• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

Put out a post on FB which includes management team which is encouraging, but no other specifics. Most of the respondents took it as saying they will open this Winter. I feel more optimistic seeing they have a team. Still not sure if they make this Winter season.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Put out a post on FB which includes management team which is encouraging, but no other specifics. Most of the respondents took it as saying they will open this Winter. I feel more optimistic seeing they have a team. Still not sure if they make this Winter season.

Without replacing the double--sure they can open. If replacing that lift--?????

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bigbob

I agree it is getting late for a quad install, but as Dopp finishes up other projects the can direct those resources to building this chair. What troubles me to open this season is the rest of the mnt infrastructure. They have no staff currently to get the place up and running. You need lift mechanics, electricians, laborers, equipment operators, etc. Where will those people come from in a sparkly populated region?

machski

I agree it is getting late for a quad install, but as Dopp finishes up other projects the can direct those resources to building this chair. What troubles me to open this season is the rest of the mnt infrastructure. They have no staff currently to get the place up and running. You need lift mechanics, electricians, laborers, equipment operators, etc. Where will those people come from in a sparkly populated region?
I don't buy it. Sunday River said they could have installed a new Spruce last year but the removal and install would have started in a similar time frame. They elected not to as the install would have stretched towards February, which would have limited traffic down Lazy River and 3 Mile during construction (would have cut mountain in 2 basically). Not sure how an install on Rangley line would affect skier traffic at SB, but starting now would go well into ski season.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

Unless the engineering, Tramway board concrete approval, and lift fabricatiin have all occured there will not be a replacement in time for this season.

benski

Unless the engineering, Tramway board concrete approval, and lift fabricatiin have all occured there will not be a replacement in time for this season.

Does Maine have even have a tramway board? If they do that is scary, considering all the problems at Sugarloaf.

bigbob

Sunday River was delayed by the slow receipt of a check from the insurance company and the sale of the REIT, wasn't it?

machski

Sunday River was delayed by the slow receipt of a check from the insurance company and the sale of the REIT, wasn't it?
Partly, but they also considered that given when the thing fell over and when install could have begun, it would have interrupted half the season. Obviously there were multiple hang ups but the install timeline would have been until Feb 1st or so. As it is now, Spruce probably will be up in time for December, but if we get early cold, they will likely have to open around it this year.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

The Valley House replacement a year or two ago would be a more likely comparison, wouldn't it?

If you're using that for a comparison...they started pouring concrete in July and the lift was ready by around Thanksgiving (although weather wasn't ready by that time to allow them to use it yet from what I recall).

Without replacing the double--sure they can open. If replacing that lift--?????

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Since the Spruce lift toppled over the State of Maine required all areas to submit their engineering plans for lift footings to the state. If they did not have engineering plans, then they had to dig them up to prove they were properly anchored. Doubt such plans exist for the double and 2 years of idle must be harder on such an old lift. I would be very surprised if the double runs.

Newpylong

Same for NH and VT and not just engineering plans but final as-builts as oftentimes conditions in the ground altered the footing designs in the field. More specifically they need to know what type of grout was used to pin to ledge. There is a "good" and "bad" list. If you're using the bad or can't confirm (quite often with a 40-50 year old lift) you need to do a pull test or repin the footing or worst cause repour. The worst thing about it is the Boards lack any type of standard for pinning and instead put the responsibility on an engineer to sign off on the lift.

MEtoVTSkier

So...if they started pouring and had MOST of it poured by Labor Day, then theoretically, it could be ready by Christmas/New Years, depending on how hard Dopp wanted to work. Seems like if the footings were in, you could fly towers over the course of a few days. Base terminal is easy access to work, so get the return done first I'd think. Whatever... if it was me and I could only do one or the other for this winter, I'd shoot to get the T-bar done first. You'd think it would be a quicker install, but I may be wrong on that, and you'd still get summit access to the Rangley with the traverse. Downside would be having to make and maintain snow early on the uphill track.

oldtimer

I LOVE Saddleback and I am glad they finally have a new owner. I do not see a path to lifts swinging this season. It was crickets up there last week.

So...if they started pouring and had MOST of it poured by Labor Day, then theoretically, it could be ready by Christmas/New Years, depending on how hard Dopp wanted to work. Seems like if the footings were in, you could fly towers over the course of a few days. Base terminal is easy access to work, so get the return done first I'd think. Whatever... if it was me and I could only do one or the other for this winter, I'd shoot to get the T-bar done first. You'd think it would be a quicker install, but I may be wrong on that, and you'd still get summit access to the Rangley with the traverse. Downside would be having to make and maintain snow early on the uphill track.

danimals

https://www.facebook.com/SaddlebackMaine/posts/10155089700888510:0

Afternoon Saddlebackers! We wanted to check in and let you know the dominoes have fallen into place and we are able to amp up efforts to reopen the mountain. We are pleased to announce physical work is starting at Saddleback.

The first step will be taking down the existing Rangeley lift. This process will be carried out by Jim Quimby, Jared Emerson and the Mountain Operations team, weather permitting. Following this, the next step will be construction and repair of the T-Bar and also the Rangeley chair lift.

We know your single biggest question here is going to be, when are you going to open? The only thing that is going to hold up or delay this process is Mother Nature. As work progresses and we are able to establish a firm timeline, you will be the first to know. We thank you for your continued support and patience through this process.

Best regards,
The Saddleback Team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crystalmountainskier

Is anyone else confused by that update? It says "taking down the existing Rangeley lift," but then also "construction and repair of the T-Bar and also the Rangeley chair lift."

MEtoVTSkier

By the pictures that were circulating earlier this summer. The T-bar needed a massive amount of work to the foundations of the base terminal...

Jully

By the pictures that were circulating earlier this summer. The T-bar needed a massive amount of work to the foundations of the base terminal...

Very odd. I had thought they had an order with Dopp for a new t-bar with drastically increased capacity. Also not a ton of information in that post. Will they be delayed by mother nature because of getting too cold too early and not being able to install the lifts? I'd assume so, but why not say that. Additionally, will they be installing the new rangeley quad this fall?