• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AT Binding Discussion

Hawkshot99

Hey I'll be interested in hearing how the Beasts work out SBSP... Shot downstate to try on Scarpa Freedoms(both SL and RS) today(Fri). Both very narrow...thought I read of their lasts being ~100:???: = NO Way!, at least not in the 25. 25.5(= 26?)..it seemed a little larger in the forefoot..:dontknow: ...but still very snug, so much so that I couldn't get my foot(high instep) in with the liner in...LOL..so that was certainly a showstopper! So I guess I'll be thinking another AT boot along the way this winter...OR maybe some sort of touring setup(possibly), however my Hawx 110s showed up today. At least a great fit(+ super warmth) for inbounds + maybe a possible DIN-style AT binding(Guardian/Adrenaline)..?
I have the Dalbello Virus AT boot. They have since been replaced by the Sherpa series, but look VERY similar. They are advertised as 100mm, and I would say that is accurate based on how tight vs. my everyday boots(Panterra 120). I really like them for BC skin trips.

bigbog

Didn't buy beasts....got tilt radical ST's , Scarpa's were spirit 3 an older model , although I heard they could be soft forward flex . When I got them I found that to be true . Before I bought them I saw some posts that said scarpa had a black tongue that would stiffen them up . I contacted them (excellent service)and they sent picture of 3 tongues and I was able to get a good match .
Mounted them on the Steadfast's
Just got lucky with boot fit . The liners are wrap arounds vs my older tongues. I'll see how that works out. My downhill wrap around experience was the twist my socks and rip out leg hair .
Cool...as is Hawkshot's Virus and Sherpa.
Well I kind of lost it....and bought three boots...will return two. Just can't find these, in the flesh, to try on...gave up looking for Solly's Mtn Lab. Salomon Quest Max BC 120, Atomic Tracker and Hawx 110(downhill...fits so well)...but think the Quest Max will win out by a landslide. Versatile and I've worked with Pebax = not the bootfitter's favorite but it's stiff and very light.
Anxious to put an AT binding(probably Beast 16 or one of G3s or other Dynafit) on a wider ski(thinking K2 Pinnacle 95 or 105...and then a hardpack ski = thinking what binding?).

Hawkshot99

Cool...as is Hawkshot's Virus and Sherpa.
Well I kind of lost it....and bought three boots...will return two. Just can't find these, in the flesh, to try on...gave up looking for Solly's Mtn Lab. Salomon Quest Max BC 120, Atomic Tracker and Hawx 110(downhill...fits so well)...but think the Quest Max will win out by a landslide. Versatile and I've worked with Pebax = not the bootfitter's favorite but it's stiff and very light.
Anxious to put an AT binding(probably Beast 16 or one of G3s or other Dynafit) on a wider ski(thinking K2 Pinnacle 95 or 105...and then a hardpack ski = thinking what binding?).

Hiking in DH boots SUCKS!! Idid this for many years before getting my AT boots. Yes it is doable, but they weigh so much more, have very little or no articulation front to back while striding. I didn't realize how they really were till I got the Virus.
I have skinned in my Panterra's twice I belive. Both times were at the resort and I just skinned out the ridge that the mtn was on. Way better than a locked in DH boot, but nowhere near the AT boot.

I have owned and really liked the Atomic Hawx. Do not choose them if you plan on doing skin trips. I would choose the quest out of what you are looking at, but I believe they are a tad wider than Hawx (maybe 102?).

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Hiking in DH boots SUCKS!! Idid this for many years before getting my AT boots. Yes it is doable, but they weigh so much more, have very little or no articulation front to back while striding. I didn't realize how they really were till I got the Virus.
I have skinned in my Panterra's twice I belive. Both times were at the resort and I just skinned out the ridge that the mtn was on. Way better than a locked in DH boot, but nowhere near the AT boot.

I have owned and really liked the Atomic Hawx. Do not choose them if you plan on doing skin trips. I would choose the quest out of what you are looking at, but I believe they are a tad wider than Hawx (maybe 102?).

How is walk mode with touring vs Dh ? . I don't have any other experience besides Dh. wondering if you have chafing issues . I had very little of that with the Dh