• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smart Helmet and Goggle Discussion

dlague

I think there has been a lot of movement in integrating technology into head gear. Forcite Alpine is a great example of a helmet that is fully loaded - check it out! Zeal Optics is a great example of goggles that are fully loaded which I will post right after this! Like to see what others find! The videos are pretty cool too.

http://www.forcite.com.au/#/home/features

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
Great! Now we can add people mesmerized by the inside of their goggles to the other buttheads to worry about skiing into others.

Hey dlague,

Aaron from Forcite here, thanks a lot for the post! Much appreciated!

Our smart helmet is now available on Kickstarter too for pre-ordering! Search for us on there to get $150 off RRP and a year worth of product insurance for free on us! :D

Any questions, you can ask me here or email me at a.stathi@forcite.com.au, your support would be greatly appreciated to help us get this off the ground and reach our goal to make these for you all.

BenedictGomez

Great! Now we can add people mesmerized by the inside of their goggles to the other buttheads to worry about skiing into others.

I feel like the world has transcended into a place where we add technology just for technology sake.

dlague

While this is designed as a motorcycle helmet I would not be surprised to see something like this in skiing someday with integrated brake light and turn signals controlled by bluetooth enables poles! hahaha

rocojerry

taking pictures without taking off gloves I can get onboard with, the rest, i'd rather keep on the reporting side at the end of the day...

Rowsdower

What um... what good is a gps in your helmet, really?

I can't see it being useful in bounds, and I can't see guys well versed in backcountry skiing needing anything like this either. You already have the same tech in your phone. Is it really that inconvenient to find a safe spot to stop at, and check your device there. Better yet, check it in the lodge. I don't even want to check my email or text when I'm on the mountain, that's sort of the whole point of getting away, you know?

Then again, people said the same thing about the iPhone and iPad and now here we are...

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
What um... what good is a gps in your helmet, really?

I can't see it being useful in bounds, and I can't see guys well versed in backcountry skiing needing anything like this either. You already have the same tech in your phone. Is it really that inconvenient to find a safe spot to stop at, and check your device there. Better yet, check it in the lodge. I don't even want to check my email or text when I'm on the mountain, that's sort of the whole point of getting away, you know?

Then again, people said the same thing about the iPhone and iPad and now here we are...

Is it true GPS or cell tower tech?

A useful thing I can imagine is if it had some type of collision avoidance system ,everyone else would have to be wearing some type of transmitter . Rfid card with a transmitter?
It might be easier for ski patrol to sweep the mountain at night ? One of my Camelback Patroller friends found a guy out cold 50' in the woods on a sweep.
As far as HUD it has to be distracting.

VTKilarney

The only problem with a phone is that at very cold temperatures the battery pretty much useless. But do these helmets make any sense? No. I agree that it is technology just for the sake of technology.

skiNEwhere

I feel like the world has transcended into a place where we add technology just for technology sake.

+1

I think we had just about the right amount of technology in the early to mid 2000's, around the time when broadband connections had phased out dial-up.

Probably kind of ironic of me to say seeing as I deploy VoIP solutions for a living. But I think there was just about the right amount of balance.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com

As the world becomes more removed from basic human experience, that experience it becomes more valuable.

I make simple ceramic forms, plates, cups etc. This was the basic fare of life 100 years ago. Now it is prized, because it is handmade.

This is normal. And the pendulum will swing back.