• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

cdskier

I've heard that Leitner-Poma is doing Burke.

Dopp is pretty busy in the northeast as is this summer it seems. They have the work at Saddleback that was mentioned in this thread, the two 2 new quads at Sugarbush, the gondola at Belleayre... What else am I missing?

dlague

Would this T-bar be to get to expert slopes? They were a mainstay in my youth - but many skiers can't handle a carpet loader onto a chair - going to hilarious to see newbies on T bars. I think it's a great thing - but seems a little too hardcore for your average skier. Although I love how it could sort out the levels of skiers.

Plenty of terrain and glades to challenge advanced skiers by lapping the T bar

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

There is a traverse that can get you to Kennebago Lift.

Seems they have only said it once and it does not seem they have closed the purchase yet.

In my mind Saddleback opening this winter has moved to the unlikely category.

mbedle

I've got to agree that it will open. They would not fork over the money for a lift install this year if they only intended to open next year.

cdskier

Seems they have only said it once and it does not seem they have closed the purchase yet.

In my mind Saddleback opening this winter has moved to the unlikely category.

Closings always take time. That doesn't mean nothing is happening. Didn't the original announcement say the closing would happen later this summer? We're still well within that expected time-frame and I wouldn't at all be surprised if you don't "hear" much in the way of updates until that officially happens.

slatham

Although each situation is different, the lengthy delay on closing the deal at Magic last year - November 21 or so - and yet still opening gives confidence that there is enough time for SB to get open. I would think it very important to the new owners to open this season.

Jully

Closings always take time. That doesn't mean nothing is happening. Didn't the original announcement say the closing would happen later this summer? We're still well within that expected time-frame and I wouldn't at all be surprised if you don't "hear" much in the way of updates until that officially happens.

It would be nice if they had better communication.

That is definitely true, but I agree with cdskier. The owners have an operating agreement in place. That means they theoretically can be doing stuff right now. I have not heard anything either way about whether or not stuff is happening on the hill though.

Did they officially place the order with Dopp? Or did they have an agreement in place that an order would be made eventually and the survey work that was done did not cost them anything?

yes, you are correct but not sure beyond contacting contractors how much will actually get done prior to closing.

We know they need at least 1 new lift to run. Beyond stakes in the ground and a foraging mission by dopplemyer we do not know the status of new lift installation (rumor on FB is not this year). The groomer fleet needs to be leased (not a big deal). We do not know the status of the 2 working chairlifts and what needs to be done to get them certified. We do not know the status of the snowmaking system. We know no season pass sales are available. Apparently the GM is being retained, but we do not know where they stand putting people in place to run the mountain. The group at the news purchase agreement has 0 ski management experience as far as I can tell.

These unknowns coupled with their desire to get it right is why I think it is doubtful they open this year.