• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Paddling for Pops

Cornhead

Thanks for the intel bigbog. When I bought the boat I also bought a bent shaft paddle made by Al Camp, a local racer. It was a thing of beauty, light too. He sold his company to a Grumman Canoe employee. Grumman is located in Marathon NY, just down the road from Greek Peak.http://www.foxworxpaddle.com/about_us.html

I think that's what I noticed most about the Carlisle paddle, it is HEAVY. It gets old fast. After paddling my boat with a Kayak paddle for the last 4 yrs, I'm sold. I found it very uncomfortable paddling on the left side with my bad shoulder too, much easier with the Kayak paddle. Sometimes my left shoulder is kinky when I start out, but usually smooths out as I paddle.

My plan is to attempt to glue my paddle and bring the canoe paddle as a backup in case of catastrophic failure. Probably get a new Kayak paddle for next season.

Cornhead

Ran across this, some guy got the blueprints for my boat, Sawyer DY Special, built it himself, Cedar strips, Mahogany trim, gorgeous, only 31lbs. My factory glass version is 45lbs.

Attachments

• 1443621202953.jpg
    1443621202953.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 36
  • 1443621230675.jpg
    1443621230675.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 1443621251433.jpg
    1443621251433.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Cornhead

My Dad's journey ended today at 12:15 PM. He fought the good fight, but Father Time is undefeated. He died in his bed at home, so grateful for that. My Mom brought him home Friday night, more than enough of hospitals and nursing homes lately. It took it's toll on her. He spent his last days surrounded by his family, including cats and dog. Grateful I was able to show him how much I loved him before he passed.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sorry for your loss. It's been a pleasure to read about your tightening bond during his twilight. May your dad fly high and rest in peace.

Cornhead

Thanks guys, I don't think I'll ever dip a paddle in the water again without remembering the trips I made to be by his side. So happy he's finally at peace. Now I must comfort Mom. She's lost two adult children, but said that pales to losing her partner of 64 years. I understand, like losing half of yourself. I told her I believe they'll be reunited some day, hopefully not too soon. Couldn't ask for better parents, don't know why we kids are so f'd up? Hopefully it skips a generation, for my Son's sake.

Warp Daddy

So sorry to hear that CH ! You were a great son when it counted my friend . What you did for your dad will sustain both you and your mom . Your father will live forever in you , his legacy is intact and you have modeled th kind,of end of life behavior many can only hope to attain . You and yours are in our thoughts and prayers

it is coincidental we have friends one just passed at 94 two weeks ago and his wife of 90 passed last nite. .They had 70 yrs of married life and the separation was sImply untenable for her . The human spirit is magnificent and love like theirs and your parents is the greatest. Gift

peace .
w

Cornhead

Thanks Warp, glad your rehab is going much better. Of course you are a Spring chicken compared to my Dad. More importantly, an active Spring chicken. A guy I work with said his Son's doctor did his Son's knee surgery out of the hospital because of the high risk of infection there. I believe it, it was infections that did my Dad in. The fluid build up, congestive heart failure, kidney damage due to the strong dietetics, was a cascade of falling dominos, but hey, 92 yrs is quite a run. I'm pretty sure I won't sniff 90, life in the fast lane, that and working with solvents, my liver is probably 90 now!

Scruffy

So sorry to hear about your loss CornHead, may he truly rest in peace. I've been reading this thread as your journey unfolded this year and it warmed my heart. Glad you had the time with him.

Cornhead

Thanks Scruffy, I feel pretty damn good about making the effort to reconnect with him these last 4 months. No regrets, I did all I could, I know he appreciated it.

Cornhead

Thanks bigbog, Mom opened his strong box today, found some cool shit. His discharge papers from the Army Air Corps in 1946, he was an airplane mechanic stateside during the War, except for one mission delivering a plane, "Over the hump". He joked that made him a combat vet, which technically it did. He said they all fell asleep, pilot included, and wound up off course when they awoke. I guess autopilots were pretty crude back then.

Anniversary pins from Singer-Link, along with a cool F117 Stealth Fighter pin. The stealths were his last projects. I came home with pictures of the SR71 Blackbird from the Intrepid in NYC. I showed Dad, all excited, " Dad, check it out, I saw the Blackbird up close and personal! " To which he replied, "I was offered a ride on it, I turned it down." Talk about a bubble burst. And how the F could you turn that E ticket ride down? He lead a pretty incredible life, kudos Dad.

Attachments

• 1448505271614.jpg
    1448505271614.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 1448505286509.jpg
    1448505286509.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 1448505304748.jpg
    1448505304748.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 21

Rambo

Bob, here is the photo of Pat R. at Greek Peak back at the end of Oct.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 102515patreardon.jpg
    102515patreardon.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 31