• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smugglers Notch lift opinions

cdskier

I haven't skied Smuggs in years, and I had no knowledge of any secret stashes. I looked at the map. It depicted a couple of proposed trails and that is all. Not for one single second did I think that it was useful to find a secret stash. The ONLY time that thought entered my head was when MadMadWorld TOLD me that it did.

If you want to talk about who spilled the beans, at least be honest.

And I agree with BG: The overwhelming likelihood is that your stash is not secret. This one especially sounds like it is not even close to being secret.

My interpretation when I first read this thread and saw that picture was exactly the same as this. Maybe I should start posting maps of Sugarbush with random trail ideas to see if anyone complains so I can then know exactly where the "secrets" are! :daffy:

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Given the length of the FG chairs at Smugglers', I wonder if someone could comment on the ride up on a cold and windy January day. The days I've skied there were March and later, so I was neither fighting the crowd, nor the cold.

MadMadWorld

Someday you'll have to tell me what it is like to be infallible.

In all seriousness, I went back and re-read the thread in order to give you the benefit of the doubt. My opinion is stronger than it ever was. You are the one who spilled the beans.

If you have evidence to the contrary, then point it out. Seriously. I'm not afraid of actual evidence. But in the meantime you need something more than, "You're stupid!" I'd like to think that you have the capacity to make an actual argument, but I'm starting to wonder.

I went back and rethought my preconceived notions of folks from VT to give you the benefit of the doubt but my opinion is stronger than ever......

Ski off?????

MadMadWorld

My interpretation when I first read this thread and saw that picture was exactly the same as this. Maybe I should start posting maps of Sugarbush with random trail ideas to see if anyone complains so I can then know exactly where the "secrets" are! :daffy:

What is VTKILARNEY's home mountain....Burke or Jay? I don't know shit about Burke but I could venture a few guesses.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Given the length of the FG chairs at Smugglers', I wonder if someone could comment on the ride up on a cold and windy January day. The days I've skied there were March and later, so I was neither fighting the crowd, nor the cold.

It can be brutal for sure. I think a bigger problem than the lifts on such days is the lodge. It can get a wee bit cozy on those days.

In fact, prior to lift improvements, I'd suggest an expanded Madonna lodge is needed to improve the overall skiing experience.

VTKilarney

I went back and rethought my preconceived notions of folks from VT to give you the benefit of the doubt but my opinion is stronger than ever......

Ski off?????

I asked for a fact and you still can't come with a single one to support your ludicrous claim. Nuff said.

MadMadWorld

I asked for a fact and you still can't come with a single one to support your ludicrous claim. Nuff said.

You are completing missing the point so I'll try and dumb it down to your level. Said map was added describing a great place for additional terrain. My intention was to prevent random lurkers from seeing the map and doing exploring in that area. What you can't seem to grasp is the fact that I was never trying to keep it a secret from folks on this board. Which is why I offered to take the discussion off the thread. Every person on this board who has skied with me can attest to the fact that I enjoy showing people around and sharing my knowledge so GTFOOH!

VTKilarney

You are completing missing the point so I'll try and dumb it down to your level. Said map was added describing a great place for additional terrain. My intention was to prevent random lurkers from seeing the map and doing exploring in that area. What you can't seem to grasp is the fact that I was never trying to keep it a secret from folks on this board. Which is why I offered to take the discussion off the thread. Every person on this board who has skied with me can attest to the fact that I enjoy showing people around and sharing my knowledge so GTFOOH!

Ahh... Your explanation makes perfect sense. You were afraid that random people looking at a map of a proposed trail would see it as something it wasn't advertised as - a route marker to stashes. So to avoid those random people associating the map with stashes, you announced that the map showed stashes.

Thanks for the clarification. If that was indeed your point I can see now why it was lost on me. 😳

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Ahh... Your explanation makes perfect sense. You were afraid that random people looking at a map of a proposed trail would see it as something it wasn't advertised as - a route marker to stashes. So to avoid those random people associating the map with stashes, you announced that the map showed stashes.

Thanks for the clarification. If that was indeed your point I can see now why it was last on me. ��

:lol:

MadMadWorld

Thanks for the clarification. If that was indeed your point I can see now why it was lost on me. 😳

You silly Italians

Brad J

I have only been to Smuggs once and that was last year. It was in March after a freeze thaw so mostly very firm which wasn't Ideal, but the doubles and the old lodge add to the charm of the place not a negative IMO. When you put a high speed lift in with additional capacity you are going to ruin a lot of the skiing experience. I know people that grew up there and go there regularly and the never talk about the lifts, all they talk about is the skiing experience ,woods mostly. If you want something different you have few choices, and Smuggs is different with a good vibe.

MadMadWorld

I have only been to Smuggs once and that was last year. It was in March after a freeze thaw so mostly very firm which wasn't Ideal, but the doubles and the old lodge add to the charm of the place not a negative IMO. When you put a high speed lift in with additional capacity you are going to ruin a lot of the skiing experience. I know people that grew up there and go there regularly and the never talk about the lifts, all they talk about is the skiing experience ,woods mostly. If you want something different you have few choices, and Smuggs is different with a good vibe.

Exactly

BenedictGomez

Your explanation makes perfect sense. You were afraid that random people looking at a map of a proposed trail would see it as something it wasn't advertised as - a route marker to stashes. So to avoid those random people associating the map with stashes, you announced that the map showed stashes.