• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lift Line Etiquette

Savemeasammy

Just because someone is skiing alone on a given day, it doesn't entitle them to to corner the market on short lift lines. That just doesn't make any sense....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

That being said, I do have a SERIOUS problem with single-line skiers who insist on riding as a group when they get to the chair. They are just gaming the system and engaging in a "me first at all times" attitude.

That's where the lifties need to step in. If they are properly managing the line, that simply doesn't happen because they are calling x number of singles out of the single line to fill empty spots in the main line.

Domeskier

On more than one occasion, I've gotten a chair to myself using the singles line. Because the group I've joined doesn't like my looks or something and hangs back for the next chair. I must say it's a little insulting!

dlague

If the lift line is a free market, then the following is at work:

1) Most skiers skiing as a group value staying as a group more than trimming a few minutes off of their wait for the lift.

2) Some group-skiers don't place more value in a shorter wait than they do staying in a group.

3) Single skiers have shorter waits since there is no incentive for group-skiers to enter the single line if there is no time savings.

IMHO everyone is getting what they want. It's just that different skiers want different things. And even if group-skiers enter the singles line, single skiers are still waiting less to board a chair than the majority of group skiers.

BG seems to be forgetting that group-skiers who enter the single line are giving something up (staying as a group) for the privilege of doing so. That's a very important factor in the equation.

I don't necessarily see it as a "me first" action. I see it more as a "which benefit do I value the most" action.

That being said, I do have a SERIOUS problem with single-line skiers who insist on riding as a group when they get to the chair. They are just gaming the system and engaging in a "me first at all times" attitude.

Agreed!

4) There are groups that do not value riding up together and value shorter lift lines to get 2-3 more runs in per day.

More power to them! That is not gaming the system, it is like VTK points out -
group-skiers who enter the single line are giving something up (staying as a group)

My wife and I were skiing at Attitash and skied over to the Bear Peak side only to find a huge line. The singles line was relatively short so we got in that line. We both went up on different chairs saved a boat load of time and had interesting stories to share about the people we met. THAT - is not gaming the system. 9 times out of ten we will ride up together but every now and then the singles line is used.

JimG.

Staff member
ss20 said it before...if anyone has any issues with lift line etiquette anywhere in the US then they need to spend a month skiing in Europe.

European skiers act like animals on line. Literally disgusting behavior!

I have never heard of anyone having an issue with a group splitting up to ride single, until now.

drjeff

If a group uses the singles line as a way to shorten wait times, then don't expect to ride up as a group. If the need of those that waited through the main queue line is such that you get to ride with your group, or at least some of your group, that utilized the singles line, then great, if not, don't be an a$$ about it!

The part that gets me the most about singles line "abusers" who insist as riding as a group is actually couples and even a solo parent with a kid. If you want to ensure that you'll ride together, then wait in the regular queue lane together

deadheadskier

Staff member
ss20 said it before...if anyone has any issues with lift line etiquette anywhere in the US then they need to spend a month skiing in Europe.

European skiers act like animals on line. Literally disgusting behavior!

I have never heard of anyone having an issue with a group splitting up to ride single, until now.

Agreed on Europe. Learning to plant your pole in front of someone else's ski to prevent them from cutting in front of you is a requisite skill.

First time I have ever heard about this "majority belief" of BGs as well.

We started using the singles line during peak times when I was a little kid mainly because my mother and I would freeze are asses off waiting in the long lines at Okemo and Killington. I guess according to BG my mom qualifies as a low life azzhole. :lol:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Me neither! Thought it was normal!

The real issue - people leaving their skis on the ground!

attachment.php
Pet peeve #132

Domeskier

Lets add to the bitchfest smokers in the lift line, and single riders who smoke on the chair.

And let's not forget people who block the entrance to the line while waiting for friends or snowboarders who insist on slapping their boards on the ground to remove snow that would otherwise rust the plastic presumably.

farlep99

I can vouch for the chaos of lift lines in Europe.

I don't think we can generalize "Europe" on this. France, yes - Italy, definitely yes.

I've found that Austria & Switzerland are generally pretty orderly; unless there's a bunch of French or Italian skiers online.

To really experience the difference, compare Zermatt & Cervinia in the same day. Lift line etiquette is Night & Day. As are the bathroom facilities

JimG.

Staff member
I don't think we can generalize "Europe" on this. France, yes - Italy, definitely yes.

I've found that Austria & Switzerland are generally pretty orderly; unless there's a bunch of French or Italian skiers online.

To really experience the difference, compare Zermatt & Cervinia in the same day. Lift line etiquette is Night & Day. As are the bathroom facilities

My mom was Swiss...we skied in Switzerland frequently. In my experiences the worst behavior came from Austrians and Germans. Entitled SOB's for the most part. Not at all orderly.

VTKilarney

Where were you skiing? Cranmore in North Conway? I agree with Jim G. The Germans were among the worst of the bunch. They didn't pretend otherwise either.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Lets add to the bitchfest smokers in the lift line, and single riders who smoke on the chair.

Funny story about that. I was at Mount Snow on the bubble chair. 5 kids in their 20s and me on the end. One asks "Hey, you mind if I smoke?". I said sure, whatever, I'm wayyyyyyy outnumbered. I can stand the smell of cigarettes for a seven minute ride. I heard the click of the lighter and smelled marijuana. Absolutely horrible to smell in such a confined space. I was smelling wiffs of the funny stuff for a solid week. Sucked.