• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2015-2016 Ski Areas to visit...

catsup948

If I remain at my new job(tbd) I will have mondays and possibly Tuesday until 3:30 free as I work evenings. My goal is to ski every mountain within two hours of Milton, NH. Some I have skied some I have not.

BenedictGomez

I made progress knocking off some of my "never been to" areas last year, so this year the list is shorter:

1) Mont Sutton
2) Middlebury Ski Bowl

Odds of my actually hitting either of them? Eh.......I'll go with 25% and 10% respectively.

Savemeasammy

If I do the summit this year, I'd like to be able to get in a day at Saddleback. It would depend on whether my wife could get a personal day.

After hiking around Bretton Woods last summer, I'm curious to give it a try for the glades. It's the kind of place I'd be more inclined to try if I could get some sort of deal...

I'd also like to try Whiteface and Gore. I wanted to try last year, but the conditions were much better closer to home.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

That might be one of the most surprising / strangest things I've seen posted on this website.

Why? Ideally I'd like to ski MRG on a weekday, but most of the times am only in the valley weekends. Only been 4 years that I've had the condo so far.

BenedictGomez

I'd also like to try Whiteface and Gore. I wanted to try last year, but the conditions were much better closer to home.

There were times last year when the conditions were better than NH. In general, Whiteface and Gore are all about timing it right, and can both be miserable if you go at the wrong time. But time it right with a last minute 3 day weekend, and you wont be disappointed. Gore has some of the best tree skiing in the east, and Whiteface has the longest runs in the east (IF the summit is open) and Lake Placid nearby.

Savemeasammy

There were times last year when the conditions were better than NH. In general, Whiteface and Gore are all about timing it right, and can both be miserable if you go at the wrong time. But time it right with a last minute 3 day weekend, and you wont be disappointed. Gore has some of the best tree skiing in the east, and Whiteface has the longest runs in the east (IF the summit is open) and Lake Placid nearby.

I guess by "closer", I was mostly referring to vt. It's hard to rationalize passing past such good snow in vt to ski in NY... It's probably akin to you drving through vt to ski in NH! That said, I'd still like to ski gore and WF. Especially when I have the fox 44 card.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Lol... my season will probably be much like my last. 25-35 days teaching at The Ridge. 6-8 days at Mohawk. 5 at Mount Snow. 3 at Stowe. Throw in 1-2 days at Killington, Okemo, Stratton, Jiminy Peak, Butternut, and Catamount.

Last year I got in 48 days. I'm confident I can hit 50 this year, shooting for 60. Hopefully, one day, I can look back at this post and laugh at the years where I had less than a triple digit number of ski days.

steamboat1

I'd like to hit Hickory again with decent snow. Not much out of my way to or from VT. Only problem is they're only open weekends.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I guess by "closer", I was mostly referring to vt. It's hard to rationalize passing past such good snow in vt to ski in NY... It's probably akin to you drving through vt to ski in NH! That said, I'd still like to ski gore and WF. Especially when I have the fox 44 card.

Yes, I suppose you're right about that.

But I definitely think it would be worth it just for Gore's trees (do many places in NH have trees as good as Gore?) and the fact I think you'll be surprised how much vert Whiteface has compared to anyplace in the east. Actually, Gore has more vert than anyplace in NH too (though they're basically equals).

Attachments

• WhitefaceVertChart.jpg
    WhitefaceVertChart.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 72

Domeskier

Lol... my season will probably be much like my last. 25-35 days teaching at The Ridge. 6-8 days at Mohawk. 5 at Mount Snow. 3 at Stowe. Throw in 1-2 days at Killington, Okemo, Stratton, Jiminy Peak, Butternut, and Catamount.

Last year I got in 48 days. I'm confident I can hit 50 this year, shooting for 60. Hopefully, one day, I can look back at this post and laugh at the years where I had less than a triple digit number of ski days.

No Sundown?!?!?!!

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Yes, I suppose you're right about that.

But I definitely think it would be worth it just for Gore's trees (do many places in NH have trees as good as Gore?) and the fact I think you'll be surprised how much vert Whiteface has compared to anyplace in the east. Actually, Gore has more vert than anyplace in NH too (though not as dramatically so).

Yes, but the vert is a little overdone. As an advanced skier, I rarely go all the way down to the base during my day.

Domeskier

One day. I can get to Catamount in the same time it would take to get to Sundown. Catamount>Sundown

But is there double black diamond, fall and perish terrain at Catamount? I think they are equal distance from me. I might have to check it out, but I recently switched my allegiance to Blue Mountain in the Poconos!