• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

machski

Very odd. I had thought they had an order with Dopp for a new t-bar with drastically increased capacity. Also not a ton of information in that post. Will they be delayed by mother nature because of getting too cold too early and not being able to install the lifts? I'd assume so, but why not say that. Additionally, will they be installing the new rangeley quad this fall?
More like if they move forward on the quad install now, it will be this winter. They need to move because I doubt they can pour footings after the ground freezes up. Without a firm stated open target, I doubt they reopen this winter. Too much to do and if they intend to open with just a refurbished T-bar their terrain will be constricted with the work happening on the new quad. We've waited this long, guess we can wait one more winter.

Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

More like if they move forward on the quad install now, it will be this winter. They need to move because I doubt they can pour footings after the ground freezes up. Without a firm stated open target, I doubt they reopen this winter. Too much to do and if they intend to open with just a refurbished T-bar their terrain will be constricted with the work happening on the new quad. We've waited this long, guess we can wait one more winter.

Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app

That is my thought too. T-bar only doesn't make much sense. Sad to wait another winter, but its definitely not the end of the world.

bdfreetuna

I'm not drawing any conclusions yet, especially when Saddleback poster seemed encouraged and said we'd be the first to know.

machski

xwhaler

Based on this, I would bet the skiing will be limited to Golden Smelt and Lookers right of that off just the T-Bar for most if not all of the season with ongoing work on the new Rangley. The lower mountain beginner terrain will be in too.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

If the T bar opens they can access the Kennebago as well...if they choose to staff the upper mtn and do some snowmaking up there

bdfreetuna

I skied there on a day when the Rangeley Double was closed but the Kennebago Quad was open via the T-bar.

It wasn't the worst situation as a one-off, but T-bar lines were long. The T-bar is a good backup but I don't see how they try to have a grand opening under those circumstances.

Would be a shame to get "almost there" with the new quad and stopped by weather. I think I'll root for a cold snowy winter regardless.

Jully

I skied there on a day when the Rangeley Double was closed but the Kennebago Quad was open via the T-bar.

It wasn't the worst situation as a one-off, but T-bar lines were long. The T-bar is a good backup but I don't see how they try to have a grand opening under those circumstances.

Would be a shame to get "almost there" with the new quad and stopped by weather. I think I'll root for a cold snowy winter regardless.

Any construction would halt access to anything looker's left of the Rangeley including Kennebago. I hope if they only get partway there with the quad install they can somehow shut down construction and let people ski past it.

To your earlier point, I don't think it would be a 'grand opening' but more of a soft opening. I think there is a lot of value in even opening a little bit. It gets buzz going, locals involved, and shows that you mean business. It should make the following season with full operations go better as well. These people haven't ever run a ski resort before, so there will certainly be kinks and quirks that they need to learn and work out!

Smellytele

Any construction would halt access to anything looker's left of the Rangeley including Kennebago. I hope if they only get partway there with the quad install they can somehow shut down construction and let people ski past it.

This is not really true. The only time you wouldn't be able to get between the 2 is when they were removing and installing the cable and when they were actually helicoptering in the towers. They can build tower bases at anytime as well as install the upper and lower terminal.

chuckstah

To your earlier point, I don't think it would be a 'grand opening' but more of a soft opening. I think there is a lot of value in even opening a little bit. It gets buzz going, locals involved, and shows that you mean business. It should make the following season with full operations go better as well. These people haven't ever run a ski resort before, so there will certainly be kinks and quirks that they need to learn and work out!
I read somewhere that the initial soft opening may be weekend/holidays only. If this is the case I assume construction could be stopped or limited while open, allowing upper mountain access.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

I think they will be happy to get the Rangely Chair down this Fall. Highly unlikely new construction starts before next summer.

Looks like Saddleback is going to give it a go with the t-bar. Good for them for being aggressive. I am sure I will be up to Saddleback on many days this winter whatever its fate holds.

I would give good odds on that bet. Too much to do, too short or a time, too expensive in Winter. Will be done next summer.

Let's see them get the Rangeley Chair down and the t-bar in tip top shape. Lot of work right there.

SIKSKIER

Seems pretty clear reading the numerous FB posts by Saddleback that they have all intentions of opening in some capacity this season with weather being a factor.They also posted that the Rangley recplacement is also scheduled to get operational this season if possible.Thats seems like a tough goal unless we have an awfull start to the season.
per FB post:
"The Rangeley Double Chair will be replaced with a new TRISTAR Fixed Grip Quad Chair Lift that can support 1,500 skiers per hour - we hope to have this operational this season. The T-Bar will be repaired and that will allow for access to the other lifts in the interim".

MEtoVTSkier

Maybe they plan on throwing a massive amount of resources at the project with the hope of getting the Rangley installed by January. Time will tell.

Maybe they plan on throwing a massive amount of resources at the project with the hope of getting the Rangley installed by January. Time will tell.

I think it is really something to get the t-bar going and operational.

Last year SR with all of its experience and with the income from a full scale operation put off Spruce Peak. No chair at SB this year.

Let's see a picture on FB of them actually doing work on dismantling the Rangeley or improving the t-bar. Let's see a picture of a bush hogged trail. Let's hear that the deal is closed. Let's hear a ticket structure and targeted opening date. Keep expectations low for this winter and you will not be disappointed.

MEtoVTSkier

Last year SR with all of its experience and with the income from a full scale operation put off Spruce Peak. No chair at SB this year.

Let's see a picture on FB of them actually doing work on dismantling the Rangeley or improving the t-bar. Let's see a picture of a bush hogged trail. Let's hear that the deal is closed. Let's hear a ticket structure and targeted opening date. Keep expectations low for this winter and you will not be disappointed.

Yep, you're right, lots of valid points. "Believe nothing you hear and all you see.."

ironhippy

I know Mount St Anne installed a chairlift in October/November of 2013 and had it operational by December.. however they had lots of updates leading up to it.

Here's a video from Nov. 1 where they are installing the towers, however the top and bottom terminals seem to already be finished at that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS8PJR4Du0A

Newpylong

The biggest issue are the forms. As long as the excavation and forms are set prior to cold weather the installation can happen in winter albeit with increased winter construction costs. Concrete that is poured in freezing weather has its strength reduced by a large percentage. Then you need to use a higher PSI ready-mix, thermal blankets, and admixtures to try to make up the loss, etc.

SkiFanE

I wouldn't use SR Spruce as a benchmark. The lift fell suddenly in July. A little shocking. I think by time you figure out insurance and what to do for future, the window of opportunity was lost. And I think SR took a step back to figure out what to do, long term. Is simple replacement the best way to go? Plus, ya know...needed to do a little geological/engineering analysis to be sure it doesn't happen again, that took time.