• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My ski career MAY be over 😢

Warp Daddy

smiley_sad.gif
Just got word from my orthopedist that i need to have total hip replacement surgery . Have had hip bursitis on and off for damn near 25 yrs .

The last 3 months have been tough the ache has been constant and nothing touches it so had xray done and im now down to Bone on Bone and surgery is now necessary . It is up to me as to when. To schedule it and is based. Solely on my ability to withstand pain . i am not afraid of this after surviving open heart surgery 6 yrs ago and skiing my butt off till now .

BUT iam bummed out about maybe having to give the sport up

Been very physically active all my life as matter of fact the Queen of the Hop and i were treated last week for our 50 th Wedding anniversary with a great week at our original honeymoon resort in the DACKs . Our adult children and all the grandkids treated us to the week and all came for the week and we kayaked the Fulton Chain of Lakes it was awesome

BUT was climbing stairs quite a bit and was in some nasty ache at the beginning of this week . After a couple days rest it was lessened and GO figure shot my best round of golf a 74 this week .

So lately i have been researching various forums on the topis of skiing after toal hip replacement and have found several th:eads citing people who have done so . Their is a STEEL HIP SKIERS Club near Boston founded by a dentist

SO I AM MORE MOTIVATED NOW t!! may do it this fall skip the 2016 season , rehab long and strong and come back in 2017 . When i do come back id be 73 and would have to slow it down and stay on the easy stuff BUT that is a preferable way to go since i absolutely DETEST the idea of giving this great sport up dammit !

drjeff

Warp, if anyone can pull this off with flying colors and probably be back in the slopes (and the links) in BETTER form sooner than expected, its you! BTW nice 74!!

steamboat1

Warp I wouldn't worry to much about it. I know several people who've had total hip replacements & still ski. One being my brother who had it about 6 years ago & at age 60 still skis. Yeah I know he's a young whipper snapper. Another person I know had it around the same time as my brother & is in his mid 80's now & still skis. Not only does he still ski but still skis like a maniac, skied with him a couple of times this past season. One thing I'll add is that all the people I know who had hip replacement surgery are glad they did, relieved not to be in constant pain anymore. You might lose this season but you'll be back out there before you know it.

Last edited:

HowieT2

Good luck and keep the faith. I have a good friend who had both hips replaced and was back on skis within the year.

dlague

I think that the surgery will extend your skiing career not hamper it. My neighbor's brother just went through this last winter (age 64) and has been going through PT much of the summer. He plans on being back out there this season. Wish you the best!

WWF-VT

My ski career MAY be over ��

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Good luck with your surgery

Puck it

You will be able to ski, just can't do crazy. One of these reason why I going to keep my multiple ones off as long as possible. I will be up to the Burg over Labor Day at Houmiel's. I will be visiting myu mom at the United Helpers.

Warp Daddy

Wow !!! Just wow , i am encouraged to hear those success stories of , that is the kind of pump me up that will stoke my spirit to take this PIA on and beat it !!!

Thanks guys , i will DEFINITELY be following all of YOUR skiing exploits this season and live vicariously thru them 😎

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
SO I AM MORE MOTIVATED NOW t!! may do it this fall skip the 2016 season , rehab long and strong and come back in 2017 . When i do come back id be 73 and would have to slow it down and stay on the easy stuff BUT that is a preferable way to go since i absolutely DETEST the idea of giving this great sport up dammit !
:thumbup:

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
First of all, let me add my best wishes for a successful outcome. But having said that, unless both your hips are bad, you don't need two legs to ski. If both hips are bad, there are a variety of Adapative Skiing opportunities available. I hope your hip replacement allows you to ski again on conventional skis, but regardless, your skiing days are only over if you want them to be over.

Tin

So sorry to hear this but given your love for skiing I'm sure you'll be back at it. You got this!

wa-loaf

I know a number of guys skiing on new hips. You're a fit dude and will bounce back in no time!