (excellent service)and they sent picture of 3 tongues and I was able to get a good match .
Mounted them on the Steadfast's
Just got lucky with boot fit . The liners are wrap arounds vs my older tongues. I'll see how that works out. My downhill wrap around experience was the twist my socks and rip out leg hair .