• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

bdfreetuna

Wow such a cavalier attitude on their behalf. Don't care if it ever opens and just want the land for EB-5.

Disappointing. I hope the Berry's are holding out for a buyer that actually plans on operating the mountain and investing in it.

bdfreetuna

Wow such a cavalier attitude on their behalf. Don't care if it ever opens and just want the land for EB-5.

Disappointing. I hope the Berry's are holding out for a buyer that actually plans on operating the mountain and investing in it.

bdfreetuna

Rangeley has a hard enough time without predatory foreigners dragging things out to no productive end.

I'd like these Magella folks to take a nice long snowmobile ride with Rangeley locals ... get a proper introduction to the area :thumbdown::smash::uzi::slap::flag:

x10003q

Rangeley has a hard enough time without predatory foreigners dragging things out to no productive end.

I'd like these Magella folks to take a nice long snowmobile ride with Rangeley locals ... get a proper introduction to the area :thumbdown::smash::uzi::slap::flag:

The Berrys deserve a lot of credit for the Saddleback Shyt Show.

Whitey

The Saddleback saga is turning from sad to tragic. After raising hopes with Majella deal, those are crashing down. I give credit to the people on this board who questioned the validity of the Majella thing from the start. I was cautiously optimistic.

With all due respect to the Saddleback co-op people, I think we are back to the most likely scenario being the Kennebago & So Branch quads get sold off and Saddleback goes NELSAP. Such a good mountain, what a shame.

I had some great trips to Saddleback, wish I felt confident that there may be more (non-skinning) trips there for me in the future. Those chances are about as good as me making the Patriot's 2019 roster. . .

KustyTheKlown

bummed that I never got to ski there. my apt in Brooklyn has random saddleback stickers on one of the bedroom doors. a prior occupant's.

Edd

Damn place has it all. High elevation, decent snowfall and great retention, tons of acreage, a good amount of terrain for all skill levels, classic New England trails, low crowds, awesome vibe, great base lodge. Fuckin’ A..

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

AdironRider

Damn place has it all. High elevation, decent snowfall and great retention, tons of acreage, a good amount of terrain for all skill levels, classic New England trails, low crowds, awesome vibe, great base lodge. Fuckin’ A..

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

You realize the low crowds part did them in right?

They have everything but a sustainable population base to keep the mountain alive. Sad.

KustyTheKlown

yep, at the end of the day, its just too far. sugarloaf is closer to every relevant population center.

actually I take that back, looking at google maps they are about equal drives from boston and portland

Killingtime

Just checking out Saddleback's trail map now. Looks like a fun place with a lot of steeps. I'm sure most of the people capable of purchasing and running the place have at least taken a glance since this has been well publicized. I get it that the Berry family probably have a ton of dough invested but this has been sitting stagnant for three years now. At some price, someone will pick this place up and move forward with it. Probably a lot less than the Berry's are asking.

Whitey

Just checking out Saddleback's trail map now. Looks like a fun place with a lot of steeps. I'm sure most of the people capable of purchasing and running the place have at least taken a glance since this has been well publicized. I get it that the Berry family probably have a ton of dough invested but this has been sitting stagnant for three years now. At some price, someone will pick this place up and move forward with it. Probably a lot less than the Berry's are asking.

ONLY if you have a business plan that you have a realistic chance at executing and then finding probability from that. If the Berry's sold it for a dollar but you can't make any profit or even break-even on it, it doesn't matter how low the purchase price. Any plan would have to replace the Rangeley double; it's 50+ yrs old, a horrible lift, and just so happens to be their primary lift. That would mean you are sinking significant more $ into the mountain right from the start. The prospects for increasing skier visits would require a massive ($$) marketing campaign and may not be possible even with that. Increase in visits requires beginner and intermediate visits to go up, experts already knew about and went to SB. And you've got SR, SL, Shawnee, Abraham all competing for skiers. SR and SL have good infastructure and accomodations - SB competing with that would require a lot more $$$$$ to build accomodations and infastructure.

This is why many, including me, are so pessimistic. It's hard to see even at "free" for the sale price how the mountain could be returned to full and sustainable operations. The Berry's have lost a lot of money, so far and on-going, on SB so far.

Unfortunately, as they say in Maine; "You can't get there from here". I wish someone could, I just don't see it.

Last edited: