• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Son Got Stationed at Fort Carson , CO

dlague

Talk about a skiing soldier's dream. First duty station was in Germany for 2.5 years (9 months out of that in Afghanistan) where he got to ski in four different countries across the Alps, Austria, Switzerland, Germany and Italy. Now he just got orders to be stationed at Fort Carson. Colorado. Could not have scripted it any better for someone who loves to ski.

Guess who is making a trip out there?

FtCarson.jpg

I guess Fort Lewis would be a good next place to land! However he thinks he will serve out the next 2. 5 years there - not shabby.

dlague

^ I know - awesome!

There are the resorts that stick out like Vail, Steamboat, Breck, and Snomass as well a a host of other recognizable resort names but sometime the most fun is not always the better known. Like Loveland intrigues me.

So this begs the question - Which CO ski areas should be considered and why?

Smellytele

^ I know - awesome!

There are the resorts that stick out like Vail, Steamboat, Breck, and Snomass as well a a host of other recognizable resort names but sometime the most fun is not always the better known. Like Loveland intrigues me.

So this begs the question - Which CO ski areas should be considered and why?

A-basin. great terrain and is less expensive than the ones you mention.

Cornhead

I've only been to two so far, both were great, A basin, and Wolf Creek. They're both kinda anti-resort places. Have fun, CO is pretty cool, legal weed to boot.

Smellytele

my nephew and his wife were both stationed there in the 90's. While it was only about 2 1/2 hrs from Breck it does have a pass to go over that can be interesting. Not highway driving like 70 out of Denver.

mister moose

While it was only about 2 1/2 hrs from Breck it does have a pass to go over that can be interesting. Not highway driving like 70 out of Denver.

Not sure how you drove there, but it's 90 minutes. It's a 4 lane up Woodland pass, then a long drive through (not making this up) South Park, and then Hoosier pass. The only two issues I had in years of doing that drive were

1) White out conditions in South Park. This only happened once, but when it's bad, it's bad. No features what so ever to give guidance as to where the road is.

2) Hoosier is a 2 lane pass, fairly snowy, and can be icy on the rare day. Down hill black ice, although it was patchy, the larger patches could be mighty scary if a semi was on the way up in the other lane.

However the usual drive is clear pavement through the boonies. I'm guessing the ticket writing cop is still there in Fairplay.

With Independence pass closed in the winter, Aspen is a pipe dream. Summit County is your playground, with Crested Butte a good option. Vail is farther if you feel the need to make the pilgrimage. Loveland? I suppose, but why bother?

Have a yard of ale at the Golden Bee at the Broadmoor.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I know many people that would rather ski Loveland than Vail, Breck, Copper. Some people don't care for resorts and the crowds they bring

jimmywilson69

Loveland is great. I would ski there and A-Basin. the others are great too, but they are mega-resorts as you already know.

A-Basin and Loveland both have that east coast, boot up at your car vibe. The Basin has better expert terrain but there is lots of good stuff at Loveland as well.

drjeff

You gotta at least hit Vail once when the snow is soft and the Back Bowls are wide open, they are really impressive both for what they offer terrain wise and also if it's a clear day, just how massive they are!!

The drive up I-70 into Summit County can be interesting if the weather is sketchy or its a weekend powder day as the traffic from the Denver metropolis heading up to get some turns can create miles long delay getting up to the Eisenhower Tunnel and out to Frisco where a bunch of the masses start getting off I-70 to head to Breck

skiNEwhere

I was wondering about the Winter park train and whether that is worth doing?

Sadly they ceased operations a few years ago.

Only ski area you can get to via transit is eldora by using the RTD.

I would get an epic pass, fast. The price is $579 and it pays for itself in 4 days. Price goes up sept 7th.

You may qualify for the patriot pass (military) which falls under the Rocky Mountain super pass. For $379 you get unlimited winter park, copper, and eldora. 6 days steamboat, 3 days crested butte (closer to Colorado Springs than Denver), and looks like they just added 3 days Alyeska.

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

And you really can't pick just one resort. I mean, can you pick one resort on the east coast?

With that said I prefer Breckinridge for its technical terrain, and winter park for its bumps.

BTW, that $579 I just mentioned is for the epic local. The full epic is like $200 more. You don't need the full epic unless you want to ski at some of Vail Resorts oversea partners or at Vail or Beaver Creek more than 10 days without any blackout restrictions

The epic local comes with 10 days total at Vail and Beaver Creek with blackout restrictions. The full epic has unlimited days at Vail at BC with no blackout dates.... Trust me, you don't wanna ski during blackout dates....

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1441315792.746305.jpg

I didn't see Copper on your map. Definitely worth spending some time there as it's a great mountain, holds snow well and close to others in Summit County.

snoseek

I avoided all things Vail for my three years in colorado and mostly skied Loveland but also a fair bit of winter park and a little copper. Honestly the further you get away from denver the better Colorado gets IMO. Loveland/abasin being the exception. Monarch looks reasonable...little area but lots of fun. Also taos is too far for a day trip but for a couple days you got a nice jump start on the drive down there.

Either way 285 is your road it looks like which beats the hell out of i70.

Smellytele

Not sure how you drove there, but it's 90 minutes. It's a 4 lane up Woodland pass, then a long drive through (not making this up) South Park, and then Hoosier pass. The only two issues I had in years of doing that drive were

1) White out conditions in South Park. This only happened once, but when it's bad, it's bad. No features what so ever to give guidance as to where the road is.

2) Hoosier is a 2 lane pass, fairly snowy, and can be icy on the rare day. Down hill black ice, although it was patchy, the larger patches could be mighty scary if a semi was on the way up in the other lane.

However the usual drive is clear pavement through the boonies. I'm guessing the ticket writing cop is still there in Fairplay.

With Independence pass closed in the winter, Aspen is a pipe dream. Summit County is your playground, with Crested Butte a good option. Vail is farther if you feel the need to make the pilgrimage. Loveland? I suppose, but why bother?

Have a yard of ale at the Golden Bee at the Broadmoor.

Google maps shows 2:20 route 24 to 9

jimk

Best wishes. Looks like I am going to have a son living in western ski country too this year and has me thinking about how to capitalize, a little further west than yours.
As you may know there are so many good pass products to consider in CO it makes your head spin:
If you or son don't want to commit to a season pass there are lots of four pack type products out in CO. Here is a link to those for Steamboat, Winter Park and Copper. http://www.skicolorado.com/SingleMountain_PackProducts.html As you may know Loveland offers cheap four packs too on their website.
It appears that Loveland would be the closest ski area at about 2 hours and their adult season pass is $389 with 3 days each at Monarch and Crested Butte. Monarch and A-Basin would be about 2.5 hours with passes at $449 (3 days each copper loveland, cooper) and $299 (3 days Taos) each. Copper season pass is $399 with 3 days at Monarch and Taos. You already got the info about the EpicPass and competitive Rocky Mtn Superpass.
Some deals may expire or change soon. Many places have milt discounts.

Last edited:

SkiFanE

Well that's the best reward I can think of for his service. :flag: Hats off to you all!