• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My ski career MAY be over 😢

Dickc

ST,

My condolences. We had that awful duty in November of 2007 and I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a very hard thing to take that flag and all that it stood for. I know you are proud of him and damn well should be. I'm sure he IS proud of you and will ski vicariously through your eyes from heaven.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Warpo Man,

I ski with a fella at Stowe who has had both hips replaced. Twice. And he still skis the blues at Stowe. Not as fast as he used to, but still better than 50% of the people out there. Still gets to the top every days he's there.

Warp Daddy

Okay small thing for most but for me it was a great feeling . bEcause of the open heart surgery 6 yrs ago i had to do a echo stress test to check the heart before surgery . tHe last time i did this on a tread mill and had great results BUT this time due to the hip pain they auggested a chemical induced stress test . Never one to want to give up control and preferring the tread mill test since it was active rather than passive , i was nervous .

Good news the heart is great , no blockages at all, strong oxy and bp levels , hit and sustained the target heart rate with zero issues SO it was a huge relief to know that the heart after six and half yrs is still very strong ......thanks to being a gym rat and the cardio necessary for skiing .. Next step .....surgery on the 12 th ..

BTW my surgeon who has done these for several decades with very strong outcomes and being a skier totally GETS that I am planning to be back at it next season . He also said i will let you drive whenever you feel ready .....BRING IT.
smiley_good.gif

Puck it

Okay small thing for most but for me it was a great feeling . bEcause of the open heart surgery 6 yrs ago i had to do a echo stress test to check the heart before surgery . tHe last time i did this on a tread mill and had great results BUT this time due to the hip pain they auggested a chemical induced stress test . Never one to want to give up control and preferring the tread mill test since it was active rather than passive , i was nervous .

Good news the heart is great , no blockages at all, strong oxy and bp levels , hit and sustained the target heart rate with zero issues SO it was a huge relief to know that the heart after six and half yrs is still very strong ......thanks to being a gym rat and the cardio necessary for skiing .. Next step .....surgery on the 12 th ..

BTW my surgeon who has done these for several decades with very strong outcomes and being a skier totally GETS that I am planning to be back at it next season . He also said i will let you drive whenever you feel ready .....BRING IT.
smiley_good.gif
Are you going to Saranac/Lake PLacid for it?

Warp Daddy

Nope right here at Claxton Hepburn Medical Center .

we recruited a great ortho with 3 decades experieced , practiced in Florida for yrs .

this doc has very strong outcomes . As a board of directors member i helped recruit him.My reg doc and cardiologist and the ceo have both said if they or anyone in their family needed it done ,HE is THEIR guy .

I have a skiing friend who have had BOTH HIPS done by the guy and isvery satisfied . Another former doc who is now in Atlanta said this guy is a gem one of the best he has see and he had this guy operate on the Atlanta docs wife when they were up on The River during the summer .

That said if i were to go out of town id go to Saranac

Warp Daddy

Puck to be clear the dr does not reccommend downhill skiing after surgery for newbies or beginners BUT if one is an experienced and skilled skier he advises caution and control .He himself is a skier and GETS it that i will return and so he is reassuring

Puck it

Nice. If you were having it down in Saranac. The ortho there was one of my best friends. Smitty's son.

steamboat1

Good luck Warp. My mother just had a hip replaced for the second time this past Fri. Also major work on her femur bone on the same leg, second time also. She won't be skiing again anytime soon though being she's 86 and arthritic. She's in great spirits though.

drjeff

Good news for you there Warp! And make sure your Doc not only uses the hip that will once again have you ripping down the slopes, but also that kind that gets you an extra 5 yards off the tee! ;)