• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Wonk Weather for Weanies - don't miss the conference

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
[FONT=helvetica,arial][SIZE=-1]Southern New England Weather Conference
Saturday October 24, 2015, $89
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Your registration fee includes the cost of a continental breakfast and lunch.

http://www.sneweatherconf.org/
Sponsored by So. New England NOAA
You get to meet many of the media wonks you want to bash
Be the first one on your block to disseminate misinformation and BS!

A Perspective on the Accuracy of Meteorologists

WINTER BLITZ 2015 - NWS Overview

WINTER BLITZ 2015 - Broadcast Meteorologist Perspective
Snowmaggedon, But No Wave-o-Saurus
Winter Outlook for 2015-2016

wonks from
National Weather Service-Taunton, MA
AccuWeather, Inc. - State College, PA
WCNC-TV - Charlotte, NC
National Severe Storms Laboratory
WCVB-TV 5 Boston, MA
The Weather Company / WSI - Andover, MA

yeggous

[FONT=helvetica,arial][SIZE=-1]Southern New England Weather Conference
Saturday October 24, 2015, $89
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Your registration fee includes the cost of a continental breakfast and lunch.

http://www.sneweatherconf.org/
Sponsored by So. New England NOAA
You get to meet many of the media wonks you want to bash
Be the first one on your block to disseminate misinformation and BS!

A Perspective on the Accuracy of Meteorologists

WINTER BLITZ 2015 - NWS Overview

WINTER BLITZ 2015 - Broadcast Meteorologist Perspective
Snowmaggedon, But No Wave-o-Saurus
Winter Outlook for 2015-2016

wonks from
National Weather Service-Taunton, MA
AccuWeather, Inc. - State College, PA
WCNC-TV - Charlotte, NC
National Severe Storms Laboratory
WCVB-TV 5 Boston, MA
The Weather Company / WSI - Andover, MA

I've attended before and am thinking about it this year. It's a nice way for me to catch up with colleagues that I have not seen since college. The talks are largely targeted at the general public. Teachers can get continuing education credits for attendance so that is a major target market.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

Aha! I'v outted yeggous! A professional weather weanie! :razz:

Yes, it is true. I am a professional meteorologist. I try to keep my head low in the weather threads.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

I vote we make you the moderator for the weather forum.

How interested would people be in a New England skiing-related weather blog? Where do people get this kind of information today?

If there is a sufficient information vacuum I could be convinced to give it a try for shits and giggles. I'd likely need some web development help or pointers getting started with the graphic design of the front end.

Cannonball

How interested would people be in a New England skiing-related weather blog? Where do people get this kind of information today?

If there is a sufficient information vacuum I could be convinced to give it a try for shits and giggles. I'd likely need some web development help or pointers getting started with the graphic design of the front end.

Not so fast. The primary value of this sub-forum is that the amatuer misinformation and blather does a great job of sending people in the wrong direction or keeping them home. Your expertise could destroy that.

dlague

Not so fast. The primary value of this sub-forum is that the amatuer misinformation and blather does a great job of sending people in the wrong direction or keeping them home. Your expertise could destroy that.

We missed that sarcasm!

yeggous

We missed that sarcasm!

I saw his point. This is just a toy idea. To make this work I'd need graphic design skills which I am sorely lacking. I could definitely handling the server administration and software engineering. We development seems to bridge that grey area between graphic design and software.

I poked around a bit with the idea. It seems very straightforward to deploy a Wordpress site via AWS. The complications arise in customizing that site, and figuring out how to monetize it to a point where it at least breaks even. I'm not looking to spend money supporting the infrastructure.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I saw his point. This is just a toy idea. To make this work I'd need graphic design skills which I am sorely lacking. I could definitely handling the server administration and software engineering. We development seems to bridge that grey area between graphic design and software.

I poked around a bit with the idea. It seems very straightforward to deploy a Wordpress site via AWS. The complications arise in customizing that site, and figuring out how to monetize it to a point where it at least breaks even. I'm not looking to spend money supporting the infrastructure.
There are a couple of web sites which would be good templates to follow.
I used snowforecast.com until they lost their east coast amateur Met. who was excellent.
Now I use snow-forecast.com, (note they hyphen) which I actually pay short money for a subscription. For a UK-based service they have been doing a damned good job over the past two years I've used them. I really like the elevation base/mid/summit forecast/actuals No idea how they do it, perhaps by extrapolation, but it works whatever it is. With elevation correlated against the actual mountain profile, it works well.