• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Strongest El Nino Ever

oldtimer

oh boy- who remembers 97-98? Our mantra was "El Nino sucks". Perhaps this one will not be so warm int he Northeast.

snoseek

It has less influence back east and more in the west. Break down the blob and shake up the weather pattern. I'm due for at least an average year.

slatham

"Strongest El Nino ever" is a bit much IMHO based on what I read from the various services that I follow. Strong, ok. Strongest ever, no.

There are other, significant factors at play, including the warm water in the Eastern Pacific which helped create the last 2 rather enjoyable winters. That warm water still persists. And there are very few El Nino winters with this set up, so little direct precedent (not many good analogue years).

I've seen 2 forecasts for this upcoming winter and both are colder and snowier than average, though maybe not as bullish as the last two winters.

In the meantime, THINK SNOW!!!!!!!!!!

snoseek

The idea is the blob would break down with this pattern...who knows. This el nino isn't strongest ever but it hasn't peaked yet and is trending pretty strong. I'll let you know what happens about may 1st next year.

oldtimer

I threw it out as a good summer discussion. Lots of opinions, very few hard facts.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Holding my breath with regards to how it plays out here in Utah....it is a close call and could be either awesome or completely suck. Most are saying it should be very good. We're due.

oldtimer

I was at Squaw for a bunch of 97-98. Good snow pack, but lotsa rain in it throughout the winter. Plenty of skiing in the rain- not something the locals were used to. My records of skiing in VT and ME show warm and not very moist.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was at Squaw for a bunch of 97-98. Good snow pack, but lotsa rain in it throughout the winter. Plenty of skiing in the rain- not something the locals were used to. My records of skiing in VT and ME show warm and not very moist.

FWIW 1997-1998 was the winter of the "Great Ice Storm".

VTKilarney

I hate to be a downer, but we've had a couple of epic years and everything must average out in the end.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I hate to be a downer, but we've had a couple of epic years and everything must average out in the end.

If there is Climate change? ...we'll see if the last few seasons are the new normal?
The warm water off the Gulf of Alaska caused the ridge to form bringing us all the cold air.
I'm curious to see if it persisting , looked for some charts but haven't any luck .
Didn't spend a lot of time on the search .
If it's still there it will be interesting to see how El Niño interacts.
Could be some wild weather.

steamboat1

attachment.php

Attachments

• 44303_520731911283104_365453506_n.jpg
    44303_520731911283104_365453506_n.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 215

VTKilarney

As much as I love Tim Minchin, there ought to be a rule against posting a 10 minute video to make a point that can be made in 10 seconds.

Tin

Logic 101 anyone? Causation...correlation...[\QUOTE]

As much as I love Tim Minchin, there ought to be a rule against posting a 10 minute video to make a point that can be made in 10 seconds.

Just skip to the 3 minute mark and make it 7 then lol

It is such a great piece and really shows his talent. Got to see him at a small show in NYC a few years ago and it was great. Whatever examples given in 10 seconds are not enough for most, thus the counters are needed. Plus it is just a great story and most of us have run into the school mom or early 20s hipster like "Storm".

slatham

Weatherbell just posted an analysis of the sea surface temps. Last year the 5 ocean regions they use all pointed to a cold central/eastern U.S. This year 4 of 5 do. The one that doesn't is El Niño, but to a good extent that's because right now the warmest anamoly in the El Niño region is toward the East, just off the coast of South America. But there are indications this is shifting west, to the 3.4 region (closer to the date line). When this area is the warmest of the El Niño regions it too points to a cold east. So this is not your typical El Niño. Being the optimist, I'm thinking of those cold snaps of last year meeting up the the surges of moisture from the Southwest in an active El Niño year. Can you say Blizzard!