• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My ski career MAY be over 😢

bigbog

Sorry to hear it Warp...but am somewhat confused,
.....if the condition was getting worse...won't the procedure more or less do a partial reboot...y/n?
I think that the medical establishment has been trying to improve on what steps they've taken so far..y/n? I think there are so many in the same boat that medical improvements will be implemented pretty quickly...y/n? Some meditative positive thinking! ...and everything will go better. Never say Never.

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

Sorry to hear...but am somewhat confused,
.....if the condition was getting worse...won't the procedure more or less do a partial reboot...y/n?

There seems to be a growing body of anecdotal evidence that many have sucessfully skied after total hip replacement

AND one scientific study (albeit with a small n ) that demonstrates that in two groups of hip replacemt surgery patients the group that skied post rehab vs the one that DID NOT ski post rehab , the skiing grouo had better outcomes and fewer negative outcomes ie displcement or dislocations ...........so all this stuff leads me to believe that the mental aspect is the most difficult thing to overcome post rehab ........i think i can handle that

thanks everybody for the positivity , its contagious .... Ill keep u guys posted as i embark on this journey .

u guys r the best !

WD

Warp Daddy

G
attachment.php
our 50 th anniversary at Fourth Lake ,Fulton Chain at The Woods Inn

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 221

Cornhead

I skied with a guy with dual hip replacements at K this Spring. He had to wait for me, granted he was considerably younger than you, but I was impressed. Good luck Warp.

jimk

You guys look like you're celebrating 30th, not 50th. Amazing. Always thought 50th wedding anniversary means a couple WINS the game of life!!!

In late Dec 2013 my son and I skied with a 60 year old guy (Shred) at Aspen Mtn. I spent a lot of time inhaling Shred's snowy rooster tails and found it amazing that he was just ten months removed from total hip replacement surgery. After about 90 minutes he left us to go ski with a buddy at even higher speeds.
Shred in blue, getting ready to rip:
Copy of DSCN0643.jpg
Hard to get in front of Shred:
Copy of DSCN0653.jpg
He led us down a pretty glade of Aspen trees:
Copy (2) of DSCN0668.jpg
I'm sure Shred would give you the thumbs up for a positive outcome from hip surgery:
Copy of DSCN0637.jpg

Warp Daddy

Thanks DHS and JimK. you guys are giving the ole man some serious uplift with your comments !!! i am a pretty positive thinker and as you have obsevered ,i did win at the game of life ,NOT by my actions BUT by the sheer great fortune of marrying a woman who is as beautiful in personality, demeanor and intelligence as her external appearance .

She has been the single greatest influence on my life and has made me a better man .

Dhs you are very kind , i have worked out in the gym religiously for yrs ,but especially so after the open heart. I guess my conditioning at this age is akin to what one of my ski buddies likes to say : Even a BLIND squirrel finds an occasional,acorn ������

Terry

We ski with a lady that has had both hips replaced. She still skis and is having the time of her life! You will do fine just put your mind to it. You will overcome!

Madroch

You got this. Nothing like the call of the mountains to motivate your rehab!

Brad J

I understand your concerns, I was also concerned 4 years ago when I ruptured my quad tendon, but with the wonders of medicine and a lot of PT you will ski as well as today and pain free. I also told my Doctor my intensions before the operation and never asked him what I could do afterwards. Keep the faith and do the PT and you will be just fine

SkiFanE

No way is it the end! Taking care of it soon and having an entire year to heal and get PT sounds like the best plan. Bone on bone scraping sounds like misery. Maybe youll be limited more than you used to - but I have faith you'll be back 2017!!! Go get em warp!

crank

Warp....glass half full...it's way better then a knee replacement!

Curious why knee replacement wis better than hip? I may have both in my future but right now my knees are worse.

Anecdotally, I skied with a guy a couple of season back who was in his 60's and had had a knee replaced. He was a very good skier and we were skiing MRG. He handled everything just fine including the 4 or 5 foot icefall into Paradise.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Curious why knee replacement wis better than hip? I may have both in my future but right now my knees are worse.

Anecdotally, I skied with a guy a couple of season back who was in his 60's and had had a knee replaced. He was a very good skier and we were skiing MRG. He handled everything just fine including the 4 or 5 foot icefall into Paradise.

The knee replacement has a much more painful recovery and physical therapy process. Once that's all done there both fantastic.

jimk

You're talking about MARCUS!
He's now pushing age 70 and from Western PA where he managed a ski shop for a few years. Skied with him a number of times since his TKR in 2009.
He needs the other knee done, but with a few pain killers in him he can still bring it on the slopes.:spread:

Here he is in red helmet on Paradise the day we skied it with him. Are you the guy on left in group of three below?
LL

He absolutely loved MRG and skied under the single chair, here with my son:
LL

Here he is on same trip, at Stowe this time:
LL

Very smooth bump skiing at Sugarbush, my pictures don't do him justice:
LL

This is a fun thread. I got lots of pictures of old, gimpy guys still at it:thumbup:

crank

Hi Jim, Yes I was talking about Marcus. Glad to hear he is still skiing! Yes that is me on the left overlooking that little drop on Paradise.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So let me get this straight, you both randomly met this guy Marcus while skiing or is it a mutual friend?

crank

It was an Epicski gathering and Marcus came with Jim.