• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1 x 11?

SkiingInABlueDream

28T in the current small-ring position is worth considering. That would certainly be a very inexpensive 1x experiment. Still not sure about the chainline on the smaller end of the cassette, but I still don't expect spend much time there anyway.

To mount a bash ring in the big ring spot of my current cranks, I think I would have to have the normally outward facing side of the ring face inward. AFAIK most bash rings are designed to mount to the outward facing mount surfaces of 3x cranks' big rings, but the big ring mount surfaces of my 2x cranks face inward. So assuming the bash ring is about as wide as a chainring, it shouldn't interfere with the chain. Presumably? (But it wouldn't look as sexy as this setup. Click the middle of the 5 pictures. :))

Thanks for the advice and suggestions!

bvibert

Staff member
To mount a bash ring in the big ring spot of my current cranks, I think I would have to have the normally outward facing side of the ring face inward. AFAIK most bash rings are designed to mount to the outward facing mount surfaces of 3x cranks' big rings, but the big ring mount surfaces of my 2x cranks face inward. So assuming the bash ring is about as wide as a chainring, it shouldn't interfere with the chain. Presumably? (But it wouldn't look as sexy as this setup. Click the middle of the 5 pictures. :))

Yes, you're probably right, you'd need to mount the bash backwards. It wouldn't look as good, but it should function just as well. Some bashes are thicker than a standard chainring, so there could be an interference issue. You'd need to find one on the thin side. The best option to minimize risk and, while also being more versatile, would be to get a 3x crank.

BackLoafRiver

BackLoafRiver, you said you kept your current 2x cranks in your 1x conversion. I assume the 32T ring is mounted in the big ring position. Does it shift well into the 40T on the cassette?

I didn't keep my original crank on, just reused the arms and went to a wolf tooth narrow/ wide 32t up front. Shifting has been buttery smooth, or, at least it was when I was last on it a month ago. Fml

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone