• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

I think it is an ok comp. Time frame is somewhat similar. From the internet, Majella has not closed on the deal yet and I can not imagine too much occurring until after that. They will need to submit their engineering plan for approval too (no idea if that has happened).

Boyne is a much more polished operation than Majella with their first ski resort. Much more capable of making sure the job was done right in a limited time frame.

Saddleback's current owners said work had to begin by August back when they looked to the State to influence a loan.

machski

I wouldn't use SR Spruce as a benchmark. The lift fell suddenly in July. A little shocking. I think by time you figure out insurance and what to do for future, the window of opportunity was lost. And I think SR took a step back to figure out what to do, long term. Is simple replacement the best way to go? Plus, ya know...needed to do a little geological/engineering analysis to be sure it doesn't happen again, that took time.
Good points. I know SR considered a fall into winter install for last year but it would have closed 3 Mile and Lazy River quite a bit during the construction. That would have been a huge headache during peak times. Yes, you can try to plan around those times but if construction hits a snag or 2, well ugly results.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Another point to the T-Bar refurb vs replace with new (and as I haven't made it up to SB yet, someone else will have to fill this in) is if any trails cross the line when not in use, installing a new one would necessitate closing those trails permanently. Refurbing the current lift keeps the grandfathered codes in place.

mbedle

Another point to the T-Bar refurb vs replace with new (and as I haven't made it up to SB yet, someone else will have to fill this in) is if any trails cross the line when not in use, installing a new one would necessitate closing those trails permanently. Refurbing the current lift keeps the grandfathered codes in place.

No crossover trails.

Whitey

Boy, this has a Quiros style operation written all over it.

Not sure I am ready to say that yet but I always thought the idea that they would be able to close this deal and get the mountain open this winter was more than a little bit optimistic/unrealistic.

Getting Saddleback open by next season is still a lot better (if it happens) than the other option we were looking at - Saddleback as a permanent addition to NELSAP.

machski

I just saw a recent post on FB by SB. Admitted they have been a bit silent but they have powered up the Snowmaking system and lift maintenance on the lifts staying has been happening. They are still hoping for a soft open this season. We will see.

MEtoVTSkier

I just saw a recent post on FB by SB. Admitted they have been a bit silent but they have powered up the Snowmaking system and lift maintenance on the lifts -has been happening. They are still hoping for a soft open this season. We will see.

Yep, and unless somebody got off their ass and actually did something, it's just more lip-service. There's a reply to a previous post, where someone swung by Saddleback, there was ONE vehicle by the lodge, and neither the double nor the T-bar had any visible work done at all. Post was around October 3rd I think. Believe nothing you hear and all you see...

And if there is any truth at all to the CEO attracting FBI attention?... Heck, they can't even keep up with property taxes on their Portland property, so how are they gonna hand the Berry's a nice big check? Their track record on previous developments isn't very encouraging.

tipsdown

Yep, and unless somebody got off their ass and actually did something, it's just more lip-service. There's a reply to a previous post, where someone swung by Saddleback, there was ONE vehicle by the lodge, and neither the double nor the T-bar had any visible work done at all. Post was around October 3rd I think. Believe nothing you hear and all you see...

And if there is any truth at all to the CEO attracting FBI attention?... Heck, they can't even keep up with property taxes on their Portland property, so how are they gonna hand the Berry's a nice big check? Their track record on previous developments isn't very encouraging.

They've clearly communicated to property owners that they're soft opening this season, as they continue to ramp of for next year....There is a lot of visible work being completed on the mountain. All the chairlifts (other than the defunct Rangeley Double) were just removed last week for grip inspection etc. Snow guns are lined up, trails mowed. They hired the best chef in the area to head up Food and Bev and he's already on site. They've been tightlipped as they've been lining their ducks up but I expect them to start communicating more...shortly.

There will be plenty of naysayers until the deal officially closes and chairlifts are going up. It is what it is...and probably warranted for that matter.

bdfreetuna

They've clearly communicated to property owners that they're soft opening this season, as they continue to ramp of for next year....There is a lot of visible work being completed on the mountain. All the chairlifts (other than the defunct Rangeley Double) were just removed last week for grip inspection etc. Snow guns are lined up, trails mowed. They hired the best chef in the area to head up Food and Bev and he's already on site. They've been tightlipped as they've been lining their ducks up but I expect them to start communicating more...shortly.

There will be plenty of naysayers until the deal officially closes and chairlifts are going up. It is what it is...and probably warranted for that matter.

Positive attitude + actual facts = winning post

fiddleski

All very good news. However, I if the NESI article is correct (it's on the internet - it must be!), then concern shifts from short to long term.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I also read that NESI article and some of the source material. Does not sound good at all. Sounds like they have a lot of issues and unpaid taxes and debts. So sorry Saddleback folks. Looks like you may be in for a turbulent ride. Hope that things change.

tipsdown

Yeah, we'll see...Most of the claims in the article have gone unsubstantiated however, i.e. they have completed other projects, there are no outstanding liens. There was a re-zoning of the said church and took a couple years to resolve, a lien resulted during that time apparently. I would take that article with a grain of salt though. NESI appears a bit ill-informed, especially when you consider the visible work and behind the scenes work that's ongoing. Every article they've written since the announcement is had a negative bend to it...

But I'm not going to pretend to know Majella well. At the end of the day they'll have to prove themselves, just like everyone else....

Last edited:

Jully

Yeah, we'll see...Most of the claims in the article have gone unsubstantiated however, i.e. they have completed other projects, there are no outstanding liens. There was a re-zoning of the said church and took a couple years to resolve, a lien resulted during that time apparently. I would take that article with a grain of salt though. NESI appears a bit ill-informed, especially when you consider the visible work and behind the scenes work that's ongoing. Every article they've written since the announcement is had a negative bend to it...

But I'm not going to pretend to know Majella well. At the end of the day they'll have to prove themselves, just like everyone else....

I gotta agree with you here. NESI has some great stuff, but there has been a solid negative bend to everything published about SB since the acquisition. I think everything that has or hasn't happened so far with regard to the mountain needs to be taken with a healthy dose of skepticism. Will the Rangeley be replaced this year? No. Will SB open in some small capacity? I'd give it 50/50 right now. To suggest that Majella and SB will end in SEC seizure I think is way off base.

NESI has shown a lot more bias to date than usual (anything written about Cannon notwithstanding). A certain hatred for everything EB5/international investors is clearly bleeding through here, I think.

cdskier

NESI has shown a lot more bias to date than usual (anything written about Cannon notwithstanding). A certain hatred for everything EB5/international investors is clearly bleeding through here, I think.

Is NESI run by one person? A group of people? There's virtually no information on the site at all about who NESI is that I can see. Articles don't have any named authors listed either. Even their domain name registration is hidden.