• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's Wayout to become an Intermediate Trail

catskills

Huh?

Does this just mean wide steep trails?

Maybe

Hunter Mtn has an abundance of single black diamond trails and could use some more blue intermediate trails. Will have to wait and see how this works out.

Out west they have single blue squares and double blue squares. Maybe Wayout needs to be a double blue square.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You know I'm trying to think of a place/trails that have been downgraded in rating and of all places it's Okemo. When Coleman Brook was cut it was initially a Blue Square and is now a green. When Screamin Demon was cut is was a Black Diamond and they changed it to a Blue.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
You know I'm trying to think of a place/trails that have been downgraded in rating and of all places it's Okemo. When Coleman Brook was cut it was initially a Blue Square and is now a green. When Screamin Demon was cut is was a Black Diamond and they changed it to a Blue.

But the two natural trails on Jackson Gore were bumped from black to double black.

kartski

They can do whatever they want at Hunter. I'll likely never ski there again.

Snow, Pitch and a Lift and I'm Happy, at Hunter I'm really Pretty Happy. It's close enough, I don't have to think about a Ski House. Got to have a lift though, if all there was is XCountry, I don't know if I'd be involved with the Sport.

Cornhead

Hunter has kinda grown on me, I still prefer Platty, but when I skied there last year after a thaw freeze cycle, Hunter was in excellent shape due to their prodigious snowmaking power. The "snow" had a Styrofoam feel to it, but it was fun skiing something different. Steep terrain was much easier to ski since it was extremely edgeable. I'm sure Hunter was in much better shape than my home hill on that day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Looks like a fine mountain to me. Steep, decent vertical, couple fast lifts, 150" of natural and convenient to the NYC folks. I'm sure I'd ski there often if I lived in that metro. Platty likely a bit more depending on recent natural.

ScottySkis

Looks like a fine mountain to me. Steep, decent vertical, couple fast lifts, 150" of natural and convenient to the NYC folks. I'm sure I'd ski there often if I lived in that metro. Platty likely a bit more depending on recent natural.
What Plattekill is town in NY an hour from any Catskills west mountain s and lodge rest stop on thurway 87 past new palzt hippie town never a ski or sniwboard ing hill small mist be to far away.
That what a good percentage of most az people who like steeps would say if they lucky enough to ski and hike here in Catskills are slopes are tny compared to 1000 plus more vertical I see on Mountain s when hike these gig places.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

What Plattekill is town in NY an hour from any Catskills west mountain s and lodge rest stop on thurway 87 past new palzt hippie town never a ski or sniwboard ing hill small mist be to far away.
That what a good percentage of most az people who like steeps would say if they lucky enough to ski and hike here in Catskills are slopes are tny compared to 1000 plus more vertical I see on Mountain s when hike these gig places.

I love the fact that the above Scotty post was edited.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Mount Snow's all-diamond North Face has the blue River Run leading to it. Killington's Canyon has the black East Fall leading to all double black.
When they first opened the North Face, Olympic was a blue square, which it truly is. They actually changed it to a black so they could claim that the North Face was a "totally expert" pod.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
When they first opened the North Face, Olympic was a blue square, which it truly is. They actually changed it to a black so they could claim that the North Face was a "totally expert" pod.

I had seen that early map. I never felt Olympic could be a Mount Snow blue. At the minimum it would need snowmaking and grooming. The top 200 feet is too steep and narrow.

Scruffy

quote_icon.png
riginally Posted by Skier4life

I believe you are still missing the point.......................
If you do not change one of the other black trails on Hunter West (Clair's tail end) to a blue or green, then the skier on the new blue Way out will end up on a black (Clair - albeit for a very small portion of the trail)...not an ideal situation at all and as others have eluded to already, the lawyers will certainly not like or allow that.

Where Wayout comes into Clair's is right at the end of Clair's where it flattens out anyway. In fact, if the skier coming out of Wayout hugs the right treeline, he'll hardly notice Clair's Way at all. If the said skier get's up speed and cuts left at the very end of WO, then they can shoot up into Clair's a bit. If they need to, to keep the lawyers happy, they'll most likely change the very bottom of Clair's to a blue or put some divider ( trees?)- either way it won't change much for the skiing experience of Clair's.