• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Granite Peak

Domeskier

It's just a 4 hour drive north of there to triple black diamond extreme skiing at Mt. Bohemia if you're up for it.

Mapnut

Looks like a Poconos area with way more natural snow. Would you bring your skis for that?

JimG.

Staff member
It's just a 4 hour drive north of there to triple black diamond extreme skiing at Mt. Bohemia if you're up for it.

Mt. Bohemia is on my list; that area is beautiful been there in early Fall for salmon fishing.

ironhippy

you can have a lot of fun at smaller hills, provided you set your expectations correctly.
This is also assuming the smaller hill has an open tree skiing policy.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I didn't even know that place existed! Small vertical but looks steep. Has anyone been there?

On this forum, Mt. Bohemia is in the category of Sasquatch, the Loch Ness Monster, and unicorns. We've been told it exists, and it's talked about frequently, but no one knows for sure about the skiing in the Promised Land.

Mapnut

I just looked up the topo for you, just southwest of Wausau, Wisconsin. It looks Belleayre-ish, steep tops and long flat runouts. 700 feet of vertical may be a stretch, as usual.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I believe that used to be called Rib Mt. If it is, it's probably as good an area as you'll find in WI from the POV of size and variety. If I was flying, I'd bring boots and rent the skis. It will cost you more to check the skis than it will to rent some.

machski

I've been to Granite Peak back in 2002, just when the really started modernizing and expanding (pre high speed lift days). The upper part of the hill was quite fun and if they get snow, there are some fun lines in the trees. The extreme top even has some cool short chute type lines (and by extreme top and short, I do mean just that). Since I've gone they have added the Comet and Dasher Pods so can't comment on those. It is fun, just set your expectations up. The better runs are likely off Dasher for good continuous vert. The main side flattens out for the last almost 2/3's of the run lengths if I remember correctly. Consider heading about an hour or o south to Devils Head as well. Their signature double diamond believe it or not is named Outter Limits (and while short, does do honor to the name of K's signature run)!

Rothski

We relocated to the Chicago area some time back and frequently make the trip to Granite Peak. Area is well run, make a lot of snow and have great lifts overall. They have invested a lot of money over the years. The top third is steep, bottom two thirds is runout. But, in a good natural snow year, there are a lot of glades. Place has a good vibe overall. I grew up skiing the Bush. So I miss VT skiing, but my kids have become very strong skiers at this place because it has plenty to really challenge them. Give it a try. Also, try New Glarus Spotted Cow. Great beer that you can only get in Wisconsin.