• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

crank

Well they picked a good season to be closed anyway.

tipsdown

They probably want to open something at least. That way they have staying power in peoples minds, and won't lose pass holders for next season. Could take a loss this season, but less of one next.

+1. Heard there is activity on the mountain and they are close to all systems go. Time will tell.....

oldtimer

Maybe 2nd half of February will bring the goods. The skiing there is SO GOOD when they have a lot of snow. Last March was incredible.

delco714

Well they picked a good season to be closed anyway.
Yeah I'm sure this near or over 40° weather with the the freeze cycle are going to do wonders for Iceloaf

I made what I thought to be a funny comment on their Facebook. They got all excited that timberline was open. Even after the best of weather it usually sucks..always with wind hold and glare ice abound

Mapnut

Ho hum, it's snowing there again. Why couldn't Magic be the one closed due to a change in ownership, and Saddleback managing to get their chairlift running but with minimal snowmaking?

machski

Ho hum, it's snowing there again. Why couldn't Magic be the one closed due to a change in ownership, and Saddleback managing to get their chairlift running but with minimal snowmaking?

Don't worry, this little burst won't amount to much. Would like to hear good news, hope it works out next season for them. For those customers who got strung out this year, I do feel bad for you. With so many variables with sales of these types, they should have been upfront, bit the bullet for the year and just issued refunds on season pass sales. This IMHO.

skiMEbike

For those still following....

FACEBOOK POST TODAY:
As of today we know the following:

We will not be open for February vacation week and any update on a possible opening date will be posted as we receive the information.

Saddleback is more than a mountain - it is a community of people. We are asking for your support as we seek to ensure the long term viability of this community. The Berry Family has made the decision not to pressure the buyer but to be supportive of the situation. We are very grateful to the condominium owners, season pass holders and local businesses for being so supportive of our position.

thetrailboss

Staff member
For those still following....

FACEBOOK POST TODAY:
As of today we know the following:

We will not be open for February vacation week and any update on a possible opening date will be posted as we receive the information.

Saddleback is more than a mountain - it is a community of people. We are asking for your support as we seek to ensure the long term viability of this community. The Berry Family has made the decision not to pressure the buyer but to be supportive of the situation. We are very grateful to the condominium owners, season pass holders and local businesses for being so supportive of our position.

If there really was a sale then the last two sentences are meaningless because the Berry Family would have no say after the sale. This whole thing is weird.

tipsdown

If there really was a sale then the last two sentences are meaningless because the Berry Family would have no say after the sale. This whole thing is weird.

This only makes sense because the sale has not occurred (yet). Berry's are still holding the title.

Brad J

Well why would anyone open after Feb vacation , the new owners really are going to face an uphill battle to ever be viable. I really feel for the community that depend on the area for jobs. If there really is a new owner they will have to outperform beyond all expectations next year. I am not sure who is in charge, but the way this was handled it would have been far cheaper to put the chair in with family $$$ if there was any left after the lodge overbuild. The value is dropping by the day!!!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well why would anyone open after Feb vacation , the new owners really are going to face an uphill battle to ever be viable. I really feel for the community that depend on the area for jobs. If there really is a new owner they will have to outperform beyond all expectations next year. I am not sure who is in charge, but the way this was handled it would have been far cheaper to put the chair in with family $$$ if there was any left after the lodge overbuild. The value is dropping by the day!!!

This.

They've lost pretty much any valuable "good will value" for the business.

My comment was that it just seems very strange that they would not have had some contingency plan in place to open this season because resorts that don't open for even a season can really struggle afterwards to regain credibility and market.

reefer

Which opens next year, Magic or Saddleback? Sounds like there is no sale.

Bumped into a friend at work today who has been around the ski business from way back. We're talking about the tough times of some hills and he tells me straight out - Saddleback sale fell through. I had never talked about Saddleback with him before so I was taken back. Came here to investigate and saw these last few posts. I'll definitely ask him where he heard this tomorrow. Wasn't AZ.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bumped into a friend at work today who has been around the ski business from way back. We're talking about the tough times of some hills and he tells me straight out - Saddleback sale fell through. I had never talked about Saddleback with him before so I was taken back. Came here to investigate and saw these last few posts. I'll definitely ask him where he heard this tomorrow. Wasn't AZ.

That would make sense. Deal falls through, the owners don't have the interest or money to open for part of a bad season, and they decide to hang it up for this season and put it back on the market.