• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2022 Winter Olympic Venue is...

BenedictGomez

Beijing.....*cricket cricket*

Wait what?!

Nobody wanted it. There were only 2 bids, China and Kazakhstan.

The realization that the Olympics is a huge money-sucking, financial sink hole for your nation, is finally being realized. With the global economy in the crapper, I'm not totally surprised. You may see more and more Olympic Games and World Cups awarded to totalitarian & pseudo-totalitarian regimes in the future. Places where Soccer & Olympics > Citizens eating food.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Let's see if they can actually cover a 3000' vertical trail with man-made snow. The mountains outside of Beijing are completely arid. They apparently have to stockpile manmade to ensure they have enough for the games. I am thinking that will make the Superstar glacier look like a bunny slope. Lol.

drjeff

Let's see if they can actually cover a 3000' vertical trail with man-made snow. The mountains outside of Beijing are completely arid. They apparently have to stockpile manmade to ensure they have enough for the games. I am thinking that will make the Superstar glacier look like a bunny slope. Lol.

Given the spectacle that China put on with the Beijing summer games, my guess is that even if it takes them building a few on mountain GIANT enclosed refrigerated buildings and making massive quantities of snow inside and then transporting it out onto the hill that is covered with cooling pipes, it will be done! I'm sure that all the big names in snowmaking, grooming, lifts, etc were drooling when they heard of the Beijing announcement and started to really work on the likely contacts they've already been working on within China to help secure what is going to be a BIG contract!

BenedictGomez

Really a dumb idea. It is the f'ing winter games. Sochi was bad enough.

Another good recent example of a totalitarian event. Putin wanted it there, so it was there.

Given the spectacle that China put on with the Beijing summer games, my guess is that even if it takes them building a few on mountain GIANT enclosed refrigerated buildings and making massive quantities of snow inside and then transporting it out onto the hill that is covered with cooling pipes, it will be done!

And it will provide thousands of peasants with something to do for a while.

Like building the largest shopping mall in the world and having no tenants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South_China_Mall

MadMadWorld

It's just silly. None of the skiing/snowboarding infrastructure will be used again. They would have been better off doing it in Quebec with a shortened downhill event.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
One of the comments under the original article hit the nail on the head. Speaking about hosting the Olympics in general: "Biggest waste of money I’ve ever heard of. They should just build a single complex to host them for all time or just scrap them entirely."

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Picture of the skiing venue, taken in January.

attachment.php

http://gizmodo.com/heres-the-2022-winter-olympics-venue-in-the-middle-of-1721529580

Attachments

• 1366726578146198120.jpg
    1366726578146198120.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 294

xwhaler

Amazing the $ that is spent to create these venues from the ground up to be used for 2 weeks and then never again....should have a couple rotating sites for each summer and winter and have the public use the facilities in between games.
Make sure the venues are selected where the facilities will be used by the locals during non Olympic times. i.e. skiing in Utah or Calgary where some public benefit is realized.

https://www.distractify.com/haunting-images-of-abandoned-olympic-venues-1197627259.html

MadMadWorld

I know it doesn't snow but I wonder how cold it gets. Socchi got ugly at times because of how warm it got. The medal winners always came from racers that went earlier in the day when the snow was faster. The ones later on never had a chance in some events.

I personally would have rather Quebec have the Olympics with a shortened DH course or not at all :eek:

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
In the article, they said that it's warm enough where stockpiling man made snow at higher elevations like in Sochi isn't an option. So they plan on storing snow in freezers, then transporting it to the venue.

You know, completely reasonable for China.

mriceyman

Wonder when the olympics will be no more because they cant find a country willing to lose billions

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone