• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Commuting advice from Southern NH to the Merrimack Valley area

podunk77

I'm blessed with a 5-minute commute to work right now (live and work in the Methuen area), but I'm getting the urge to buy a house in Southern NH and the ones I like most are in places like Weare, Candia, Epsom, etc.

Am I out of my mind for taking on a commute like that, or does anyone here do something similar to that daily (my work hours are 9-5, so we're talking the normal rush hour)? Thoughts/feedback are appreciated.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I commute about 18 miles from the Bristol area to Holderness. It takes about 25-30 but with a lot less traffic than you would get in southern NH. I draw the line at about a half hour. I think you're looking at close to an hour commute one way. Do you like to/want to drive that much?

xwhaler

I live in Epping and work in Lawrence and have been doing this commute everyday for 5+ yrs now.

The key for me and why it hasn't been totally crappy is that I have a bunch of different options for routes depending on traffic.
With no traffic I can do any of the 3 ways in ~45 mins door to door
101 E--->93 S (~45 miles) Absolute fastest by a few mins if I really am in a rush or want to get home 3-4 mins faster. Usually do this on way home most days)
125 S--->495 S (~32 miles)
107-->111--->93 S (~35 miles)
102--->93 S (~35 miles)
101E--->95 S--495 S (~45 mi)

Add to the above I've learned a bunch of the cut throughs and shortcuts that helps me avoid big traffic jams/lights etc when necessary. Having options saves me time as I always check traffic along the routes before leaving home and before leaving work and plan accordingly. I also check traffic along the routes so I have options in case there is trouble ahead.

Also, it helps to break up the monotony when I go different ways.

For your target locations you lose the options I outlined as you are basically relegated to 93. I can tell you 93 in the AM is very easy with the only bottleneck being Salem but even that there is virtually no tapping of the brakes. Though I'm going through at 7:15/7:30 AM so not sure what closer to 9 looks like.
93 coming home is pretty bad through Salem starting at about 3:45 (worse on Fridays) It effectively backs up from 110 in Methuen all the way to Exit 3 Windham before easing up. I'm talking a slow roll/stopped through Salem and then 15-20 mph up to Exit 3.

What should take 10 mins from Methuen to Windham could very easily take 40 if you hit it at the worst time.
Once you hit Exit 3 it always clears right out and

I would suggest to you a couple things:
1) possibly look in other areas where you will have multiple route options...i.e closer East opens up the possibility of using 495/95/101 or further west opens up Route 3 as an option.

2) start looking at traffic maps during your normal commuting times...see on the map where the traffic is heavy/light and make a note of it. This perspective may help a bit before signing papers anywhere.

3) See if there is any flexibility in your job hours to flex your commute a bit. I get to the office no later than 7:30 and leave either at 4 or 5 depending on whether I'm doing childcare pickup.
Leaving at 4 helps quite a bit...leaving between 5:30-6 pm is toughest in terms of traffic.

Have fun and ask any questions you want---NH is a great spot to live---lots of folks do the S NH to Northern Mass commute everyday.

Last edited:

JDMRoma

I drive an hour each way without traffic, Hudson NH to Westwood Mass.......It Sucks yes but one way to
make traffic bearable for me was Audio Books ! Helps considerably to ease the pain.
Im lucky to work off peak hours.......5am to 1:30pm, Not fun getting up at 3am though !
But on the up side......I sleep in on the weekend and still able to get to the Mountains early....sometimes too early :)

Savemeasammy

Consider the cost of commuting as part of the equation. Money that you pump into the gas tank (as well as all of the other higher costs related to commuting) is money that you will never see again...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

podunk77

Good feedback, everyone, and special thanks to xwhaler for such a detailed response. I'll probably continue the house search but at a casual pace, and try to learn to appreciate a bit more the situation I'm currently in. God, the next 8 years til retirement can't come fast enough for me.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I agree with "puck it", but I offer you a suggestion: Rent a place for a few months and try the commute. Do not do it in the summer when you aren't dealing with school traffic and be sure to include enough of the winter so that you will experience what snowstorm commuting is all about. I suspect with what you save in commuting costs, you could cover the price of a seasonal rental at or near a ski area.

yeggous

Consider the cost of commuting as part of the equation. Money that you pump into the gas tank (as well as all of the other higher costs related to commuting) is money that you will never see again...

This is a good point. Most studies that I have seen suggest that mileage commuting usually offsets any gains on housing prices. Commuting an extra 30 miles each way can add up to $600 per month by the time you account for all the expenses.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

snoseek

In summertime I commute from Epping to haverhill but I work weird hours. It can be a shitshow in the am some times but 125 is usually OK.

But working in mass and living in nh is almost like paying a double tax. I would look at the Hampstead sandown or Kingston area for a shorter commute

yeggous

In summertime I commute from Epping to haverhill but I work weird hours. It can be a shitshow in the am some times but 125 is usually OK.

But working in mass and living in nh is almost like paying a double tax. I would look at the Hampstead sandown or Kingston area for a shorter commute

Not almost, it definitely is. We've talked about moving to NH, but it makes no sense. All the good jobs are in MA.

deadheadskier

Staff member
People say it's like paying double tax, but I honestly don't think you take the property tax hit in NH that many people think you do. The property valuations are lower, so it kind of washes out depending on the town.

I'm fortunate. I make most of my money in MA, but I have a home based office in NH and don't have to pay the Mass income tax man.