Saddleback - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 92 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddleback

I know Les Otten's name is poison to some, but he does seem to have the magic touch with investors and bankers. Saddleback seems to have much more potential to me than The Balsams, but if the Berrys are not interested in selling the development property, then there's nowhere to go with it. I never could understand that sale strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    It's a very small village on a lake known for its history of trout DNA. Two of the best known river systems in the state , for trout fishing, flow into the lake, but that's it...and snomobiling. Skiing runs behind fishing in Maine. A completely different scene from Vermont and NH. Rangeley is out in the lesser developed/populated woodlands of Maine..ie rural...in comparison to Vermont or New Hampshire...where more developed highways helps customer travel and elevation with big mountains that would seem to make running a ski resort pretty easy. Idiots who can't manage a three car funeral are out there....everywhere...today, but I wonder if Les Otten couldn't make something of the place....y/n?

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Not to mention that getting to Smuggs is much easier and closer to Boston and NYC by 1 or 2 hours respectively
    Curious, it too me 5 to smuggs and 5 to SB and that was with the same # of stops from the Providence area
    15-16 Killington 11-17-16

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    Curious, it too me 5 to smuggs and 5 to SB and that was with the same # of stops from the Providence area
    Yeah, maybe 30 minute difference max (excluding traffic).
    Think Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    Yeah, maybe 30 minute difference max (excluding traffic).
    I forgot that 108 is closed in the winter adding and extra 20 minutes or so to Smuggs trip. In any case, I think Smuggs still offers better terrain and is significantly larger for the lift ticket costs.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

People here have hit the nail on the head. Smuggs seen by many of its customers as a destination resort. Saddleback is not.

Smuggs is also a lot closer to Montreal metro area. So I'm guessing there are significantly more skier visits from Canada at Smuggs than Saddleback.

I forgot that 108 is closed in the winter adding and extra 20 minutes or so to Smuggs trip. In any case, I think Smuggs still offers better terrain and is significantly larger for the lift ticket costs.
    I agree that the terrain is better at Smuggs, but weekend/holiday lift lines combined with the slow lift system makes runs off of the Madonna 1 chair take forever. I can't believe so many people drive so far to wait in those lines. Saddleback has a slow lift system, but you spend considerably more time in the snow there than at Smuggs.

Also, to DHS's point, I think that the sterling lift at Smuggs and the Rangeley chair at Saddleback are probably in the most desperate need of high speed replacements as anywhere in the east. Don't know if one at Saddleback will ever make economic sense though.
    Ski season is always too short

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    I agree that the terrain is better at Smuggs, but weekend/holiday lift lines combined with the slow lift system makes runs off of the Madonna 1 chair take forever. I can't believe so many people drive so far to wait in those lines. Saddleback has a slow lift system, but you spend considerably more time in the snow there than at Smuggs.

Also, to DHS's point, I think that the sterling lift at Smuggs and the Rangeley chair at Saddleback are probably in the most desperate need of high speed replacements as anywhere in the east. Don't know if one at Saddleback will ever make economic sense though.
    Trust me, I am not a fan of Smuggs setup. I do like the terrain. However, we ski there probably once every two years because each time I go I get reminded of the lift lines and the craziness at the restaurants/bars for food and beverages. I agree with you regarding time on the snow, though. Once you are on the Kennebago Quad - no real need to be on the Double. I will often ski off the T-bar if I want to hit some runs in the blue pod and you can still cut back over to Kennebago.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

I forgot that 108 is closed in the winter adding and extra 20 minutes or so to Smuggs trip.
    I'd love to see you make Smuggs in 20 minutes from the town of Stowe (108/100 intersection). That's Tuna speed.

To go through the Notch to Smuggs from downtown Stowe takes about 20-25 minutes. To go around via Stagecoach Road and route 15, it's about 40-45 minutes. So, it really is only about 20 minutes further driving around.

That said, in winter when you're coming from Boston you go a different route to Smuggs than you do to Stowe. Fastest route is to continue up 93 to Saint Johnsbury and grab 2 > 15 across.

Google maps automatically routes via 108 and the Notch because that's the least mileage. That's where I assume Dlague got his time estimate from.

Thread Information