• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First signs that ski season is near

jimmywilson69

I would say the high tempers in threads as of late is a sure indication that Summer is nearly over and people are ready to get back on the snow

bigbog

No fan needed at night these last 5 nights...woohoo!
Ditto on the shortened day hours to get everything accomplished....but at least the grass isn't growing like it was back in June, ~4days back then...:-o ...and the backwoods roads' mud has either dried or has much more consistency...

Attachments

• Showers_I_Hope1.jpg
    Showers_I_Hope1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Showers_I_Hope2.jpg
    Showers_I_Hope2.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 137
  • LowerMoosehead_LateEve.jpg
    LowerMoosehead_LateEve.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

dlague

No fan needed at night these last 5 nights...woohoo!
Ditto on the shortened day hours to get everything accomplished....but at least the grass isn't growing like it was back in June, ~4days back then...:-o ...and the backwoods roads' mud has either dried or has much more consistency...

True about the grass! Went almost two weeks!

prsboogie

Got the kids fitted today for their seasonal rentals and picked up their free season pass applications for BW!!

snoseek

My work schedule goes from 60-80 hour weeks to normal 40-50 hour weeks right about now. After the summer it feels like a vacation. 5 more weeks and a five week vacation. For me the fall is the very best time of year, followed by winter/early spring which is equally great. Bring it!

dlague

School starts tomorrow for my son and ......Labor Day Weekend is next and September starts tomorrow!!!!!

prsboogie

Where did you do the kids seasonal lease out of if I may ask?

The Ski House in Somerset Ma. Great small shop about 15 minutes from me. They are limited in what they do, mounts, tunes, rentals sales. No boot work but they have a decent selection of stuff

skiNEwhere

October 10 for Arapahoe Basin
October 17 for Killington

No fooling around this year.

Where do you get this Oct 10th date from? A basin doesn't have a set schedule, they make snow as soon at the long term temps are favorable.

Oct 10 is a pretty optimistic guess, earliest they've ever opened is Oct 9th. I'll take whatever I can get though

yeggous

The Ski House in Somerset Ma. Great small shop about 15 minutes from me. They are limited in what they do, mounts, tunes, rentals sales. No boot work but they have a decent selection of stuff

Zimmerman's in Nashua is giving kids passes to both Bretton Woods and Ragged. I think this is a great move by Ragged. I love that mountain and want to see them succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Farmer's Almanac is out, with good news!

LEWISTON — It’s not what Bostonians want to hear: The Farmer’s Almanac says another rough winter is in your stars.

A year after Boston was pummeled with the snowiest winter on record, editors of the Maine-based publication have dubbed their latest forecast a “winter deja vu,” hearkening to last winter’s misery across the Northeast.

Using a formula built on sunspots, moon phases and tidal action, the 199-year-old almanac that hits newsstands this week predicts cold and snowy weather from Maine to Montana.
“Say it isn’t snow!” quipped Editor Peter Geiger.
The editors aren’t afraid to go out on a limb. Among their long-term projections in the 2016 edition: Fabulous weather from coast to coast for Election Day, something that could boost the presidential election turnout, Geiger said.
Also, the unseasonably cold temperatures are supposed to dip down as far as Kentucky this winter, the almanac says. Editors predict milder weather out West, and chilly and wet weather for the South.

The publication, not to be confused with the New Hampshire-based Old Farmer’s Almanac, uses a prediction method largely unchanged since the first almanac was published in 1818.

Last winter, the almanac’s prediction of “shivery and shovelry” came true in New England, where Boston recorded more than 100 inches of snow – nearly 65 inches in February alone – and set a snowfall record. But the almanac didn’t nail it everywhere: out West, it was unusually warm while the almanac projected cool temperatures.