Paddling for Pops - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sullivan County up on the Walnuts mtn 2000 high elevation
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    Very low levels up here too but am beginning to get some rain but we still need more.
    We need rain. Water falls famously by hunter Katerskills non falls last weekend when I and Jim rode by the place in way to hiking off Windham high peaks and on read dead end road that goes for miles on in valley of Mountains road in Greene County. Cornhead as you know I glad your having this time with your dad good luck with everything life is so precious due what you love with who you love so happy to see your family understand s this love.

Last edited by ScottySkis; Sep 12, 2015 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks Scotty, yeah I bet the falls in Ithaca are dried up too, I haven't been in awhile, time to get my knee looked at, ski season is approaching, thank God for paddling, that only involves my bad shoulder. Getting old, it ain't for pussies.
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Sullivan County up on the Walnuts mtn 2000 high elevation
    How your dad

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    Thanks Scotty, yeah I bet the falls in Ithaca are dried up too, I haven't been in awhile, time to get my knee looked at, ski season is approaching, thank God for paddling, that only involves my bad shoulder. Getting old, it ain't for pussies.
    As the years in our paddling increase...using(twisting) our spine and abdomen/back muscles helps our shoulders immensely....
    But that takes the place of going to the paid place of exercise.. ..where social contact often occurs...

Granddady (steve).....(not a true granddad)
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    As the years in our paddling increase...using(twisting) our spine and abdomen/back muscles helps our shoulders immensely....
    But that takes the place of going to the paid place of exercise.. ..where social contact often occurs...

Granddady (steve).....(not a true granddad)
    Doing both today, paddling to the paid place of exercise, going to swim about a mile while there. As far as social interaction, I expect to interact with other saggy, naked old men in the locker and steam room, and hopefully a perky coed lifeguarding at the pool. It'll be a dude though, hopefully I'll be surprised, having some scenery makes the swim go by much faster. Yes, I am a dirty old man, guilty as charged.
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    Doing both today, paddling to the paid place of exercise, going to swim about a mile while there. As far as social interaction, I expect to interact with other saggy, naked old men in the locker and steam room, and hopefully a perky coed lifeguarding at the pool. It'll be a dude though, hopefully I'll be surprised, having some scenery makes the swim go by much faster. Yes, I am a dirty old man, guilty as charged.
    You're not that old. Dirty......perhaps. .

Well, I never made it to the Y. I locked up my boat and started walking towards the low spot in the floodwall. As I walked along, I noticed a squatter camped about 100ft from where I left my boat. I toured the Confluence Park, aka Policemen's & Firemen's Park. I knew if I carried on to the Y, I'd be worried about my boat the whole time. Where a homeless person would take a canoe with no paddle I don't know. Scotty had a good suggestion, offer him some herb to keep an /eye on it. I know where he lives.

Speaking of paddles, my trusty Carlisle fiberglass Kayak paddle gave up the ghost after 4 yrs and hundreds of miles of paddling. The support behind my right blade has cracked in half. I don't know if was a result of all the times I've pushed off the bottom with it, or when broken down using it as a cane on occasion. That is when I noticed it bending quite a bit. It could just be the immense force I put into my strokes. Or, maybe just trying to propel my fat ass through the water. The other blade has a line on it in the same spot, but is still solid. I'm going to let it dry and try gluing it. Any suggestions? It is still operable, for now.

It has been an awesome paddle. I would buy another as a replacement. Maybe I'll try not to use the new one for anything but paddling, couldn't hurt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Plan B, I'll be paddling my canoe tomorrow with, of all things, a canoe paddle. Another Carlisle product, a wooden beaver tail paddle I bought when I picked up canoeing again following a tweak of my bad, now good, knee. It too is a nice paddle, feels good in your hands. I think it weighs quite a bit more than the glass Kayak paddle. Probably a more appropriate tool for pushing off the bottom. J stroke here I come. I think the Kayak paddle is much better for the very shallow conditions we have now. With the Kayak paddle you can skim close to the surface. I won't be able to do that with the canoe paddle, but like I said, I'll be able to push off the bottom in the very shallow spots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cornhead; Sep 27, 2015 at 9:02 AM.
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Waaa, I miss my paddle already, a mile from finishing an 8 mile paddle with the canoe paddle. Anyone who owns a solo canoe and isn't paddling it wit a Kayak paddle is missing the boat! A lot slower, and a lot more work, less control too. A Kayak paddle is just a far superior tool for the job.
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Items for Sale
    Check up on RedTail paddles(laminated) and Grey Owl paddles(1-piece) Cornhead...and Shaw and Tenney makes the best lengthy, flatter grips that make J-ing just a thought = no effort needed.....HA!..bet you'll never buy that! (Neither do any of my kayak friends...wtf?).
    There's a single-guy paddlemaker up in Quebec, that makes ww canoe(OC-1) and touring paddles with strong but light, thin blades...but needs to incorporate Shaw & Tenney's grips, have forgotten his name...LOL. Think the control-thing is just from us developing our repertoire with the particular paddle.
    Last edited by bigbog; Sep 29, 2015 at 4:00 AM.
    SteveD

Thread Information