• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

Jully

Really? I've always felt that the attraction was harvesting powder turns and Mount Washington is often WAY too dangerous and complicated for the average east coast, urban weekend warrior type skier, especially in mid winter conditions.

The uphill market segment is growing. It's huge here in Flagstaff. You guys might be a little out of touch with overall ski business trends.

But yeah, it's totally dumb. Tell that to the people already enjoying such areas. Mountain town people love hearing the overly confident opinions of weekend warrior city folks. :D

The issue/contradiction with your statement is that yes, Washington is too much for the average weekend warrior (on any coast IME), but you're nuts if you think those are the folks who would be getting into touring. Especially at a place like Saddleback so far removed from everything.

Touring is definitely growing, and fast, but not among the weekenders, at least back east. Among advanced skiers and up, absolutely, but they can handle Washington for the most part.

That is just not true about being able to handle Mount Washington. There a lots of times when Mount Washington is not the place to go, please reference my post on the previous page.

gregnye

That is just not true about being able to handle Mount Washington. There a lots of times when Mount Washington is not the place to go, please reference my post on the previous page.

I'm from Mass, so I'm definetly a "weekend warrier". But whenever I go to Mt Washington in the winter, a ton of license plates are from Maine as well as far away places like Conneticut. The fact that Maine people are leaving their state to go alpine touring helps solidify the argument that Mt. Washington is far superior than anything in Maine.

(Mt. Katahdin seems like it would be good though--any people from Maine want to explain why y'all don't go there?)

Edit: I think the Connecticut people could be considered weekend warriors. Since I doubt there's places to tour in Connecticut that are good.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm from Mass, so I'm definetly a "weekend warrier". But whenever I go to Mt Washington in the winter, a ton of license plates are from Maine as well as far away places like Conneticut. The fact that Maine people are leaving their state to go alpine touring helps solidify the argument that Mt. Washington is far superior than anything in Maine.

(Mt. Katahdin seems like it would be good though--any people from Maine want to explain why y'all don't go there?)

Edit: I think the Connecticut people could be considered weekend warriors. Since I doubt there's places to tour in Connecticut that are good.

You’ve clearly never been to Baxter State Park.....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Pez

This powder mountain thing... that's why I don't get all up in arms about Vail or whoever buying another area. At least they know skiing, not like these jackhole tech bros.

What a joke.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This powder mountain thing... that's why I don't get all up in arms about Vail or whoever buying another area. At least they know skiing, not like these jackhole tech bros.

What a joke.

Yep.

raisingarizona

The issue/contradiction with your statement is that yes, Washington is too much for the average weekend warrior (on any coast IME), but you're nuts if you think those are the folks who would be getting into touring. Especially at a place like Saddleback so far removed from everything.

Touring is definitely growing, and fast, but not among the weekenders, at least back east. Among advanced skiers and up, absolutely, but they can handle Washington for the most part.

It’s pretty obvious that you don’t have a ton of experience in high alpine terrain, that’s ok, don’t get defensive about that. Yeah, Mount Washington with perfect conditions is awesome for the east but during a lot of winters it can be rare to get those safe and perfect conditions so you’re better off going to a place that’s been groomed/trimmed a little during the summer and offers protection from the wind.

Last edited:

Jully

you’re better off going to a place that’s been groomed/trimmed a little during the summer and offers protection from the wind.

While that is true, Saddleback is not that place either. And I'm not defensive about anything btw. I've posted twice on this haha.

And I was not suggesting midwinter touring of Mt. Washington. I do realize that my previous post came off that way though.

Yup, Mount Washington is 45 minutes closer for me and I have been there much more than Saddleback. There are days when Saddleback is a better call even with the drive. Katahdin is a great place to ski, just takes a little more commitment. edit, just saw that winterwonderlands link on Katahdin-lot of bad information there.

Greg you seem to be exercising your snide. My point is that it is highly unlikely lifts ever spin again at Saddleback, if they do, then I will cheer and ski there once and a while. If my premise is correct, then would be nice if the ski part of the mountain is preserved in some way for folks to earn their turns.

raisingarizona

Isn’t katahdin like a 15 mile approach or something huge like that?

That’s a hell of a commitment and not exactly appropriate for a weekend getaway of leisurely safe ski touring.

raisingarizona

While that is true, Saddleback is not that place either. And I'm not defensive about anything btw. I've posted twice on this haha.

And I was not suggesting midwinter touring of Mt. Washington. I do realize that my previous post came off that way though.

I think I’m done posting in this forum. Some of you guys are just way too goofy. I feel like I just woke up next to a bad decision after a hard night of drinking when I get into these conversations here.

Jully

I think I’m done posting in this forum. Some of you guys are just way too goofy. I feel like I just woke up next to a bad decision after a hard night of drinking when I get into these conversations here.

Not sure what's goofy about my post you quoted, but you do you.

raisingarizona

Not sure what's goofy about my post you quoted, but you do you.

If you aren't suggesting Mount Washington for mid winter touring then what? You said it was far superior than other locations but then it's not? I can't follow ya and I'm confused like waking up next to that mistake and now I'm getting all savage like a coyote in a bear trap. And what's wrong with Saddleback for ski touring? Someone said it has good snow retention, sure it's a little farther but wouldn't that help with conditions for the willing that would make that drive? It has cleared runs and glades, isn't that good for powder skiing or are East coasters so used to 3 turns to closeouts filled with twigs to traverses for more 3 turn lines to closeouts that you aren't into that sort of thing? Duck duck goose, here comes another branch!

I guess I'm breaking into that bottle again, it's June, around 90 degrees every day and the forests are closed here so I might as well do some day drinking and make bad decisions surfing the internets for my boredom therapy. Now hold my beer, I'm about to hook into a Jerry Burger and it's gonna be WICKED!. :D

Last edited: