• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smugglers Notch lift opinions

raisingarizona

People can talk about it all they want but do we really need a map with lines on it? Give me a break. I offered to fill the guy in on the location of things if he took down the map. I think that's fair.

There is no marking of "lines" on the map. I don't want to step on anyones toes or sell out anyones stashes I'm just not going to take it down now on principle. I didn't mark anything to show local lines, it was just a goofy idea because I thought that robins looked really short and there was so much more fall line below it so I made a suggestion to continue the trail. so it didn't mark anything and then you write on the internet that there is a secret stash already there and ask me to pull my picture down because I'm the one telling people about it? Huh? What? Did I miss something because right now I feel confused.

MadMadWorld

There is no marking of "lines" on the map. I don't want to step on anyones toes or sell out anyones stashes I'm just not going to take it down now on principle. I didn't mark anything to show local lines, it was just a goofy idea because I thought that robins looked really short and there was so much more fall line below it so I made a suggestion to continue the trail. so it didn't mark anything and then you write on the internet that there is a secret stash already there and ask me to pull my picture down because I'm the one telling people about it? Huh? What? Did I miss something because right now I feel confused.

Does anyone else not see lines on this map?

MadMadWorld

And that's why I didn't give the guy a hard time at first and even offered to share information. But there it is for everyone...don't want to hear about it when someone gets cliffed out and loses their skis.....I'm not helping in the search

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
View attachment 17373I also added a run to connect Morse and an extension off of Robins. I thought it would be sick if Robins ran that whole section, it would get my vote for one of the gnarliest trails in the east.

I think your map is good but I would take it offline since one of those locations is maintained and thinned out already. I can fill you in by PM if you want.

Well the spot below drifter is very well known and was almost added to the trail map so whatever. I take offense to a new guy coming in and not giving two shits.

seriously.jpg

MadMadWorld

Exactly! He drew a trail! He never said it was a stash! That was brought up after the fact! And I thought I was the only one who noticed that. This thread is almost as nonsensical as the Sugarloaf Snubber HSQ thread.

And this was my original response:

"The problem with Robin's is its exposure along with the fact that it is pretty much all ledge. Best time to hit it is after a storm or in the spring. I think your map is good but I would take it offline since one of those locations is maintained and thinned out already. I can fill you in by PM if you want."

What is rude about that? I will ski off all a y'all gaper clowns as I channel my inner highwaystar

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, I'm all for sharing information in private. Loosely discussing it in public is fine too. I'll show pictures of terrain in trip reports, but not discuss how to get there.

Trail maps?

yeah no

except for Killington. Feel Free to make 3D topo maps with GPS coordinates

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
View attachment 17373

It looks like you could knock off at least a third of it on Google Earth. That's a lot of sitting time and extra skiing on the flatter terrain that it sounds like a lot would prefer to skip. We sort of have something similar here at the Snowbowl. I'm not a fan of our top to bottom lift and I wish we had an upper mountain chair and the current chair stopped at midway. It would help on wind hold days and it would better separate the different terrain.

I also added a run to connect Morse and an extension off of Robins. I thought it would be sick if Robins ran that whole section, it would get my vote for one of the gnarliest trails in the east.

Also, I didn't realize this before but you could ski everything off the top and get back to the M1 chair.

And this was my original response:

"The problem with Robin's is its exposure along with the fact that it is pretty much all ledge. Best time to hit it is after a storm or in the spring. I think your map is good but I would take it offline since one of those locations is maintained and thinned out already. I can fill you in by PM if you want."

What is rude about that? I will ski off all a y'all gaper clowns as I channel my inner highwaystar

That's the first mention of a stash in that location in this thread. You brought it up and then berated the OP because of that map. No one would've know there was a stash there if you hadn't said anything!!!

BenedictGomez

Why not that type of dialog is always good entertainment. I will go look up some youtube videos and search stuff on Google Earth. Funny thing - I am actually thinking of following tracks into unmarked glades, video taping them and posting them on AZ. It is not like people cannot see tracks going into secret stashes. Many of those young bark eaters follow tracks all the time - my kids did and still do.

My opinion on this subject is well-known given how often it comes up, but it boils down to this:

Your secret stash is not a secret.

There's no empirical way to know for certain, but I'm pretty sure only about 2% of "secret stashes" are actually (somewhat) secret.

Ironically enough, I actually do know of one at Smuggler's Notch. Powder day + 2, and no tracks. Now THAT qualifies as a secret stash.

The downside? It's an absolute *&$^# to enter, which I suspect is the hallmark of all legitimate secret stashes.

MadMadWorld

No one is saying any of the spots are a secret as I mentioned in one of my posts. But as DHS mentioned, do we need a map? It was an accident and that is how I addressed it. And folks clearly are having a difficult time wrapping their head around the fact that I offered to provide details in private. Just was hoping the map would be taken down.

raisingarizona

Shortened M1 lift idea. I tried to remove the other photo for you but I can't figure out how to do that. Hopefully the mods will help me out with that. Happy? You win the internets today.

IMG_0748.jpg

VTKilarney

I haven't skied Smuggs in years, and I had no knowledge of any secret stashes. I looked at the map. It depicted a couple of proposed trails and that is all. Not for one single second did I think that it was useful to find a secret stash. The ONLY time that thought entered my head was when MadMadWorld TOLD me that it did.

If you want to talk about who spilled the beans, at least be honest.

And I agree with BG: The overwhelming likelihood is that your stash is not secret. This one especially sounds like it is not even close to being secret.

MadMadWorld

I haven't skied Smuggs in years, and I had no knowledge of any secret stashes. I looked at the map. It depicted a couple of proposed trails and that is all. Not for one single second did I think that it was useful to find a secret stash. The ONLY time that thought entered my head was when MadMadWorld TOLD me that it did.

If you want to talk about who spilled the beans, at least be honest.

And I agree with BG: The overwhelming likelihood is that your stash is not secret. This one especially sounds like it is not even close to being secret.

Seriously....??? Your lack of reading comprehension gives me a migraine. When you take a second to read through the thread let me know. Until then, go back to your political discussions.

VTKilarney

Seriously....??? Your lack of reading comprehension gives me a migraine. When you take a second to read through the thread let me know. Until then, go back to your political discussions.
Someday you'll have to tell me what it is like to be infallible.

In all seriousness, I went back and re-read the thread in order to give you the benefit of the doubt. My opinion is stronger than it ever was. You are the one who spilled the beans.

If you have evidence to the contrary, then point it out. Seriously. I'm not afraid of actual evidence. But in the meantime you need something more than, "You're stupid!" I'd like to think that you have the capacity to make an actual argument, but I'm starting to wonder.