Saddleback - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddleback

Quote Originally Posted by catsup948 View Post
    What would they do if they don't get a lift in time? Make people ride the little double to the tbar? That would not be ideal for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIKSKIER View Post
    This smells of a leverage move.Why would one say their lift is at the end of its usefull life and then put it up for sale.Do I want to buy that?So we will have to close?If its good enough for resale your telling me it wont be good enough to run this winter so we'll have to close?I'm not buying this.Has the lift been condemned?Then maybe but this is whacked.
    This is kind of what I assumed too but one of the park guys there who is on Newschoolers brought up that without the Rangely lift there is a good chance they wouldn't see enough of a return to cover operating costs.

I think they should have replaced the double instead of Kennebago but as someone else mentioned hindsight is 20/20

Quote Originally Posted by SIKSKIER View Post
    This smells of a leverage move.Why would one say their lift is at the end of its usefull life and then put it up for sale.Do I want to buy that?So we will have to close?If its good enough for resale your telling me it wont be good enough to run this winter so we'll have to close?I'm not buying this.Has the lift been condemned?Then maybe but this is whacked.
    As has already been mentioned it's at the end of its useful life for the mountain. The capacity of that lift just can't support the amount of skiers who need to ride it in order for the mountain to make it financially anymore with the debt probably accumulated from the other improvements.

Definitely agree it was weird to have done the base lodge and other quads first. The Kennabago quad was to eliminate a T-bar and give access of some of the best terrain to boarders, but still, tons of terrain of the Double was pretty untouched always because of the lift's line and ride time.

From how I've read it, the Berry Family isn't looking to raise $3,000,000 from locals and skiers, they're looking probably too provide some leverage against whoever they've applied for a loan from.

The mountain was going nowhere with that lift, regardless of how good a condition it was in. They probably have some debt payments coming up in a few years and can't pay it off with the current revenue they're pulling in because of that lift.

I think it's good that they're going to refund pass holders and venders for the money they've already spent on the upcoming season

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    This announcement could also be somewhat of a ploy to get the govt' to put some pressure to get a loan secured before the end of the summer to ensure that Saddleback opens for the season to provide the seasonal jobs for the area.

Idiots.
    "For example, I ski without a helmet and with bindings that basically don't release." - Highway Star

Here is the press release from Saddleback....it does seem like a leverage play against the banks but also a call to the public to have them help suggest means of financing.
    It would be a real shame if the mountain closed for even 1 season. When snow is good (and due to location it usually is) it's a very special place for all ability levels.

http://www.saddlebackmaine.com/docs/...se-7-20-15.pdf
    2016-17
    Bretton Woods 11/23, 4/17
    Cannon 12/3, 4/8
    Ragged Mtn 12/9, 12/16, 12/17, 12/23, 12/24, 12/30, 12/31, 1/2, 1/7, 1/15, 1/21, 1/29, 2/11, 2/18, 3/4, 3/5, 3/19, 3/26, 4/1
    Crotched Mtn 12/21, 1/4, 1/11, 1/18, 1/25, 2/1, 2/8, 2/12, 2/15, 2/22, 3/9, 3/25, 4/2
    Gunstock 12/28
    Wildcat 1/22, 2/10, 4/15, 4/16
    Magic Mtn 1/26, 1/27
    Whaleback 2/19
    Okemo 11/26, 2/25
    Pats Peak 3/1
    Smugglers Notch 3/10
    Stowe 3/11
    Jay Peak 3/12
    Sugarbush (Mt Ellen) 3/13

2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

The only way this makes any sense to me is they must have been running in the red during the last couple of seasons. Just figures out it was for sale. Not a good time for them to be closing for the winter when its on the market.

Items for Sale
    Looks like I'm late to the party on this one....just saw this on SKI Magazine:

http://www.skinet.com/ski/article/sa...dom=fb&pub=ski

Looks like they are looking for an excuse to dump the place. Seems odd to say "the lift works, but we need a new one, so if we don't get the money now, we won't open." Huh?!
    Live, Ski, or Die!

So this place can't make it and can't find funding. But plans for a massive resort at the Balsams can find tons of $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by DoublePlanker View Post
    So this place can't make it and can't find funding. But plans for a massive resort at the Balsams can find tons of $$$.
    That's my take on it too. Saddleback is a far superior mountain than the Balsams, same snow and a more compelling 4 season destination with the lake at the base.

Balsams is arguably a better location with its proximity to Canadian cities and more interstate/easier travel from US cities, but still a long ways away.

I'm wondering if Saddleback is looking for State Government backed funds to support the loan for the new chair and preserve jobs. Don't see LePage going for it.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    That's my take on it too. Saddleback is a far superior mountain than the Balsams, same snow and a more compelling 4 season destination with the lake at the base.

Balsams is arguably a better location with its proximity to Canadian cities and more interstate/easier travel from US cities, but still a long ways away.

I'm wondering if Saddleback is looking for State Government backed funds to support the loan for the new chair and preserve jobs. Don't see LePage going for it.
    It's obvious that there is some kind of posturing going on here. I imagine that the bank(s)/investors who financed much of the earlier work have balked at giving them $3 million more. So the resort is now saying, "give us the money or lose everything", in order to force the situation. It's not really fair to the loyal skiers and riders.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information