• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's Wayout to become an Intermediate Trail

JimG.

Staff member
Will they be regrading the area from where Wayout meets Clair's down to the lift?

If not, it will be entertaining to watch more blue skiers straightlining it to the chair.

BenedictGomez

What's the point of making the effort to turn that into an intermediate trail given it only leads to diamond terrain? I'd imagine this means one of the diamonds on Hunter West is going to be turned into a blue square.

moresnow

Will they be regrading the area from where Wayout meets Clair's down to the lift?

If not, it will be entertaining to watch more blue skiers straightlining it to the chair.

The carnage at the merge should be interesting.

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
There is nothing like Hunter... Every trail is like a raceway. On a weekday it is crazy... I have never dared go on a weekend. I personally have gotten more speed there then anywhere else since it is all you can really do. That is why I love moguls and the woods, much safer then that crap.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

catskillman

I certainly hope so! That area makes me nervous as it is - I am always afraid that someone will fall in front of me, and folks go into the lift line with too much speed. Not to mention that the trail will be full of folks that do not belong on the trail, as the belt is now.

catskillman

What's the point of making the effort to turn that into an intermediate trail given it only leads to diamond terrain? I'd imagine this means one of the diamonds on Hunter West is going to be turned into a blue square.
Way out is considered part of the west side, so yes a diamond is becoming a blue square. this way, all mountains are open to intermediate skiers. There is talk of a new trail also being cut on the west side, but I have not confirmed that with the right person yet.

JimG.

Staff member
They have and continue to ruin the West Side. No more snowmaking on Purna. Incessant grooming on Clair's. 44 open half the time due to wind. That ridiculous run out to the lift. Now turning blacks into blues.

It's usually deserted back there so I guess they're desperate to drive traffic over to the lift. Fact is, the pod is starting to ski like crap so a lot of skiers don't bother.

x10003q

As mentioned, this is an opportunity to get some traffic on the empty West HSQ and some bodies off the main face. It is not that much of a stretch to make Way Out a blue - it had some funkiness, but most blue skiers could handle it before this re-grading and widening. Maybe they will figure a better way to groom it so it won't turn into an ice rink.

BenedictGomez

Way out is considered part of the west side, so yes a diamond is becoming a blue square. this way, all mountains are open to intermediate skiers. There is talk of a new trail also being cut on the west side, but I have not confirmed that with the right person yet.

I know, but that's not what I meant.

What I meant is another trail over at Hunter West is likely to be "blue squared" as well, because there's no point running a blue square (Way out) to a 100% black diamond terrain area. Frankly I dont even think the lawyers would allow it!

kartski

Intermediate Skiers have been making that left hand turn off the Belt to Wayout since it's been there. Skiing appealing to Risk Takers, no way. It would be nice if the regrading did something about the Left Side High, Right Side Low layout of the Trail.

catskillman

I know, but that's not what I meant.

What I meant is another trail over at Hunter West is likely to be "blue squared" as well, because there's no point running a blue square (Way out) to a 100% black diamond terrain area. Frankly I dont even think the lawyers would allow it!
It is no different than the main mountain. There is 1 blue square down from the top, the belt. When they get off the quad the blue skiers choose to the ski the belt down or take wayout again.

catskillman

They have and continue to ruin the West Side. No more snowmaking on Purna. Incessant grooming on Clair's. 44 open half the time due to wind. That ridiculous run out to the lift. Now turning blacks into blues.

It's usually deserted back there so I guess they're desperate to drive traffic over to the lift. Fact is, the pod is starting to ski like crap so a lot of skiers don't bother.

They are making HUGE snowmaking improvements this year!!!! Hellgate is totally torn up for new pipes and there are new guns all over the mountain.

moresnow

It is no different than the main mountain. There is 1 blue square down from the top, the belt. When they get off the quad the blue skiers choose to the ski the belt down or take wayout again.

The skate off the quad will minimize the numbers reskiing Wayout.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Mount Snow's all-diamond North Face has the blue River Run leading to it. Killington's Canyon has the black East Fall leading to all double black.

cdskier

Killington's Canyon has the black East Fall leading to all double black.

I think a black leading to a double black area is a little different than a blue leading to a black area. To me the black/double black ratings are a little more subjective than blue/black ratings. Sugarbush has a number of blacks that I would consider more difficult than some of their doubles.

What's the motivation for Hunter making this change? Were people complaining Way Out shouldn't be considered a black? Or did they want to increase the number of blue trails they have? Or some other explanation?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I think a black leading to a double black area is a little different than a blue leading to a black area. To me the black/double black ratings are a little more subjective than blue/black ratings. Sugarbush has a number of blacks that I would consider more difficult than some of their doubles.

Normally yes, I'd agree... but the Canyon is the steepest part of the mountain. I've seen people slide all the way down Double Dipper.