• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's Wayout to become an Intermediate Trail

deadheadskier

Staff member
Killington's Canyon has the black East Fall leading to all double black.

Um, no it doesn't. Lower East Fall leads right to the chair or Spillway. You don't have to ski double blacks after skiing East Fall, in fact it's not an option at all. Same thing with Royal Flush. Killington is actually pretty good about making sure people don't end up on terrain that might be above their ability level. Spacewalk used to be a Blue Square years ago and is now a Double Black because the only options it leads to are Outer Limits and Devil's Fiddle.

JimG.

Staff member
Intermediate Skiers have been making that left hand turn off the Belt to Wayout since it's been there. Skiing appealing to Risk Takers, no way. It would be nice if the regrading did something about the Left Side High, Right Side Low layout of the Trail.

I think that might require more blasting than regrading.

JimG.

Staff member
They are making HUGE snowmaking improvements this year!!!! Hellgate is totally torn up for new pipes and there are new guns all over the mountain.

The only snowmaking upgrade I would care about is a full time commitment to making snow on Purna.

Rowsdower

Not sure how I feel. I guess it will depend on how it impacts lines on the Z chair. No intermediate skiers are going to suddenly mob Hunter West, so I assume these are just people using the lift to get back to the main face.

What a bunch of whiners. The reason as stated by a few is to increase usage. As everyone as also pointed out, the intermediates have been doing this already off of the Alt the Belt Parkway. As pointed out few will return after having to skate to the quad. Hunter will continue to offer tremendous opportunities to rack up vertical on the west side. I have spent many days alone on 44 with great snow. I do miss Purna. The snow making improvement that is required, is a new pipeline around the backside. Cost is in the millions. Not going to happen. Russ said he had 1 million to spend. Wants to open early. I'll take what I can get.

Attachments

• IMG_20141213_121951.jpg
    IMG_20141213_121951.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 116

steamboat1

the Canyon is the steepest part of the mountain.

attachment.php

Attachments

• o-rly-owl.jpg
    o-rly-owl.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 217

MadMadWorld

I don't know of any mountain that allows a lower rated trail run into a higher rated trail without a way out anymore. Although there are plenty of mountains that have varying degrees of terrain with the same rating....MRG, Smuggs, and Wildcat all have intermediate trails with wall to wall bumps...Cannon and Jay for expert terrain. So really what is the difference?

BenedictGomez

I think a black leading to a double black area is a little different than a blue leading to a black area.

Big time.

No intermediate skiers are going to suddenly mob Hunter West, so I assume these are just people using the lift to get back to the main face.

This is why I'm wondering if they're going to turn one of the blacks over there into an intermediate via widening and/or regrading.

Skier4life

Not to mention that the trail will be full of folks that do not belong on the trail, as the belt is now.
how else are folks supposed to challenge themselves to get better? You take a lesson then the next thing to do is try out what you have learned on more challenging terrain...no?

Skier4life

I think it's great, for one now my wife wont have reason to protest when I suggest we head to Hunter West!

Skier4life

It is no different than the main mountain. There is 1 blue square down from the top, the belt. When they get off the quad the blue skiers choose to the ski the belt down or take wayout again.

I believe you are still missing the point, I believe he meant that there has to be a trail coming off the blue that is at least the same or lower level terrain for people to come off. You can't have an easier trail that leads to a harder trail without the option to abort at a level on par or lower to what you are already on. The main face blue (Belt) you mentioned has the option to either come off on the black (Way Out before the regrade) but also to continue on the blue and trail out on a green (The Battery) - it's the skiers choice if they take the black option but they are not forced to because of the continued blue or green at the end.

If you do not change one of the other black trails on Hunter West (Clair's tail end) to a blue or green, then the skier on the new blue Way out will end up on a black (Clair - albeit for a very small portion of the trail)...not an ideal situation at all and as others have eluded to already, the lawyers will certainly not like or allow that.

catskillman

how else are folks supposed to challenge themselves to get better? You take a lesson then the next thing to do is try out what you have learned on more challenging terrain...no?

Yes - but have you ever skied the belt? There are always folks taking off their skis and walking down, most will likely never ski again. A good portion have not taken a lesson, and you do not take 1 lesson and go to the top on a 2 mile lone blue trail. There are many other available options at Hunter to practice and increase your skill on.

catskillman

I believe you are still missing the point, I believe he meant that there has to be a trail coming off the blue that is at least the same or lower level terrain for people to come off. You can't have an easier trail that leads to a harder trail without the option to abort at a level on par or lower to what you are already on. The main face blue (Belt) you mentioned has the option to either come off on the black (Way Out before the regrade) but also to continue on the blue and trail out on a green (The Battery) - it's the skiers choice if they take the black option but they are not forced to because of the continued blue or green at the end .They can just get off the lift and follow the color coded signs. they do not need to get on a black trail they can just proceed to another blue trail. relax. It is happening and they are not going to make clairs, westway or Annapurna a blue trail.............

If you do not change one of the other black trails on Hunter West (Clair's tail end) to a blue or green, then the skier on the new blue Way out will end up on a black (Clair - albeit for a very small portion of the trail)...not an ideal situation at all and as others have eluded to already, the lawyers will certainly not like or allow that.
they just ride the lift up, read the color coded signs and make a decision like everyone does. RELAX, it is happening and Clairs, Westway and Annapurna will not become blue or black runs.

drewfidelic

I wouldn't be surprised if the blue square Way Out doesn't really ski all that differently from the black diamond Way Out. (I don't think that If this project also involves doing anything to fix the stupid hike up to the quad, it may be a net win. If you don't have to straight-line tuck from where Way Out comes in down to the lift, it's not so tough.

Skier4life

Yes - but have you ever skied the belt? There are always folks taking off their skis and walking down, most will likely never ski again. A good portion have not taken a lesson, and you do not take 1 lesson and go to the top on a 2 mile lone blue trail. There are many other available options at Hunter to practice and increase your skill on.

I did actually (in Utah no less!! HA)

But seriously, I hear you! You mean the sort that ski in jeans from NYC...lol! I was referring to more advanced lessons though (they go all the way up to mogul and racing technique from what I heard). And yeah I've skied it and haven't been back to Hunter since! Got nothing to do with the foot traffic on the trail either...might give it a go this year though!

BenedictGomez

I believe you are still missing the point.......................

Correct.

Hawkshot99

catskills

It is being regraded and made wider as you read this

The new word is passionate. Hunter Mtn is passionate about creating blue trails without making them less steep. Personally I have never seen this done before. Should be interesting to see this next season.

moresnow

The new word is passionate. Hunter Mtn is passionate about creating blue trails without making them less steep. Personally I have never seen this done before. Should be interesting to see this next season.

Huh?

Does this just mean wide steep trails?