• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak - 2/11/2007

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Sunday, 2/11/2007, 9:15 am - 2:30 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Jiminy Peak, Hancock, Massachusetts

Conditions: Manmade packed powder, some edgeable hard pack, Temps in the 20's, Mostly sunny am, Mostly cloudy pm, NO wind.

Trip Report: Took a run up to Jiminy with my father-in-law. The weather was fantastic today with no wind and sun for much of the day. The skiing was equally as good with all runs pretty much skiing the same - groomed packed powder over a very edgeable base, with tons of deep manmade on the sides of the the steeper trails. We hit the mountain from skier's left to right and took a break for lunch at Christiansen's at 11:15. Got back out by 11:45 and skied until 2:30 after 19 runs. The line at the six was almost moot - 5-7 minutes at most. The quads were mostly ski-on with a few 3 or 4 chair waits.

The best runs were Whitetail, Wild Turkey and Jericho. Whitetail skied great right under the Q1 with a few lines showing up right along the groomer lip. There were also a few areas of ungroomed that were fun to chop through. On skier's right, within 10 feet of the treeline was fantastic - deep manmade snow. Very slow controlled turns ruled the day. I ate up every one. Wild Turkey skied great on skier's left right along the trees as well. Jericho was run of the day. There was a pretty wide (maybe 30 feet?) area of ungroomed most of the way down on skier's right. There were some thin spots and many sticks poking through, but I had the most fun here. Tons of loose manmade, cruddy powder and some broken crust. Nobody bothered to ski here so I enjoyed it all to myself. I took a few pics on my last run. I'll post them later.

No moguls to be found unfortunately. Cutter was groomed (didn't ski it) and the "Mogul Thing" was pretty weak. Some small (< 1') icey bumps randomly spaced. Wasn't impressed. The mountain has plenty of terrain that they could dedicate a seeded bump run, other than Cutter which I think is natural bumps which might explain why it was groomed.

All in a a great day. I worked on exaggerated turn initiation with my tips and felt my tails swinging around on each turn. Really great day of skiing. Skied hard 3 out of the past 5 days. Looking forward to a bit of a break as I felt some pretty tired legs today.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Sunday, 2/11/2007, 9:15 am - 2:30 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Jiminy Peak, Hancock, Massachusetts

Conditions: Manmade packed powder, some edgeable hard pack, Temps in the 20's, Mostly sunny am, Mostly cloudy pm, NO wind.

Trip Report: Took a run up to Jiminy with my father-in-law. The weather was fantastic today with no wind and sun for much of the day. The skiing was equally as good with all runs pretty much skiing the same - groomed packed powder over a very edgeable base, with tons of deep manmade on the sides of the the steeper trails. We hit the mountain from skier's left to right and took a break for lunch at Christiansen's at 11:15. Got back out by 11:45 and skied until 2:30 after 19 runs. The line at the six was almost moot - 5-7 minutes at most. The quads were mostly ski-on with a few 3 or 4 chair waits.

The best runs were Whitetail, Wild Turkey and Jericho. Whitetail skied great right under the Q1 with a few lines showing up right along the groomer lip. There were also a few areas of ungroomed that were fun to chop through. On skier's right, within 10 feet of the treeline was fantastic - deep manmade snow. Very slow controlled turns ruled the day. I ate up every one. Wild Turkey skied great on skier's left right along the trees as well. Jericho was run of the day. There was a pretty wide (maybe 30 feet?) area of ungroomed most of the way down on skier's right. There were some thin spots and many sticks poking through, but I had the most fun here. Tons of loose manmade, cruddy powder and some broken crust. Nobody bothered to ski here so I enjoyed it all to myself. I took a few pics on my last run. I'll post them later.

No moguls to be found unfortunately. Cutter was groomed (didn't ski it) and the "Mogul Thing" was pretty weak. Some small (< 1') icey bumps randomly spaced. Wasn't impressed. The mountain has plenty of terrain that they could dedicate a seeded bump run, other than Cutter which I think is natural bumps which might explain why it was groomed.

All in a a great day. I worked on exaggerated turn initiation with my tips and felt my tails swinging around on each turn. Really great day of skiing. Skied hard 3 out of the past 5 days. Looking forward to a bit of a break as I felt some pretty tired legs today.
Nice!! Its was a really nice day today, wish I was skiing. I can't believe mogul thing has not improved since I was there a few weeks back.:roll: Like I said before Sundown has way better bumps.

Greg

Staff member
Nice!! Its was a really nice day today, wish I was skiing. I can't believe mogul thing has not improved since I was there a few weeks back.:roll: Like I said before Sundown has way better bumps.

Sundown has waaaaaay better bumps. Still great skiing today though. Got many many aggressive turns in. My legs were about to melt in the afternoon. Here are some pics from my final run down Jericho (click for larger image):

Final ride up the Q1:

Patrol going after the good stuff under the Q1

Jericho!

View up the upper section of Jericho
This strip with the sticks poking through was ungroomed and very skiable. Lots of crud and some crust but lots of fun.

View from Jericho

Last steep pitch
More ungroomed lovin'...

Hawkshot99

Good stuff man. Glad to hear there was decent snow on their steeps, that's a rarity!

It was light flurries at 8am on sat. and snowed all day with very heavy snow for a few hours.

O yea, Sat. Cutter had tons of soft on skier's left. Very fun trail. I always go up there at night so it was fun skiing on trails like jerico, cutter, and a few others not open at night.