Any Crossfitters on the board?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any Crossfitters on the board?

I started about 6 weeks ago. Feeling stronger than I have in long time and really looking forward to this season. Lots of leg and core work.

Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

I've been super tempted but fear of injury and cost have kept me away.

How often are you going? Did you take the intro classes?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I did insanity last summer. It definitely made me stronger but I felt like I strained my ACL....I've heard crossfit can be be just as tough on the joints and ligaments, for that reason I'm somewhat leery.
    2017/2018 Days

A-Basin - 10/13

Loveland Pass - 10/6

2016/2017 Days - 34 (inc. 10 BC)
    2015/2016 Days - 57 (inc. 2 BC)
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47 (inc. 6 BC)

I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen.

Quote Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
    I did insanity last summer. It definitely made me stronger but I felt like I strained my ACL....I've heard crossfit can be be just as tough on the joints and ligaments, for that reason I'm somewhat leery.
    Insanity is brutal on your knees, not enough warm up / cool down and stretching. I've got a couple of the 30 minute workouts, T25 and p90x 3 but I'm not ready for them right now. Playing it safe with the original P90x till the start of ski season. Will switch to the shorter workouts in the winter.

We got p90x3 at the start of summer but never really got going with it. Strainded a ligament in my elbow during the first week. Been wanting to do something and we are going to do a hybrid of p90x3 stuff and our own routines. My wife does like regimented exercises. We also are not morning people and time in the evening is tough. Excuses, excuses!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    We got p90x3 at the start of summer but never really got going with it. Strainded a ligament in my elbow during the first week. Been wanting to do something and we are going to do a hybrid of p90x3 stuff and our own routines. My wife does like regimented exercises. We also are not morning people and time in the evening is tough. Excuses, excuses!
    I wish I could workout in the morning !
    Leaving for work at 3:30am makes it hard !

I'm doing a hybrid of sorts too , most p90x but with other cardio options !
    Keeps it interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by BackLoafRiver View Post
    I've been super tempted but fear of injury and cost have kept me away.

How often are you going? Did you take the intro classes?

I'm trying to get 4 classes in a week. I started in the summer and my box didn't have enough people for a separate on ramp class. The coach has just been working directly with me making sure I'm using good form and not lifting too much to start. I'm 7 weeks in and just starting to work on finding my max weights.

I've done the beach body stuff and insanity is really hard on the joints. With Crossfit my joints are feeling stronger and more stable. I'll also note that I have a bad shoulder from ski season. There are always alternatives to exercises that might hurt my shoulder.

The Crossfit Cult got you too

j/k

I've thought about it because I've never met anyone who tried it and didn't love it. I just can't get behind the value proposition. My Planet Fitness membership costs me $10 a month. I probably go 3 days a week and do yoga videos on the off days. So, my out of pocket expense on working out is maybe 50 cents per work out. Hard to make the leap from there to $15-20 a work out with Crossfit. I'm sure the group dynamic is fun and motivating. I'm sure their coaches would get me in much better shape than I'm doing on my own. I'm sure if I did fewer 12 ounce curls, I'd probably be in better shape as well.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    The Crossfit Cult got you too

j/k

I've thought about it because I've never met anyone who tried it and didn't love it. I just can't get behind the value proposition. My Planet Fitness membership costs me $10 a month. I probably go 3 days a week and do yoga videos on the off days. So, my out of pocket expense on working out is maybe 50 cents per work out. Hard to make the leap from there to $15-20 a work out with Crossfit. I'm sure the group dynamic is fun and motivating. I'm sure their coaches would get me in much better shape than I'm doing on my own. I'm sure if I did fewer 12 ounce curls, I'd probably be in better shape as well.
    The cost was the biggest hurdle for me ($150 a month, I get in 4 days a week so it's just under $10 a workout). I found a Groupon for the first month and got pulled in. It works for me and I enjoy working out as a group and it keeps me more motivated to go. I haven't really lost any weight in this time, but I do have more definition in my legs and arms and I've moved to the next hole in my belts. So I figure I'm just replacing muscle with fat at the moment. I should quit drinking for a while to really make some progress with weight, but that's probably not going to happen ....

Rather nsfw video

That's a good deal. Most of the time I see prices like 10 sessions for $150.

Thread Information