• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First signs that ski season is near

VTKilarney

A colder than average winter may be on the horizon for portions of the Southwest, Southern Plains, Southeast and East Coast, according to a December 2015-February 2016 temperature outlook released by The Weather Channel Professional Division on Friday.

Read the first paragraph before making an ass of yourself! :)

Doh! Fucking Weather Underground re-posting other people's crap!

I also had no idea that they were bought out.

Vortex

I think its kind of cool, two years in a row Sr has made snow in the summer.

I think any time after Columbus day weekend it gets serious. 3 or 4 years ago I believe sr Started making a go to open the Monday of Columbus day weekend.

I still believe if Sunday River did not start pushing for October openings, none of the other mountains would have either.

steamboat1

I still believe if Sunday River did not start pushing for October openings, none of the other mountains would have either.
On the K website opening/closing dates only go back to the 87/88 season. K has opened in Oct. 19 times in that time. I'm sure they opened in Oct. many times before that also. In fact they've opened Oct.1 three times during that period. I wouldn't give SR credit for pushing early openings

Last edited:

Vortex

Steamboat1

I was talking the recent past. It was not long ago October skiing was a thing of the past. Boyne brought it back to the River. Now both Killington and SR both go for it as well as others. It has been good for all.

skiadikt

Steamboat1

I was talking the recent past. It was not long ago October skiing was a thing of the past. Boyne brought it back to the River. Now both Killington and SR both go for it as well as others. It has been good for all.

it was not for lack of trying at k but after the k1 gondola replaced the k-chair it became difficult. despite a few years using trucks and even one year opening oct 1 on ramshead, october skiing got put on the back burner as there were insurance issues with the trucking in addition to asc's growing financial problems. the emphasis switched to offering a good top-to-bottom product until nyberg (one of the few good things he did) realized the importance of early season skiing and found a solution by building the stairway to heaven.

and for those who didn't experience "truckin" at killington, here's a video i made at the time:

Vortex

it was not for lack of trying at k but after the k1 gondola replaced the k-chair it became difficult. despite a few years using trucks and even one year opening oct 1 on ramshead, october skiing got put on the back burner as there were insurance issues with the trucking in addition to asc's growing financial problems. the emphasis switched to offering a good top-to-bottom product until nyberg (one of the few good things he did) realized the importance of early season skiing and found a solution by building the stairway to heaven.

and for those who didn't experience "truckin" at killington, here's a video i made at the time:

I was going to use you as a reference, but did not want to pull you into this. Its all about us all skiing more. There is a bit of fun competition, without that...... The push is more towards Turkey day not Halloween or earlier.

skiadikt

I was going to use you as a reference, but did not want to pull you into this. Its all about us all skiing more. There is a bit of fun competition, without that...... The push is more towards Turkey day not Halloween or earlier.

bob, hoping we all get to enjoy some october skiing (as long as kiliington is first) ;-)

Dickc

I think its kind of cool, two years in a row Sr has made snow in the summer.

I think any time after Columbus day weekend it gets serious. 3 or 4 years ago I believe sr Started making a go to open the Monday of Columbus day weekend.

SR opened on Thursday October 15, 2009 that year they started blowing snow on Columbus day.

slatham

I can't believe the K once trucked people over to ski. And in really marginal snow. I am in favor of the early season push but that's too much.

skiur

I can't believe the K once trucked people over to ski. And in really marginal snow. I am in favor of the early season push but that's too much.

It wasnt that far, and not steep, just to the bottom of the canyon quad, I prefer that over the current stairway to heaven setup.