I am a sick bastard

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am a sick bastard

Today is my Dad's 92nd birthday. I'm typing this from his bedside in a nursing home. His 93rd birthday is questionable. This is what I got him for a gift. If it were a winner, I'm pretty sure he would've let me claim it. My birthday was last week. What can I say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Thanks for everything Dad, it's my pleasure to give back a little.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    Today is my Dad's 92nd birthday. I'm typing this from his bedside in a nursing home. His 93rd birthday is questionable. This is what I got him for a gift. If it were a winner, I'm pretty sure he would've let me claim it. My birthday was last week. What can I say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Thanks for everything Dad, it's my pleasure to give back a little.
    Sick is the new Normal.....I've bought a few of those tickets , every time I do my mind replaces the "L" with a "W"
    Hope he's comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    Sick is the new Normal.....I've bought a few of those tickets , every time I do my mind replaces the "L" with a "W"
    Hope he's comfortable.
    Thanks, our hope is he can get back home, he's at the nursing home for rehab from hip replacement. It is not a fun place to be. Not fun to the tune of $300 per day. Hopefully his Medicaid and supplemental insurance will cover his stay. He's here for at least another month.

If he does make it home, I'm looking into getting him into one on one therapy in the pool at the local YMCA. Before he fell and broke his hip he was doing as little as possible physically. It is a downward spiral. Water is the ideal medium for old people to work there muscles without straining their joints. I know, I'm an old person with bad joints. I'm also hoping this will encourage my Mom to give water aerobics a try. The Y has several different group programs. Rusty Hinges, Aqua Zumba, etc. Hey, use it, or lose it. I told my Mom I would probably fall over if all I did was sit in a chair 8 hrs a day and tried to walk.

If I were a younger man, I'd consider the health care field. All the babyboomers will be in need of care as they become elderly. Seems to me their care will be a booming business, pun intended. Logically all this effort to extend a 92 yr old's life seems rather silly. But when it's a 92 yr old you love, it's a different story. I'm am curious to see what the total bill will be. I'm sure it will be astronomical.

I used to think it would be best if Dad went suddenly, but the connection we've made through this ordeal is priceless. It never would've happened otherwise. I'm grateful for that. It has been an extremely tough row for him to hoe, even with tons of support from his family. Those without such support must really be suffering.
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point
    My dad birthday to great dinner with him and family tonight have fantastic birthday to your dad cornbread lol

Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point
    68 years young

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Cornhead, you are a wise man. You are much deeper than your chasing snowstorms persona would reveal. I wish you and your family health, luck and love. PS. My mom is 80 and does water aerobics twice a week I believe. She's hanging in there pretty well and I no doubt think the water aerobics helps her stay fit and active.

Bob, hoping that your dad gets well soon. Cornhead is a wise man... Professor Cornhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Bob, hoping that your dad gets well soon. Cornhead is a wise man... Professor Cornhead.
    Thanks GD, trying to get back on 2nd shift, could be you, me, and even older people up at Greek this year. Humm, wonder if Dad wants to learn to ski?
    Leave no turn unstoned!

CH You are the epitome of a GOOD Son !! The love , effort and devotion you are demonstrating in this challenge is testimony to the good person you really are . Many are not as fortunate to people like you in their lives and face their final chapter inrelative emotional isolation save for their professional caregiver (s) Your advice is not only correct but wise .

Aqua Therapy would not only help rehab the body but the social connectedness that often occurs from attending regular rehab programs is JUST the prescription for feeding the spirit . I know !!! when i had open heart six yrs ago i did the 6 week cardiac rehab and liked the people so much that NOT only did " the Queen " go regularly and work out with me BUT we still go 2/3 times a week today .. We have. Helped ourselves and made several great friends there.

Know that our prayers are with you and your dad , keep positive Big Guy

One more thing as an old College educator and Hospital board member let me tell you .......it is NEVER too late to fo back and GET that education dor a career in medical or allied health fields . Many two yr colleges have rhese programs and help is availbe . AND you are RIGHT about the durure for employment in this field , Demographic projections for need support that .

keep on ,keepin on

W
    Surround yourself with Positivity , Live Life , Collect Friends not Stuff and Avoid Negative Nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    Thanks, our hope is he can get back home, he's at the nursing home for rehab from hip replacement. It is not a fun place to be. Not fun to the tune of $300 per day. Hopefully his Medicaid and supplemental insurance will cover his stay. He's here for at least another month.

If he does make it home, I'm looking into getting him into one on one therapy in the pool at the local YMCA. Before he fell and broke his hip he was doing as little as possible physically. It is a downward spiral. Water is the ideal medium for old people to work there muscles without straining their joints. I know, I'm an old person with bad joints. I'm also hoping this will encourage my Mom to give water aerobics a try. The Y has several different group programs. Rusty Hinges, Aqua Zumba, etc. Hey, use it, or lose it. I told my Mom I would probably fall over if all I did was sit in a chair 8 hrs a day and tried to walk.

If I were a younger man, I'd consider the health care field. All the babyboomers will be in need of care as they become elderly. Seems to me their care will be a booming business, pun intended. Logically all this effort to extend a 92 yr old's life seems rather silly. But when it's a 92 yr old you love, it's a different story. I'm am curious to see what the total bill will be. I'm sure it will be astronomical.

I used to think it would be best if Dad went suddenly, but the connection we've made through this ordeal is priceless. It never would've happened otherwise. I'm grateful for that. It has been an extremely tough row for him to hoe, even with tons of support from his family. Those without such support must really be suffering.
    I wish you the best and hope your dad recovers. You have been demonstrating a very sensitive and close side of you this summer. Take care of yourself. As far as going quickly, well my dad did and it is tough since it always seems like there are things you wished you would have said. Don't get me wrong, I was close to my parents, but still. My mother, well technically she is taking the very slow route. Physically - tough as nails - mentally not so much. That is hard.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Thread Information