• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ORDA goes solar

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Germany, interestingly enough generates more solar energy than any other country in the world. Germany is not a large country like the US and has about the same weather as New England.

I just find that interesting and it makes me wonder why there isn't more of that here.

Another interesting thing is that Spain which is fourth in solar energy production exports 80% of that to - France? no - but to Germany. What do the Germans know that we aren't willing to admit?

Last edited:

Puck it

Germany, interestingly enough generates more solar energy than any other country in the world. Germany is not a large country like the US and has about the same weather as New England.

I just find that find it interesting and it makes me wonder why there isn't more of that here.

Another interesting thing is that Spain which is fourth in solar energy production exports 80% of that to - France? no - but to Germany. What do the Germans know that we aren't willing to admit?
France also has quite of number of nuke plants.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I just find that interesting and it makes me wonder why there isn't more of that here.

I see more solar panels in Vermont than any other state I travel too. It's a running joke with my friends that live there. "How come you're the only person in the neighborhood without a solar panel?"

BenedictGomez

I was more counting on your dislike of alternative energy sources vs fossil fuels. ;)

I have no dislike of alternative energy sources. I "dislike" how both political & corporate entities lie to the masses regarding the finances behind alternative energy for their gain, and how that's harming our financial future and stealing from citizens.

The day a given alternative energy source is as efficient or more efficient than fossil fuels are, is the day I'll fully throw my support behind it, but that day simply isn't here yet.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
There's incentives in place in NE but I know they're running out at the end of 2016. Anyone thinking of into it or have installed solar panels ? I have some pretty good southern exposure so I'm thinking about it. Just don't want to think too long and lose out.

SIKSKIER

That its citizens are willing to pay more for energy to get rid of nuclear power plants, esp. after Chernobyl.
This is partly true.The main push for Germany recently shutting down 8 of its 17 reactors was the Fukuashima disaster caused by the earthquake/tidal wave in Japan.In contrast France has 58 reactors and plans for many more.They export lots of electricity to neighboring countries.

SIKSKIER

[h=1]Should Other Nations Follow Germany's Lead On Promoting Solar Power?[/h]
Comment Now Follow Comments Following Comments Unfollow Comments
16px_on_transparent.gif

Answer by Ryan Carlyle, BSChE, Subsea Hydraulics Engineer
ryancarlyle.jpeg
Ryan Carlyle, BSChE, Subsea Hydraulics Engineer

The answer is the most forceful possible no.

Interesting article on Germanys shift to solar.http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2...ollow-germanys-lead-on-promoting-solar-power/

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Should Other Nations Follow Germany's Lead On Promoting Solar Power?

The answer is the most forceful possible no.

Interesting article on Germanys shift to solar.http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2...ollow-germanys-lead-on-promoting-solar-power/
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. One of the conclusions that I don't understand is "The result is that utilities must choose between coal, blackouts, or bankruptcy. Which means much more pollution." So I can't help but wonder, if coal is operating only at night why would that mean more pollution? How does that work exactly? Seems to me that they be operating at off peak hours for half the time - would that possibly make a coal operation unprofitable?

It certainly is dismaying how much the Germans are paying for electric power. I talked solar power over with my wife who has heard of what some installations costs are and she tells me it would it would take ten years for the savings we might get to pay off the solar installation.

mbedle

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. One of the conclusions that I don't understand is "The result is that utilities must choose between coal, blackouts, or bankruptcy. Which means much more pollution." So I can't help but wonder, if coal is operating only at night why would that mean more pollution? How does that work exactly? Seems to me that they be operating at off peak hours for half the time - would that possibly make a coal operation unprofitable?

It certainly is dismaying how much the Germans are paying for electric power. I talked solar power over with my wife who has heard of what some installations costs are and she tells me it would it would take ten years for the savings we might get to pay off the solar installation.

The profitability comes from operating the coal plan 24/7 and selling the electric. Plants will have a hard time staying profitable only operating ¾ of the day. I'm also not sure how long it takes to put a coal plant online and offline. I would guess that its not as easy as flipping the switch. More pollution comes from shutting down zero emission sources (nuclear) and relying on coal plants to supply the necessary power when solar can't (i.e, cloudy days, nighttime, etc.). As far as payback goes, you are correct on the payback timeframes for a solar installation. I've seen it as high 15 years and depends on a lot of things. Panel typically come with a 25 year lifespan, but some brands see an 80% drop in production as soon as 11 years. You need to also take into account the fluctuations in how much your local generation company is going to pay you over the years to purchase your extra electric. And finally, the issue of will you own your home in 10 or 15 years. How much extra you get on having the solar system install, at time of sale, is another issue to look at.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
And finally, the issue of will you own your home in 10 or 15 years. How much extra you get on having the solar system install, at time of sale, is another issue to look at.
I'd think that selling a house with solar panels might actually complicate the sale and scare some buyers off, though it may attract some of the "hippie" crowd.

BenedictGomez

I'd think that selling a house with solar panels might actually complicate the sale and scare some buyers off, though it may attract some of the "hippie" crowd.

I'd like to see a non-biased real estate survey on this. I think solar panels on roofs are ugly as crap, and I'd definitely be disinclined to buy. I do agree the "hippie" crowd and the "look at me" crowd might be attracted though.