1 x 11?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: 1 x 11?

  1. #1

    1 x 11?

    Short story long, the lbs is offering a conversion from my 2 x 10 XT setup to a 1 x 11 XTR (new shifter, dérailleur, chain, front ring) for $450



    The gearing is 32 up front, 42 rear.

    Thoughts? I'm wondering if I'm going to miss the granny gear. There are only a few places I use it. Wondering if the advantages are worth it.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

  2. #2
    I would keep it. The time that you need it you will want it. Just my opinion.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

    SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

  3. #3
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,385
    I went 1x10 this year and love it. 30T up front and 11-36T in the back on a 26" wheel bike, so that would be closer to 28T and 11-36 on a 27.5". There's been very few times that I wished I had a lower gear. A few times I wish I had a higher gear for street sections or whatever, but in the woods around here I haven't had much need. Midway through last season I actually went 1x9, with a 32 up front and 11-32 in the back. I managed just fine with that setup, though I'm not sure how well I would have done if my legs weren't already conditioned. 32x32 isn't exactly an ideal climbing gear, but I survived several longer rides, including 20+ miles. My point is that you probably don't need granny, it's a crutch that's nice to have.

    32x42 will give you a slightly lower gearing than I have with 30x36. You know the climbs we have around here and how they compare with what you normally ride. If I had to do longer sustained climbs I might be wishing for a 2x10, or more likely I'd be looking at adding a 42T in the back. I really hate front derailleurs, so I have no wish to go back to using one.

    That said, I don't think I'd personally pay $450 to go Shimano 1x11. You could get almost the same gearing by adding an extender 42T cog onto your existing 10 speed setup, for a lot cheaper. As much as I'm a Shimano guy, I might feel differently if it were a SRAM 1x11 setup with the 10-42 cassette, at least then you get some extra range.
    Brian

  4. #4
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,385
    Quote Originally Posted by BackLoafRiver View Post
    Short story long, the lbs is offering a conversion from my 2 x 10 XT setup to a 1 x 11 XTR (new shifter, dérailleur, chain, front ring) for $450

    The gearing is 32 up front, 42 rear.

    Thoughts? I'm wondering if I'm going to miss the granny gear. There are only a few places I use it. Wondering if the advantages are worth it.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    What did you end up doing?
    Brian

  5. #5
    Did a little "Frankenstein-ing" and made a cheaper version of the 1 x 11 with the help of the shop.

    Kept the xt arms and mounted to a narrow-wide wolf tooth 32.

    So far, I dig it. A lot. I'm looking to head up to KT once before it shuts down so I can see how it handles on longer climbs.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

  6. #6
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,385
    Quote Originally Posted by BackLoafRiver View Post
    Did a little "Frankenstein-ing" and made a cheaper version of the 1 x 11 with the help of the shop.

    Kept the xt arms and mounted to a narrow-wide wolf tooth 32.

    So far, I dig it. A lot. I'm looking to head up to KT once before it shuts down so I can see how it handles on longer climbs.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Real extended climbs are my one concern with my 1x10 setup. Don't really have any around here, but I want to make it up to KT sometime soon.
    Brian

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    Real extended climbs are my one concern with my 1x10 setup. Don't really have any around here, but I want to make it up to KT sometime soon.
    I'm hoping to go in the next two weeks. Honestly, the only real "climb" is the darling hill road slug to the trailhead and then the trail "coronary". Aside from that, I don't remember using my granny gear at all.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

  8. #8
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,385
    Quote Originally Posted by BackLoafRiver View Post
    I'm hoping to go in the next two weeks. Honestly, the only real "climb" is the darling hill road slug to the trailhead and then the trail "coronary". Aside from that, I don't remember using my granny gear at all.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Having never been I was imagining more sustained climbs. Good to know.

    What do you have for a cassette in the back?
    Brian

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    Having never been I was imagining more sustained climbs. Good to know.

    What do you have for a cassette in the back?

    11- 40

    If the climbing is tough, I will swap it out for a 42 and put a 30 tooth in front. The Wolf's Tooth stuff is fairly inexpensive. I am sure I can find a Race Face as well somewhere. The climbs at Sugarloaf will also be a good gauge for my gearing.

    You should seriously go. The trick, I am sure, is negotiating the family stuff.

  10. #10
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,385
    32x40 on 27.5" will give you about the same gear inches that I had with 30x36 on 26" wheels. There isn't anything down here that I wasn't able to climb because of it, I am more of a masher than a spinner. We have one climb that's close to a mile, but it has some mellow sections, and I was fine with that gearing.

    30x42 should give you a plenty low gear, but you'll loose some top end. I'm a little worried about gearing when I switch to 27.5, if I stick with 30T up front and 11-36T in the rear I'm going to lose some low end. I don't want to go smaller than 30, so if it's a problem I'll probably add an 40 or 42 extender to the rear (or buy one of the Praxis 11-40 10 speed cassettes out on the market now).

    Trust me, I want to go to KT bad! I just haven't been able to make it happen. Breaking my frame didn't help, and has put a damper on my riding in general..
    Brian

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.